New retro computing site: neoncluster.com

Discuss anything related to the VIC
nama
Vic 20 Drifter

New retro computing site: neoncluster.com

Post by nama »

Hi everyone,
I wanted to let you all know that my new retro computing site, neoncluster.com, has finally gone live. It's still a bit of a work in progress, and you may come across some bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and the new look and feel still needs to be applied to some blog sections, but all in all I'm very happy with it.

www.neoncluster.com

For those interested in articles and repair logs, please have a look at the projects page where you can find write-ups on a lot of my fixes. This section will be constantly updated as new articles are written. If you just want to read my personal take on the computers in my collection, you can access this by clicking on the images on the front page.

Enjoy, and if you have any comments, please don't hesitate in contacting me.

Philip
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Very nicely done! I like the esthetics of your site.

You might want to have a darker "grey" for the background, so that it is easier to read the "white on grey" text.

I see you have Ohio computers. Challenger's design look like they would make good models for building homebrew 6502 computers (or a clone). Do you know if they have many custom chips or if what they use is pretty much generic ?

cheers!
nama
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by nama »

Hi,
Seems that the color issues is getting a lot of comments. I will darken the background grey for more contrast. Thanks for your help.

Philip
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Very nice site and one helluva story with that Pet 64 ;)
Learning all the time... :)
nama
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by nama »

OBSysteme wrote:Very nicely done! I like the esthetics of your site.

You might want to have a darker "grey" for the background, so that it is easier to read the "white on grey" text.

I see you have Ohio computers. Challenger's design look like they would make good models for building homebrew 6502 computers (or a clone). Do you know if they have many custom chips or if what they use is pretty much generic ?

cheers!
I believe, although I could be wrong, that the Challengers are basically made of the shelf parts.
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

nama wrote:
I believe, although I could be wrong, that the Challengers are basically made of the shelf parts.
the only thing that seems half-novel, is the version of basic stored in 4 roms?

The Challenger seems interresting for any vic-20 lover, the main similarity being that of the screen resolution and the 6502 CPU.
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

OBSysteme wrote:Very nicely done! I like the esthetics of your site.

cheers!
The OSI's had no custom chips. They were very simple and hackable machines. Full schematics were available from the start. My first computer was an OSI, but it was the later C4P version with 64x32 character screen with 16 colours. Because of this I didn't see much point in getting a VIC-20. The C64, however was another matter. ;-)

I have web pages for both CBM and OSI computers.. http://www.stevegray.ca/

Steve