CC65, conio and non-standard screen sizes

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

CC65, conio and non-standard screen sizes

Post by hawk »

Jim has got me playing with cc65 again and I've revisited a project that I'd shelved a long time ago.

One of the reasons I shelved the project was because I wanted to use the conio functions in C, however the screen size I am using is non-standard.

The conio functions in the default Vic20 library that comes with cc65 assume that it's using the default screen size (as, I believe, do the screen kernel routines for the Vic20.)

Has anyone gone to the trouble of modifying the default vic20 library for cc65 to read the screen size from memory?

What other options have people used for outputting text to a non-standard screen size in cc65?
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

I'd like to know that as well. I wanted to add a couple columns, just to have a bit more room.
I've tried conio and stdio functions but no luck.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

check the "cc65-portlib" here: http://hitmen.c02.at/html/tools_portlib.html ... it includes code for 26 columns and also a soft-40 driver for vic20. it is 10 years old by now though and will probably need a few adjustments to work with a recent cc65.
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

Thanks for the response Groepaz.

After a cursory glance, this looks very similar to what I'm after. It appears to read the screen sizes on an initialise call but it also appears that it needs to be rebuilt for different screen sizes. The other question is how many changes will require to compile with the lastest cc65...well maybe not the latest (2.14.0)...there appear to be some issues with that version for me.

I'll need to look into it further.