"Top of the line" VIC-20

Discuss anything related to the VIC
BeLucid
Vic 20 Newbie

"Top of the line" VIC-20

Post by BeLucid »

Alright gents (and ladies?). Let's have some fun...

Let's suppose money is no object.... your only goal is to build out the "dream" VIC-20 system. A completely kitted out, top of the line Wonder VIC-20. Like those PC mags that build out a "Dream PC" for $10k.

Only limit is it has to be something that is made or was made at some point. Let's not suggest creating raw new silicon here.

What could you do? What would a top of the line system have for add-ons, monitor, storage, carts, memory, software?

We can also have categories I suppose. One that was limited to things available up until 1986 and one that includes modern kit as well.

Let the ideas fly!
Sean
BeLucid
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: "Top of the line" VIC-20

Post by BeLucid »

I'll answer my own post to start the ball rolling....

Let's talk storage. It seems the contenders are:

Tape (gotta have 1 I suppose!):
Commodore Datasette
One of those tape emulators that work off an MP3? Those any good? Better?
Anything else to consider?

Floppies:
Dual 1571's?
Dual 1540's?
Can a VIC drive 1581's?

Bulk Storage:
CMD Hard Drive
1541 Ultimate II
Commodore Flyer
SD2IEC (there seem to be a lot of these, are some better than others?)

Am I missing some good options? What would you pick from this "menu"? Are we limited to 8,9,10,11 + tape? I guess we can hang things off a CMD on the SCSI chain too, yes? Or would we need free serial IDs for those (I don't know the CMD, having never been in the presence of one).
Sean
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I think most hard-core users here have most of what you speak of. And when asked how often and what do you do on their tricked-out VIC, well, I get the impression there are ~5 that use original equipment "regularly".

Now to answer your question with your specific examples: yes. :P

A working VIC 20, a composite cable or modded for S/Video if you must for a real phosphor-based monitor or a pricey LED supporting composite input (like mine below), SD2IEC and a Mega-Cart. Emulation is all you need; the rest is collector/nostalgia zeal.

Click to enlarge:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I agree with Robert. Moreover, I must say I aldready have all I ever dreamt of (and feel lucky :)).
Honestly, if I could choose whatever I want regardless of the money, I'd better buy a complete working Commdore PET system :mrgreen:
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I pretty much have the dream VIC-20 system I always wanted right now. And, other than the Mega-Cart, it's pretty much all vintage gear (I don't really want at IEC SD solution as I prefer to use original hardware for the experience).

So let me imagine a "Dream" VIC-20 system as it would be for a user in 1982 (using only period hardware / software).

PET keyboard VIC-20, 2-prong power supply, with reset button modification.
8-slot Multi-slot cartridge port allowing combination of cartridges/RAM.
28K or 32K RAM expansion.
Programmer's Aid cartridge, Super Expander, Machine language monitor cartridge.
two 1540 disc drives (not 1541)
IEEE cartridge to allow use of PET peripherals on the VIC-20
PET dual disk drive or PET CBM hard drive
1200 baud commodore modem
A nice word processor
a NLQ dot matrix printer (on a Xectec or other printer interface) - likely a STAR printer as I liked those
DEFINITELY an 80-column display board like a Protecto or DATA-20.
A 1701 monitor AND a monochrome green or amber monitor (the latter monitor for the 80-column graphics card)
A speaker attached to the user port for a fourth voice
A Wico joystick
A Commodore made desk
A HES relay cartridge to allow me to control electronic devices from the VIC
An external number keypad for the VIC-20
All the Scott Adams adventure games
SWORD OF FARGOAL cassette! (couldn't be without it on the VIC-20)

(...loads of other games. I won't go into games here as the list would immediately double).

This is all that I can think of for now. I have pretty much all of this except I am missing any sort of IEEE CBM/PET disk drive and the HES electronic relay cartridge.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
TBCVIC
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TBCVIC »

I'd say FE3 is a must have. If I ever complete my game, it's gonna be needed. :)
Ola Andersson
Questarian
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Questarian »

At This point, the only missing piece in my VIC setup is an 40/80 column cart...
TBCVIC wrote:I'd say FE3 is a must have. If I ever complete my game, it's gonna be needed. :)
Definetly, I have an FE3 and it's probably one of the best VIC-20 add-on's out there... if it had a 40/80 column output option, I'd say it was damd near perfect... It's shortcommings are that it's only available as a DYI kit, documentation didn't come with the kit and it took a bit of hunting and begging to get/find, some of the support software is bit a bit buggy, once you flash something you have reflash the whole firmware to get rid of it, the home site's been down well over a year, and it seems like development been stalled at least as long.... and to top it off the sale sites down at moment.

-John-