Jeff's Arcade

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Jeff's Arcade

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been having some success putting my games in galleries recently. Thanks to 6502dude and nbla000's advice, I now have a running game exhibit that the curators can activate themselves.

I'm having so much fun distributing these games in the art community that I'm way behind on posting my latest games online! But I thought this one would be familiar to most of you.

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Jeff,

this is great. To me growing up in the 70s and 80s the sounds and graphics of 8bit are art to me rather than cows cut in half and unmade beds ;-)

Galaxian thrum of the wave moving, Galaxian peeshoo missile sound, Pacman startup sound, Jeff Minter's awesome Sonix!

Tempest and Starwars vector graphics.

Your games especially Ten-Ten have that quality of gameplay that is simple to pickup and hard to master, another artform in gameplay design and balance.

Nice to see you get some recognition.

If anyone is interested to relive the sound effect and colour and noise of the 80s arcades, try 3darcade and wander around virtually, pick a machine and launch it in Mame. There were also some models of Vic-20 and C64, Atari, Nes etc.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the kind words! I think I've earned a reputation as a bit of an odd ball for making them, but I enjoy being an anachronism if it gives me motivation to keep making games. I'm in two galleries this week, and it's been a blast!
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Jeff, what was involved in getting the game 'mounted' in an upright arcade cabinet (emulator, controls,..etc..)?
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Materially, I did it myself. Arcade cabinet parts wired to an atari-style 9-pin. I designed and printed the sign for the marquee and just adhered it to some cut glass. Same for the bazel. All photoshop and backlit with a florescent tube light. The monitor is just a CRT with an AV in. A VIC board inside with the megacart to autostart the uIEC with a custom version of the games on SD card. It overheated many times during the opening reception, so I had to restart it a lot. Monday, I'll make updates that give better ventilation.
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

That is super cool. I'd love to see some video and better photos. Do you think that's possible? I really want to see the marquee properly.

Also, do you intend to keep the cab once the exhibit has ended? It would look lovely in any living room... :)

You, sir, are a proper genius. Your games are works of art, your forum is the nexus for all Vic activity and now you've made a public-play Vic arcade machine! *Applauds...*
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Jeff-20 wrote:Materially, I did it myself. Arcade cabinet parts wired to an atari-style 9-pin. I designed and printed the sign for the marquee and just adhered it to some cut glass. Same for the bazel. All photoshop and backlit with a florescent tube light. The monitor is just a CRT with an AV in. A VIC board inside with the megacart to autostart the uIEC with a custom version of the games on SD card. It overheated many times during the opening reception, so I had to restart it a lot. Monday, I'll make updates that give better ventilation.
One word - Amazing!!!!
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Jeff-20 wrote:Materially, I did it myself. Arcade cabinet parts wired to an atari-style 9-pin. I designed and printed the sign for the marquee and just adhered it to some cut glass. Same for the bazel. All photoshop and backlit with a florescent tube light. The monitor is just a CRT with an AV in. A VIC board inside with the megacart to autostart the uIEC with a custom version of the games on SD card. It overheated many times during the opening reception, so I had to restart it a lot. Monday, I'll make updates that give better ventilation.
Great Stuff!!!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Hmmm ponder:

Is it modern art or is circa 1982 an old master?

:P
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cracking stuff :D

Now we know why you wanted the autoboot stuff via Megacart...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Nice!

I want one ... :)
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Love this, good work Jeff. Thumbs up :D
Kind regards, Peter.
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Is it modern art or is circa 1982 an old master?
:P
I guess it's an extension of Pop Art or something... It's of 3k version of an old game with a lot of other junk thrown in. Autoboot really really helps here! :D
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've been having some success putting my games in galleries recently. Thanks to 6502dude and nbla000's advice, I now have a running game exhibit that the curators can activate themselves.
Jeff-20 wrote:A VIC board inside with the megacart to autostart the uIEC with a custom version of the games on SD card.
I'm honored for my little contribute to this fantastic project !

I'm releasing a new generic "MC-BOOT" program to autostart from VIC+Mega-Cart+Drive everything that anyone wants to "expose" in case somebody else wants to release another Vic-Cabinet. :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.