Wireless Xbox 360 controller with VICE

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Wireless Xbox 360 controller with VICE

Post by Macguyver »

Anyone had any luck getting a wireless Xbox 360 controller to work with their VICE emulator setup on a PC?

I'm working with Gamebase Vic20 V2.0 as a frontend running Vice 2.4 and I'm not having complete success. While I have managed to get the XBOX analog stick recognized in Vice, what I really want to do is to have it recognize the D-PAD.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been fooling around with Xpadder but even though it recognizes the control input from the D-PAD, this seems only useful to have it register a keypress, and I'm not sure if that is the right avenue to solve this.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

On Linux (perhaps for Windows too), I've been using the XboxDRV solution instead of the kernel's xpad module.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

rhurst wrote:On Linux (perhaps for Windows too), I've been using the XboxDRV solution instead of the kernel's xpad module.
Thanks for the tip. I looked into it but it appears to be only for Linux.

I was able to work something out using Xpadder so I finally have the controllers working. Thanks for the suggestion.
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Wireless Xbox 360 controller with VICE

Post by telengard »

Macguyver wrote:Anyone had any luck getting a wireless Xbox 360 controller to work with their VICE emulator setup on a PC?

I'm working with Gamebase Vic20 V2.0 as a frontend running Vice 2.4 and I'm not having complete success. While I have managed to get the XBOX analog stick recognized in Vice, what I really want to do is to have it recognize the D-PAD.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been fooling around with Xpadder but even though it recognizes the control input from the D-PAD, this seems only useful to have it register a keypress, and I'm not sure if that is the right avenue to solve this.
I got this working through a LOT of trial and error. The D-pad is a "POV hat" so what I used was Joy2Key to remap to the numpad keys (which is an option in Vice). I have a set-top box with a custom front end to play old games, but this should be the same on your PC.

hope that helps!
~telengard
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Wireless Xbox 360 controller with VICE

Post by Macguyver »

Thanks for the feedback!