Internet Connectivity with Comet64+VIC-20? (IT WORKS!!!)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Internet Connectivity with Comet64+VIC-20? (IT WORKS!!!)

Post by Ghislain »

I just ordered a Comet64 modem from:

http://www.commodoreserver.com/Products.asp

My main reasons for buying one are:

-it plugs into the user port (I already have an RR-Net cartridge plugged in the cartridge port on my C64)
-it's supposed to connect to telnet servers (via IP address) using an ethernet to serial connection (so I can use older BBS terminal programs like NovaTerm). While there's a plethora of RR-Net network tools for the C64, many network/internet programs won't work on it because they were made for those S2E network connections.

Since I don't have a telephone landline anymore, I can't use my 1200 baud dialup modem. So the Comet64 seems like a perfect replacement solution.

The only thing I'm wondering is--will the Comet64 work with the VIC-20 using programs like VTE-40 and Mighty Term? CommodoreServer.com mentions something like requiring to load V-1541 first for it to work--but I believe that this is only required when using the Comet64 as an internet-based disk drive to load D64 images, and hopefully I don't need to load V-1541 on the VIC-20 before I use terminal software.

Hopefully some of you will be able to answer my question. And if it does work on a VIC-20, I might actually post to this forum with a real VIC-20 along with screenshots.
Last edited by Ghislain on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Basically, I'm hoping to do on my VIC-20 + Comet64 what this guy did with his C64 + Comet64:

http://comm64.blogspot.ca/2011/02/conne ... s-c64.html

There is some tinkering required to connect to a different IP address other than CommodoreServer.com's, but I think this can be also achieved via software. I might just write a menu program to change the IP address that Comet64 connects to.

I think it would be pretty cool if Mighty Term could connect to a shell account on my Linux laptop :)
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

This is another (older) thread discussing the Comet64.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Kananga wrote:This is another (older) thread discussing the Comet64.
I saw that thread, and I probably should have posted my question there.

Just wondering though, has anybody here on Denial successfully used Comet64 with their VIC-20?

How I plan to connect to a BBS, if I understand how the Comet64 works is:

1. I'll write a menu program (in BASIC) with a BBS and Telnet server listing that configures the Comet64 to connect to an IP address with these config commands:

http://www.commodoreserver.com/BlogEntr ... 96AD6AEDDD

I'll just store the BBS listing in the DATA statements like this:

1000 DATA MAD WORLD, MADWORLD.BOUNCEME.NET,68.84.46.76,23
1010 DATA SHELL ACCOUNT,NA,192.168.0.17,23
1999 DATA -1

(first row has the name,second is the domain name,third the IP address,fourth row is the port number)

... And whenever I want to add more entries, I just add it to the data statements and then save the program to disk (or SD2IEC).

2. Then the menu program will give the option to the user to either load VTE-40 or Mighty Term
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Ghislain wrote:I saw that thread, and I probably should have posted my question there.
Sorry, just wanted to make sure :)
Ghislain wrote:Just wondering though, has anybody here on Denial successfully used Comet64 with their VIC-20?
No, I have not, but I thought I saw a report (i.e. video) of a meeting (PDUXG?) where a Vic-20 was demonstrated using the Comet-64. I just can not find it anymore.

I was really tempted to buy one (or a Flyer) myself, but both solutions are basically built around a TCP-to-serial IC, which is a bit limited (just one connection in or out, 2400 baud max). I'd rather have a hardware solution with built-in TCP/IP stack like the KCNet, but did not find the time to build one yet.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Kananga wrote:I was really tempted to buy one (or a Flyer) myself, but both solutions are basically built around a TCP-to-serial IC, which is a bit limited (just one connection in or out, 2400 baud max).
The Comet64 can now run at 38K maximum.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Kananga wrote:
Ghislain wrote:I saw that thread, and I probably should have posted my question there.
Sorry, just wanted to make sure :)
Ghislain wrote:Just wondering though, has anybody here on Denial successfully used Comet64 with their VIC-20?
No, I have not, but I thought I saw a report (i.e. video) of a meeting (PDUXG?) where a Vic-20 was demonstrated using the Comet-64. I just can not find it anymore.

I was really tempted to buy one (or a Flyer) myself, but both solutions are basically built around a TCP-to-serial IC, which is a bit limited (just one connection in or out, 2400 baud max). I'd rather have a hardware solution with built-in TCP/IP stack like the KCNet, but did not find the time to build one yet.
No problem :)

Well, I'm fairly confident that the Comet64 will do what I want to do, according to what I've read online. I've seen more than one online source that stated that it was able to work with traditional commodore terminal programs. And based on what you told me, then that makes me more confident.

I just didn't want a silver surfer setup with a cacophony of various cables and such connecting to a PC's printer port. It's bad enough I telnet to a laptop on my network for shell access. For whatever reason, my RR-net and kipper term from my c64 can't connect to sdf.lonestar.org

I'm just wondering... Has anybody ever been able to post here from an actual VIC 20? How well would Mighty Term work with Linux shell and w3m?
Last edited by Ghislain on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

RobertBe wrote:
Kananga wrote:I was really tempted to buy one (or a Flyer) myself, but both solutions are basically built around a TCP-to-serial IC, which is a bit limited (just one connection in or out, 2400 baud max).
The Comet64 can now run at 38K maximum.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Doesn't the user port have a 2400 baud limit? Or is the Comet64 38k capable?
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Ghislain wrote:Doesn't the user port have a 2400 baud limit? Or is the Comet64 38k capable?
The 2400 baud limit is what I thought was set in stone. However, that limit was broken by Agent Friday and Goog of the Portland Commodore User Group earlier this year, when they demonstrated the Comet at meetings and at CommVEx v8 2012.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

RobertBe wrote:
Ghislain wrote:Doesn't the user port have a 2400 baud limit? Or is the Comet64 38k capable?
The 2400 baud limit is what I thought was set in stone. However, that limit was broken by Agent Friday and Goog of the Portland Commodore User Group earlier this year, when they demonstrated the Comet at meetings and at CommVEx v8 2012.
I suppose they just set the 6526 shift clock rate accordingly, which is possible, but wasn't done by Commodore, because the 6522 is flawed in that respect.
So bad luck for the Vic-20.

But that is just a guess. Is there a link to an explanation for the demonstration?
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Kananga wrote:But that is just a guess. Is there a link to an explanation for the demonstration?
So that he can answer all questions, I have informed Goog of this thread, but he has not responded.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dano »

I have used the Comet with a Vic but unfortunately I've only used the RS-232 portion as I didn't have a network connection handy at the time. I have never done any bbs communication, only talking to CommodoreServer. As I understand it, Comet v2 will have some modem emulation built in. Basically, the 2400 baud limitation is the kernal, 38k speed comes from software bit-banging the user port. I've seen this done on the 64 so I assume the same could be done on the Vic. The Flyer doesn't have this limitation at all, it's a standard IEC device (and works well with the VIC too I might add). V1541 won't work (at least not currently as far as I know) but I believe V2 of the Comet will make that a moot point anyway. It's only used for file I/O over the user port and has nothing to do with online chatting or gaming functionality.
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

dano wrote:Basically, the 2400 baud limitation is the kernal, 38k speed comes from software bit-banging the user port. I've seen this done on the 64 so I assume the same could be done on the Vic.
As with the IEC-port, Commodore intended to use the shift register of the 6522 for transmission. Unfortunately, the 6522 is flawed wrt to shifting, so they had to implement serial communication in software (the kernal). AFAIK, the same holds for the user-port.
The C-64 uses 6526 (CIA) interface ICs instead of 6522 (VIA) and they do not have the shift register bug, so serial transmission can be done in hardware. I.e., the bits are shifted out through CB2 (in through CB1), controlled by a timer and independent of the CPU. I do not know, if hardware support was used to achieve 38400 baud on the C-64, but if it was, it can not be done on the Vic-20.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

So I received my Comet64 modems. I tried to configure my VIC-20's Comet 64 to connect to an IP address on my local network by this using DUMBTERM from CommodoreServer.com's download section:

+++ (got an "E" response)
<WX 192.168.0.17> (got a "<" response)
<WN 23> (also got a "<" response)
<WR> (got "<" response)

Then I waited a few seconds, after which I tried using MIGHTY TERM (2400 baud), but it could not connect.

I only had time to play around a little bit on it, but hopefully I'll figure out how to use it.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Success! I finally got the Comet64 modem to work with my VIC-20.

While I wasn't able to use the DUMBTERM program to successfully change the IP address it connects to--I was able to set it with a Windows program called WizNet.

The highest bps setting I was able to use was 1200. I connected to the Commodore BBS madworld.bounceme.net:23 with the VTE-40 terminal program on the Mega Cart cartridge.