N00b with a busted Vic-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Z0rb
Vic 20 Amateur

N00b with a busted Vic-20

Post by Z0rb »

Hello All,

In case you cannot tell from the subject, I am a n00b when it comes to Vic-20s. I will admit, since the early 80's as a kid I have dreamed of having one (not sure why since I had a TI994a), but here I am in my early 40's and I snagged a broken one off of eBay with the intent on resurrecting it.

A little info on the Vic I have. It is an older style with the two prong AC adapter.

I had hoped that only a fuse burned out and upon opening it I was greeted with just that. I replaced the fuse and fired it up. I had to piece together a video cable since I did not have an RF modulator. The red light was on but I only received a blank screen. I know that SOMETHING was happening since my composite input portable DVD player went from a blue screen to a black one.

I did a little reading on the subject and checked some voltages. I took the heat sink off of the full wave bridge rectifier and put some more heat grease on it, screwed things back together and read some voltages. It appears that all the chips were getting the recommended 5 volts. I viewed the ripple on the voltage with my little handheld 5 MHz scope and saw that there was nearly no ripple. The big fat juicy cap in the power supply also seemed to be functioning properly.

I turned the Vic off and set my probes up to look at the output pin of the 555 timer used to reset the CPU. When I turned the machine back on the pin was high and stayed there. (Keep in mind I checked this pin before the inverter). I suppose this is part of the problem. Can a bad cap in this circuit cause this behavior? Also if I take pin 3 from the 555 and ground it through a 330 ohm resistor will that trigger a logic change in the reset circuit?

Next I moved on to look at the clock signal. I suppose the 14Mhz signal going into the the 6560 gets chopped down to around 1Mhz coming out of the 6560? Is this correct? Also there is a variable cap near the Xtal does this adjust frequency or does it help initiate oscillation?My scope could not see something that high in frequency so I am not sure that the clock is functioning properly.

I did check the clock going into the 6502 and only saw what appeared to be around a 1 volt P-P sine wave. Is this correct? When I looked at the data sheet for the 6560 it states that the clock should be a solid 5 volt signal. My question here is. Is the clock signal supposed to be a 5 volt square wave running at approx 1Mhz at the 6502?

Can anyone comment on the questions in red? I try to probe the machine for at least an hour each night to learn a little more, I'd really like to get this thing working since I am getting sick of playing with a VIC emulation :)

Any help would be great
Thank You
Mikeyb
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Mikeyb »

In answer to your first question regarding the reset circuit, I recently got a Commodore 64 which had the same problem, the reset signal would not behave properly (it stayed low, or high, cant remember which!)

I changed the capacitor associated with the 555 timer (556 on a c64) which fixed it

Mike
Z0rb
Vic 20 Amateur

Holy Smokes!

Post by Z0rb »

Well I poked and prodded a bit and I manged to get it to boot up, so life is good!

Thanks All for the help.[/img]
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Have you checked Ray Carlsens's vic-20 diagnostics page?

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/vic20/v20diag.txt

There might be interresting leads in there.

Good luck with resurecting the vic. We can never have too many vics on this rock!
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

oh darn... did not notice your success! congrats!!!
Z0rb
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Z0rb »

I did read Ray's page and it did help a lot in the initial process and seeing how the Vic is put together.

Thanks again
HermanVIC
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by HermanVIC »

What does poked and prodded mean in electronics terms, what did you do to fix it.

Herman
Z0rb
Vic 20 Amateur

Hmmm

Post by Z0rb »

I am not actually sure what I did. Really I just opened it up, replaced a burned out fuse, and removed the heat sink on the the rectifier and smeared more heat grease on it. I then hit is all with compressed air and took a clorox wipe and wiped it all down.

I suppose something could have been loose or dusty that was causing the problem.

It seems to work just fine now.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

The on/off switch if often damaged (corroded) and need a little massage to get on track again.
Kind regards, Peter.

heh

Post by Z0rb »

I AM THE VIC-20 MASSEUSE!

Ok maybe now :)
HermanVIC
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by HermanVIC »

You had some very good questions that I hope someone answers. Your posting is the first sign of real technical analysis, thank you. To bad the fix ended up in massaging for a solution, that doesn't help at all.

Regards
Herman
Z0rb
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Z0rb »

To bad the fix ended up in massaging for a solution, that doesn't help at all.
It helped me, are you stuck with a non-functioning VIC?
HermanVIC
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by HermanVIC »

Yes I have a non functioning VIC20.

Could be a connection issue, there are a lot of recommendations to unplug and replug the socketed chips, which is a good idea.

You may have moved a chip ever so slightly during cleaning that caused a connection to be remade and correct the problem.

I believe the CPU clock should be a square wave.

The variable capacitor near the crystal of the 14 Mhz oscillator is to trim the frequency.

I liked your original approach prior to massaging solution. ha ha