The Ultimate Expander... the end of a nice story

Discuss anything related to the VIC
eslapion
ultimate expander

The Ultimate Expander... the end of a nice story

Post by eslapion »

Its funny to think about it but it brings back nice memories.

In late 2003, after I succeeded my first digital design course at university, I had the idea that it should be possible to use a single 32k SRAM chip I had lying around as a RAM expansion for my VIC-20.

By default, the VIC-20's memory banking system is really designed to use 8k chips. Converting this banking scheme back into extra address lines for a larger capacity memory chip eluded me in the past.

This chip was salvaged from a GVC modem that was completely outdated and was more than likely to end up in the trash can. Sure enough, I spent a dozen hours making the new expander using a development VECTOR board and it worked beautifully.

Around the summer of 2006, I mentioned this expansion board to Schema after viewing the content of his personnal VIC-20 web site.

He invited me to come over here, on Denial. I was very surprised to see so many people still interested in the VIC-20. Only a few months later the first professionnal quality made Ultimate Expander was available.

Its now been nearly 7 years since the first unit was sold. Now I have only one board left in stock.

I am just plain amazed when I think what people did with something which from the start was just a way to make a single chip expansion for the VIC-20.

If you have a special story about what you did with your Ultimate Expander, please let me know.
Be normal.
rmelick
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: The Ultimate Expander... the end of a nice story

Post by rmelick »

Any idea how many are out there in the wild?

I've owned two myself and appreciate them for many reasons including price and delivery. Thank you!! :)
Rick
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: The Ultimate Expander... the end of a nice story

Post by Alan »

eslapion wrote:Its funny to think about it but it brings back nice memories.
It sure does. What a great product that was, and is. I still have a couple prototypes around here somewhere, and it was fun writing up the user instructions for you. Has it really been that long ago?!? Wow.

My Ultimate Expander never leaves my VIC. It's so unobtrusive it's easy to forget it's even there. Thanks very much for creating it.
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Hi Alan,
Thank you so much for posting!

Thank you again for the very nice instructions you did back then. Glad to know the expander is still serving you well after all these years.
Be normal.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I haven't done much but play some great games with it. Imagine being part of a great RPG experience but being unable to play it on your very own Vic-20 for over a year!
Your expander made that happen! I'm able to watch various demos with the super hi-res screens and try out the newest stuff out there now.
Also, it served as a catalyst for me to start programming again.
I'm already writing software and now utilities for upcoming projects ;) - definitely a game-changer for me - thanks again!

:D
Learning all the time... :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

In all 50 gold plated boards were made plus 2 professionnal grade prototypes and one hand made prototype.

The very last one sold today.

BTW, I did have ONE single faulty unit which was repaired about a week ago.
Be normal.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

This was a really nice project and a great addition for the Vic-20 community.

Job well done!!!
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

6502dude wrote:This was a really nice project and a great addition for the Vic-20 community.

Job well done!!!
Thank you.

I think it sparked other projects which showed there was still a lot of new developments possible on the VIC.
Be normal.