History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Centallica
Pinballer

New Book: The rise and the fall of Commodore

Post by Centallica »

In case you missed it on Comp Sys CBM today:

http://www.commodorebook.com/

Looks like a good read on a lawnchair with a brewskie in hand 8)

Brian
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I just got this book. It will be an interesting read!

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I ordered this some weeks ago directly form the states (or canada?) and payed more for postage than for the book...
I think now in germany you can order this from www.go64.de a lot cheaper :-)

Interesting to read and a lot of (subjective) insights as well!

Now that I'm beyond PET, VIC20 and C64 it gets less interesting for me, but I think someday I will finish reading this book.

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I bought mine on Tradera for 200 SEK. Then it turned out he wanted to pay for the postage (44 SEK) and when I got it, it turned out the post office hadn't stamped on the stamps, so I can use them again. So I paid just 200-44-44=112 SEK for mine if you exclude the postage. But one corner was a little bent...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Finished mine in less than a week over Christmas :shock:

Great book but he needs a Editor next time.

Passed the book onto Schema to read next (what page are you on ther now Leif?)

You're right the 1st 1/2 is the most interesting. Large section on the Vic-20 and 6502 development. They seemed to skip the 4000 series PET, SuperPET and 64PET how they came into existance though :(

Brian
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have now come to where they start to design the diskdrive... One thing that I thought about while reading is that he constantly comments about Commodore's lack of taking the competition seriously. I don't know if they comment on it more later on, but why would they bother so much about the competition from Apple? They used Commodore's 6502 processor and probably also some IO chips etc from Commodore/MOS. So in other words, Commodore must have made money on every Apple computer sold. I think that's why they didn't bother. Peddle even helped them out with their first computer... and they almost bought up Apple to base Commodores first PET computer on it. Instead, they used a sprinkler system! :lol:

/Anders
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I've read a bit of it. Not much time to get into long reading sessions right now though with baby Andreas needing attention.

It's not really holding my interest to be honest. Yes, I own several Commodore computers, but I also own a PalmOS computer and a nice Acura car for that matter, but I don't really care about their histories either.

As for VIC-20 content, I thought the "Home Computer Wars" was more insightful into how the VIC came to be.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Leif,

Know you know and it didn't cost ya at least :wink:

You know where the library drop off service is when you're done :wink:

Brian
Christian Johansson
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Christian Johansson »

Schema wrote: ...

It's not really holding my interest to be honest. Yes, I own several Commodore computers, but I also own a PalmOS computer and a nice Acura car for that matter, but I don't really care about their histories either.

I can agree that it is not very easy reading. The book is packed with people and facts. The fact that it is English also causes me not to understand all of it. However, I still struggle to read through the book because it contains information that is very interesting to know as a Commodore enthusiast even if it can seem like a lot of information when reading the book. It is interesting to get an understanding of why the computers became like they became I think.

One thing you notice is that the core engineers behind the Commodore computers were just a few people who were very enthusiastic. They were persons who sometimes worked 20 hours a day and only slept 4 hours and didn't leave work. For example, the C64 was to a big degree made by only two persons: Bob Yannes and Robert Russell (although the VIC-II chip by Al Charpentier is also a very important part of it). Another thing you notice is that much is centered around the CES shows that occur twice per year. People work like crazy to get new prototypes ready to be shown at those shows.
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

Just finished reading it.

I had a great time. Too often that kind of book really skip some technical details thinking the reader would not comprehend or care.
Lets say there are a coupla gems in there.

My favorite anecdote was from Bill Herd (C128) (iirc) picking up office phones up randomly, and saying 'hello?' in case someone was on the other line to prove a point
that one of the video chip designer's lack of interrupt after each scan line was a very bad idea. (the basic polling vs callback idiom). Since I work on real time audio systems,
this particular one made me laugh a long time.

Great read for any VIC-20 fan that care about where their favorite machine (and the
other ones before and after) came about.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I think that end of that book might be too sad for me.. :?
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

Mikam73 wrote:I think that end of that book might be too sad for me.. :?
Well you are sad the book is over, but the decline of commodore..
well you kind of feel it comming a long time.
So yes the first part is much less depressing than the later.

Theres a a good section on the launch of the VIC and the first run of games, made by HAL labs (heck even the wikipedia article on HAL doesnt mention it).
Unless the author is wrong, the japan Vic-1001 group had the official rights for rally-x, galaxian, space invaders, night driver, lunar lander and pac-man.
But they had to change the names in other markets because they didnt have the official rights there.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

davidv_ wrote: Unless the author is wrong, the japan Vic-1001 group had the official rights for rally-x, galaxian, space invaders, night driver, lunar lander and pac-man.
But they had to change the names in other markets because they didnt have the official rights there.
Well, Rally-X became Radar Rat Race, Galaxian became Star Battle, Space Invaders became Avenger, Night Driver became Road Race, Lunar Lander became Jupiter Lander and Pac-Man became Jelly Monsters...
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Schema wrote:I've read a bit of it. Not much time to get into long reading sessions right now though with baby Andreas needing attention.

As for VIC-20 content, I thought the "Home Computer Wars" was more insightful into how the VIC came to be.
Leif,

Did you ever get into this book I lent ya?

I can't remember the last hard cover of several hundred pages that I couldn't put down like this one....love history of things :D

Brian
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Yes, I finished it a couple of months ago. I'll try to return it next weekend :wink: I enjoyed it more than I expected.