Need help diagnosing video issue with a recently bought VIC

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

sanchezmanVIC
Vic 20 Newbie

Need help diagnosing video issue with a recently bought VIC

Post by sanchezmanVIC »

So I recently acquired a VIC-20. It powers on, but when it plugs into a TV, all that it displays is a white box without borders. I read that an AM radio can be used to detect interference from the computer to detect whether or not the chips inside are working. When I held a radio tuned to about 720 kHz near the computer as it turned on, it gave an audible "Bee boo" over the radio.

Here's a link to a video of the computer turning on with the screen and the radio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_xexVqClQ

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is it something as simple as a broken RF modulator, or something more complicated?

Thanks for any help!
HermanVIC
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by HermanVIC »

The radio hash is produced by the VIC chip, the noise is a good sign the VIC chip is working.

Regards
Herman
sanchezmanVIC
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by sanchezmanVIC »

Are there any simple things I can clean or reseat inside the computer? The inside is very dust free, but not being too familiar with a soldering iron or a multimeter, I don't want to get in over my head while cleaning it.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

sanchezmanVIC wrote:Are there any simple things I can clean or reseat inside the computer? The inside is very dust free, but not being too familiar with a soldering iron or a multimeter, I don't want to get in over my head while cleaning it.
You don't say what country you're from so its impossible to tell if you have a PAL or NTSC machine.

It seems to me this problem is too complex to solve with only this description of the symptoms.
Be normal.
sanchezmanVIC
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by sanchezmanVIC »

eslapion wrote: You don't say what country you're from so its impossible to tell if you have a PAL or NTSC machine.
Sorry about that. I'm in the USA, and it seems that my VIC-20 is NTSC (the back says 117v @60hz). The serial number is P726404 and says "Made in USA" if that helps any.

Taking a look at the VIC chip, it is the 6560 variant. How can I remove it to check that the pins are clean? The metal housing around it prevents me from grasping it lengthwise.

Also, I just realized that the processor says: 6502 B (new line) 3382
Is this a 6502-B processor? Shouldn't it be 6502 A?
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

Hmm... it couldn't hurt switching out the 6502. It did originally come with a 6502-A, so if it burned out, someone, somewhere may have replaced it with the 6502-B from an 8-bit Atari. They are nearly identical and are even pin compatable, but the 6502-B has a HALT line for the Atari's ANTIC graphics co-processor. I've always thought that it didn't interfere with anything on different systems, but who knows... I could be way off on that!
BCNU,
Louis
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

In my VIC-20, I also have a MOS 6502B. That's just the variant of the 6502 rated for 3 MHz (bare 6502: 1 MHz, 6502A: 2 MHz). Of course it also runs at lower frequencies like the ~1 MHz of the VIC-20. Commodore just used any CPU that was available.

The variant of the 6502 used in the 8-bit Ataris and featuring the /HALT pin is the 6502C.