Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

[Finished] Yacht Dice Game

Post by KingTrode »

Hi All

Thought I'd share some details of my new project: Yacht Dice

Yahtzee is based on this game and I'm sure most of you are familiar with it.

Initial/Title Screen

Game Play Screen 1
[Image

Game Play Screen 1

I went for this as I like playing the game and I've only ever seen one similar game for the VIC (though there could be others), and it's relatively simple to implement for somebody like me that's trying to get back into the swing of things.

I'm targeting the Unexpanded VIC for this ATM. though I'm 90% done free RAM is getting a bit on the low side.

It's written in 100% Machine Code except for the old one line basic SYS to get it started.

I should hopefully have a suitable PRG to upload soon for anyone to try if they fancy it, would of been today but I've introduced a bug whilst slimmimg the code down. :?

As it's a WIP the screen layout/graphics etc. are likely to change a bit over the next few days.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
Download
Last edited by KingTrode on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I got three Yahtzee based games in GB20, but this looks the best version so far ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mayhem wrote:I got three Yahtzee based games in GB20, but this looks the best version so far ;)
Hi Mayhem

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully it will be a half decent version of the game, either way it's a nice exercise for me to get back into VIC coding.

I should hopefully have a PRG available for download sometime tomorrow as a BETA for people to try out.

Free RAM is getting a bit sparse as it stands, but I do have a few things still that can be compressed down a little which will help out.

I still need to add some sound FX which is a new area for me as I've never done any in assembler before, so if any one has any recommended reading material they could point me towards I would appreciate it.

I think I can just about squeeze it all in to the 3.5k without cutting anything out - but time will tell :wink:

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Looking forward to it. Presume it's one player only?
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mayhem wrote:Looking forward to it. Presume it's one player only?
Well I plan for the finished version to support 1-4 players if I can squeeze it all in.

Watch this space.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Hi All

I have uploaded a PRG of the latest BETA of Yacht, the link is at the very bottom of the first post in this thread.

The current version is missing two features which still wish to implement (memory allowing) and still keep this for the Unexpanded VIC.

1) Multi-Player

I shall be looking into this over the next few days, so watch this space.

Controls (Displayed on screen):
F1 = Start a Game.
1-5 = Hold relevant die.
S = Select a score category ignoring any remaining rolls.
SPACE = Roll Dice (Max 3 Rolls).
A-M = Select a category to score in.
ANY key = Continue after Game Over.

Scoring (In-case your not familiar with the game):
Ones = Total of all 1's rolled
Twos = Total of all 2's rolled
Threes = Total of all 3's rolled
Fours = Total of all 4's rolled
Fives = Total of all 5's rolled
Sixes = Total of all 6's rolled

Bonus = If total of Ones-Sixes >=63 then 35 otherwise 0

3 of a Kind = 3 Dice same value (Score: Sum of those three dice).
4 of a Kind = 4 Dice same value (Score: Sum of those four dice).
Small Straight = Roll 4 consecutive numbers 1234 or 2345 or 3456 (Score: 25).
Big Straight = Roll 5 consecutive numbers 12345 or 23456 (Score: 30).
Full House = Roll 3 Dice same value plus 2 Dice Same Value (Score: 40).
Yacht = Roll 5 Dice same value (Score: 50).
Chance = Any combination of Dice allowed (Score: Total of all dice).

Maximum possible score is 357.

My best score is 306, see if you can beat it. :)

Any feedback/ recommendations / bug reports are always welcome.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
Last edited by KingTrode on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I was going to say that you'd got the small and large straights incorrect, but I looked up "Yacht" compared to "Yahtzee", and that's how they are scored in that version. However, the rest of the scoring IS per Yahtzee, and doesn't have any of the other Yacht changes (such as no upper section bonus, no three of a kind etc). So is this like a hybrid?
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mayhem wrote:I was going to say that you'd got the small and large straights incorrect, but I looked up "Yacht" compared to "Yahtzee", and that's how they are scored in that version. However, the rest of the scoring IS per Yahtzee, and doesn't have any of the other Yacht changes (such as no upper section bonus, no three of a kind etc). So is this like a hybrid?
Hi Mayhem

All what you mentioned is valid and similar info to what I came across also.

I was kind of a bit torn on which way to go but "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_(dice_game)" (won't seem to link correctly) is what I decided to settle on.

Except I have just noticed I have got the Small/Large Straights wrong :oops: which I shall correct ASAP and post here with an update.

Thanks for bringing this to light.

I also decided to go with "Yacht" as the name as it's PD where as Yahtzee is TM by Hasbro in the USA and it save me 2 bytes of RAM - lol

** Edit: I have modified my routines for Small/Large Straight, but I need to change the 3K/4K/FH scoring.
I shall upload the new version tomorrow once I've had time to give it a bit more testing.

KingTrode / Jim
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

I have uploaded an amended version (0.83) with changes/fixes to the scoring system which I had mixed up a little :oops:.

Link to the file is at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

I have also amended my earlier post with the correct scoring information/rules etc.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Hi All

Been having a think today (ouch my head hurts :roll: ) about where to go with this title.

Seeing as I'm quite low on free RAM and don't want to lose my sanity trying to fit a quart into a pint pot, maybe I should leave this as the bog standard/plain Jane version of Yacht and just iron out any bugs and give it a little bit of spit and polish if need be and release it.

And then take this a step further and make an "8k+ Deluxe Disk Version" featuring:

a) Nice Title Screen with some animation/music etc.
b) Multi-Player with name entry.
c) High Score table with save/load to/from floppy disk.
d) Fancier play screen / Sound Fx.
e) Single/Double/Triple play to vary game time.
f) Built in help/info screen(s).

And so on ...

One bit of info that would come in handy is what RAM expansion to aim for, as I'm not sure what the majority of users have. Obviously under VICE this is not an issue but on the real thing I would like it to be accessible to the majority of users (outside of the unexpanded arena). So any input on this front is most welcome.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

KingTrode wrote:So any input on this front is most welcome.
If you want to keep it somewhat restrained, you should consider a +16K RAM expansion as 'soft' limit. At the time, this was the biggest single RAM expansion cart sold by Commodore (the VIC-1111). Anything bigger than that would have required either a cartridge expander (and jumpering the RAM carts) or using a 3rd party RAM expansion cart.

Otherwise, you can savely assume, that most people actively using the VIC-20 today do own either a Mega-Cart, FE3 or Ultimate Expander.

Trust me, I do have some experience with Deluxe and Gold editions. :mrgreen:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What a great custom typeface!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

+3K RAM provides its own problems, so I'd aim for making it +8K here. That should be more than enough.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mike wrote:If you want to keep it somewhat restrained, you should consider a +16K RAM expansion as 'soft' limit. At the time, this was the biggest single RAM expansion cart sold by Commodore (the VIC-1111). Anything bigger than that would have required either a cartridge expander (and jumpering the RAM carts) or using a 3rd party RAM expansion cart.

Otherwise, you can savely assume, that most people actively using the VIC-20 today do own either a Mega-Cart, FE3 or Ultimate Expander.

Trust me, I do have some experience with Deluxe and Gold editions. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the feedback Mike, nice work on those upgraded versions BTW :).
Jeff-20 wrote:What a great custom typeface!
It caught my eye when I was going through my font stash, it's a slightly modified version of the font from the c64 version of "Tornado Low Level".
Mayhem wrote:+3K RAM provides its own problems, so I'd aim for making it +8K here. That should be more than enough.
Again thanks for the feedback Mayhem, I had a feeling +3K RAM was a non starter and probably wouldn't offer quite enough extra RAM let alone any problems it might provide.

Hopefully +8k is enough but spilling over to 16k would be far from being a disaster.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mayhem wrote:+3K RAM provides its own problems, [...]
What kind of problems?