** New Frontiers in VIC-Hires-Graphics, Part 13

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Announcement/Download

Earlier this year Mike created another one of his brilliant converter-tools for his original MINIGRAFIK-format on the VIC-20. The original MINIGRAFIK uses the maximum resolution you can do on a VIC-20 (PAL or NTSC) without the use of raster tricks: 160x192 pixels with 8x16 color blocks and three global colors (background, border and auxiliary color). The new converter works within these boundaries and can also decide whether to make an 8x16 color block hires or multicolor, which leads to a better resolution if only two color are needed in such a block.

I quickly realized this converter was also perfectly suited for my Retina Display-mode from last year, which - while using raster tricks - only uses this technique to increase resolution. The color boundaries are the same as in MINIGRAFIK.

Mike was nice enough to provide me with the converter for this resolution which, together with a small slideshow I include with this release to showcase what this graphics mode was capable of from the beginning.
Last edited by tokra on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Wow :shock:

I would never of thought the VIC could display images of such quality.

Very impressive.

KingTrode / Jim
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

KingTrode wrote:I would never of thought the VIC could display images of such quality.
You must have missed the entire development over the last three years, where Torsten and I went all the way up to MAXIGRAFIK, MFLI, MIFLI and - with a small hardware modification - VFLI. Finally, I could feed back some algorithms developed for the VFLI image converter back to the bog-standard MINIGRAFIK mode. But that was only possible with the 'detour' to VFLI.

These three images here, here and here had already been produced with the MG version of the converter a few days ago, but truly nobody noticed. And you can even edit them in MINIPAINT! :P
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mike wrote: You must have missed the entire development over the last three years, where Torsten and I went all the way up to MAXIGRAFIK, MFLI, MIFLI and - with a small hardware modification - VFLI. Finally, I could feed back some algorithms developed for the VFLI image converter back to the bog-standard MINIGRAFIK mode. But that was only possible with the 'detour' to VFLI.
Yes I did miss most of this during my absence, I do recall you starting down this road before I disappeared. I shall have to take some time out to read the full thread from start to end at some point - Great work from the both of you (and anyone else that might of been involved).

KingTrode / Jim
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Aaaaaannnd into my G+ stream you go!