Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

[New Release] magiTOOL

Post by Ghislain »

Name: magiTOOL
Author: Ghislain
Released: February 3, 2013
Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20 + Disk Drive.
Description: Self-made toolkit that I used back in the day with my VIC-20 projects.

In the pre-internet days, I didn't have any VIC-20 tools like an ML monitor, graphics or sound editor. So I made my own. These were made between 1990-1996 and I put them all together under a single package:

magiPROG: Machine language assembler that uses decimal numbers.
magiCHAR: Build 8x8 custom characters
magiDRAW: 64x96 multicolor image editor
magiSONG: Play and record music with a piano keyboard. 7 voice combinations and 3 scales are supported.

Download.

Discuss.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

The tools are somewhat slow to use because they were written in BASIC at the time. Since I didn't have a monitor cartridge, they were made out of necessity.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I also made a whole package of tools in Basic. Ok, the challenge is on for more releases in 2013. Ghislain 3 - Jeff 1. :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Re: [New Release] magiTOOL

Post by RobertBe »

Ghislain wrote:Name: magiTOOL
magiSONG: Play and record music with a piano keyboard. 7 voice combinations and 3 scales are supported.
Oooo, a music player! I must try it out!

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Jeff-20 wrote:I also made a whole package of tools in Basic. Ok, the challenge is on for more releases in 2013. Ghislain 3 - Jeff 1. :D
Well, it's not a competition :)

It seems like I'm doing more, but I'm really just putting some minor touches to previously almost-finished games and wrapping it around with a splash screen.

I won't do it for every single one of my old games, I think I might just put most of the PETSCII games (like Worm-Out and Paratrooper) into one package.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

That is so damn impressive! :shock:
Wrote your own monitor...omg...LOL.
Wonderful!
Learning all the time... :)
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

I had a character editor from Compute magazine back in the day, but I never had the other stuff.

How large of program can you code with the assembler?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:That is so damn impressive! :shock:
Wrote your own monitor...omg...LOL.
Wonderful!
Thanks. When you don't have anML tool, you try to make your own.
RJBowman wrote:I had a character editor from Compute magazine back in the day, but I never had the other stuff.

How large of program can you code with the assembler?
There is free space at 6656-7679, 828-1023. 673-767 is used as a loader that connects the four programs to the main menu.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: [New Release] magiTOOL

Post by Forbidden64 »

Hey, I just found this! I just wanted to say thanks for making this suite of goodies available. I am toying with finally making an actual game for the VIC-20, and I really needed a character designer/music generator/splash screen creator. Then, I found your utility suite! I'm trying out the character designer...and man it doesn't disappoint! It's got everything and a bag of potatoes! It took me a second to realize the shift down/right part. Of course left and up would be redundant since you can just wind all the way around. I love how it shows all the characters down below as they are edited, in addition to the main editing window. Totally awesome! It must have taken eons to get this thing as refined as it is.

Edit:

In the draw utility, is there a way to wipe the old image? Erasing the boxing picture one pixel at a time is excruciating. Another edit... I read the instructions a bit more carefully. 'E' lol.