being a Vic-20 user in 1987 compared to 2013

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

being a Vic-20 user in 1987 compared to 2013

Post by Boray »

The difference between being a Vic-20 user in 1987 compared to 2013

My brother bought a Vic-20 in 1982. In 1987 when my friends started to get home computers, I bought the Vic-20 from my brother.

1987: The Vic-20 was considered really uncool. The C64 was cool. The Vic-20 was just totally obsolete.

2013: The Vic-20 is retro! It's even more retro than the C64 as the Vic20 is older and more original. The C64 was just a second version of the Vic-20.

1987: I used a black and white TV set. Because of the 50Hz PAL system, the image was flickering.

2013: I use my Vic-20 with a modern LED TV. I've got colors (of course), different zooming modes suitable for different games. Zooming on the standard Vic screen size is perfect use of the widescreen format and the picture is totally stable/no flickering.

1987: I used a datasette (tape drive) as my only storage device. Loading an 8K program took about 3 minutes.

2013: I use a SD2IEC with a 4GB SD card. Loading an 8K program takes 1.3 seconds (with SJLOAD). The card can store about half a million Vic-20 games which seems more than enough.

1987: I had 16K of expansion ram. I frequently had to unplug it and set the dip switches to be able to load different things.

2013: With a fully expanded vic I never have to unpug anything any more. My vic-menu program unexpands the computer automatically when loading an unexpanded program. With a reset button and some other switches at hand, I don't even have to turn the vic off.

1987: I already had a lot of software, and that was lucky because during one year, I only manage to get hold of new vic-20 programs twice!

2013: Now I can meet fellow Vic-20 users on the internet on a daily basis through discussion boards. And most Vic-20 software ever released is available on the net. It's just to put it on the SD card and it's ready for the Vic.

1987: Vic-20 was my only computer and it was reasonably powerful compared to what others had. It was even faster than the c64 (even though I didn't know this at the time).

2013: The vic-20 is a dinosaur compared to my main computer. You can for example emulate a Vic-20 very well, or a bunch of them simultaneously. Today's computers are amazing. But the Vic-20 will survive them too! Who will use a dual core running Windows 7 30 years from now because the fun of it? Nobody I think. The Vic 20 is for us what a steam engine is for a train fan. Modern computers also offers new development tools for the Vic-20. But I think it's more fun to do things on the Vic-20 directly. This post was written on a Vic-20! (Using Write Now and my WN2ASCII converter program). Now let's save this to the SD card and get on with it. Using a Vic-20 has never been better. Bye from Boray's Vic. :-)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Boray

Thanks for your travel back to the past, I have the same feeling as you descripe. The Vic is cool and alway will be for us who was lucky to have this friendly computer for our first computer-love <3

I run my on an old crt tv, it gives me the right feel sound and smell, kind of old garage smell with a bit of burned :-)

Once again, thanks for sharing :-)

I am writing this on my Ipad, with no soul or charm what so ever, only cold metal and sharp edges...
Kind regards, Peter.
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I agree entirely. Modern computers are about as exciting as comparing toasters. I consider myself lucky to have grown up in the 8-bit era.
3^4 is 81.0000001
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: being a Vic-20 user in 1987 compared to 2013

Post by Witzo »

Wonderful post!

I'll borrow this one when my friends give me a strange look about my retro habit:
Boray wrote:The Vic 20 is for us what a steam engine is for a train fan.
Here some of the feeling that comes with the VIC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkoC1DwimhY
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

Absolutely! What people used to refer to as "old junk" is now "retro".

If only more people had felt that way 20 years ago, when they were throwing their 8-bit machines into dumpsters... :(
BCNU,
Louis
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by fsporsche »

I feel the same way, computers were more fun to learn things from back in the day. Today it's seems computers lost their fun factor, they are just
Tools that you need to do work on. I got my first Vic-20 in 1981 and taught myself to program on, play games and learn word processing etc. there was not a day I did not use it, now I need to buy a new Vic-20 because after 30 years it died, I don't think I will ever get that much life out of a PC or Mac computer.
Tony Mokonen
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tony Mokonen »

Muzz73 wrote:If only more people had felt that way 20 years ago, when they were throwing their 8-bit machines into dumpsters... :(
Eerie that you should say that. Sadly, I was one of those idiots that did that, exactly 20 years ago, 1993. Computer, tape drive, tapes, cartridges, and books, all gone. :( :( :( I now especially regret throwing away the book Compute!'s VIC-20 Collection, as it is quite expensive to purchase the book, and I can't even find a PDF of this book anywhere.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Tony Mokonen »

I have enjoyed visiting the bombjack site, but unfortunately Compute!'s VIC-20 Collection is not available there. I think it was the last VIC-20 book that Compute! published, and the book contains no reprinted material from either Compute! Magazine or Compute!'s Gazette.
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

I was wondering if the young people of today feel for their pc (or smartphone?) what we felt back in the days.
I'm not talking sentiments of course! Just enjoyment, interest and wish to learn.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I think with so many devices in the modern home competing for attention, the attachment is likely much less...

....I wonder if folks will dig out an old Android smartphone or a quaint PS3 in 20 years time.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

More to the point, I wonder if modern electronics, which seem to be designed to deliberately fail after a certain amount of time, are really as future-friendly as the old 8 bits have been.
TMR
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TMR »

pallas wrote:I was wondering if the young people of today feel for their pc (or smartphone?) what we felt back in the days.
I'm not talking sentiments of course! Just enjoyment, interest and wish to learn.
From what i've seen and gathered, very few of them even see mobiles as being a computer as such and merely use it or a desktop/laptop as a means to another end, that being communicating. The common "knowledge" is that kids today are more computer literate because they have a greater exposure, but that's only partially true because they rarely get a chance to dirty their hands like we did twenty five to thirty years ago; school computer systems in particular and mobile phones in general tend to be locked down pretty tightly to prevent the kind of tinkering i remember doing on the VIC and C64 back in the day for example.

The Raspberry Pi and some changes to the curriculum are going some way to addressing that here in the UK but things like programming will probably always remain a niche interest for the general public.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Tony Mokonen wrote:I have enjoyed visiting the bombjack site, but unfortunately Compute!'s VIC-20 Collection is not available there.
On archive.org, there's a couple of books from Compute! called the Commodore Collection. The site says C64, but the listings are for VIC too. Could these be what you're looking for?

http://archive.org/details/COMPUTES_Com ... blications

OT, sorry!
Tony Mokonen
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tony Mokonen »

Kweepa wrote:On archive.org, there's a couple of books from Compute! called the Commodore Collection. The site says C64, but the listings are for VIC too. Could these be what you're looking for?

OT, sorry!
Hi Kweepa. Sorry, that wasn't the book I was looking for, but thank you for the links. I actually owned the Commodore Collection Volume Two book back in the day :).

The book I was looking for is this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Computes-Vic-20-Co ... 0874550076

It was published in 1985, and is quite a thick book, with about 70 type-in programs. The cheapest used copies I've seen go for around $90, which is out of my budget currently. I did see one web page with a PDF link...

http://www.pdfebooks.mobi/computes-vic- ... -29669893/

but they are asking for a credit card number, and I am not sure that this site is trustworthy.