Color Flickers

Discuss anything related to the VIC
IAMAMRA
Vic 20 Drifter

Color Flickers

Post by IAMAMRA »

When trying to hook up my vic to my plasma, the colors keep flickering none stop. I tried 2 different cords with no luck, is my vic broken?
Micah

PRINT "Witty Quote here!"
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

are you using the rf modulator or a vic to scart or rf lead?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
IAMAMRA
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by IAMAMRA »

Red white yellow cord straight from the vic
Micah

IAMAMRA
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by IAMAMRA »

Ill take it as no one knows eh?
Micah

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Maybe it's video interference from the VIC hardware? Is the internal cardboard RF shield present?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Unless your VIC-20 has been modded to output S-Video, you'd only have to connect composite video (yellow cord) and audio (white cord) to your TV set.

Please check that the yellow cord connects to pin 4 of your DIN plug and that the white cord connects to pin 3. Here's how they are arranged when you look at the pins of the DIN plug:

Code: Select all

|_|

1 o       o 3

o     o
 4    o    5

P.S. usually this kind of posts is better placed into the 'Hardware and Tech' section.
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

I'm not any kind of electronics or A/V expert, but I've noticed that everyone with a plasma TV has a flickering or rolling problem when hooking up a VIC-20.

Does anyone know if this might have something to do with the way the screens refresh or just the nature of plasma TV's in general? Does this same problem exist for other devices with a composite video output, or is it specific to the VIC?
BCNU,
Louis
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

I hook my original Vic (1982) to my Panasonic Viera (PAL) plasma 42" via an a/v cable and the display is rock solid - if a little harsh. Wobbling the leads causes some disturbance but it always settles right back down again. I have used the rf output as well and the display is a lot softer but still very stable.

I have 2 other vics but their output using the same leads is nowhere near the quality of my original. Wishy-washy colours and distorted / blurred images are the norm for these.

My son has a 32" Samsung LCD in his room, to which he connects his PS3, Sega megadrive, SNES and various other bits of retro kit. But he has to connect his Spectrum Plus 3 to my TV because the display on his TV shifts to the left and re-appears on the right!!!

So, no definitive answer as to whether it's the output or input device that's at fault. Just have to try your Vic on as many different TV's / monitors as you can. :?
IAMAMRA
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by IAMAMRA »

tried on another TV, an lcd this time and same problem. Must be a faulty vic perhaps.
Micah