Why are Vic Carts so Big?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Why are Vic Carts so Big?

Post by MicroPet »

Just wondering really. Is there any reason for the size of the cartridges on the Vic? Is it because the port is also used for memory expansions and they need all those connectors? :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

So big compared to what? LP records? TV sets? VHS Cassettes? Ants?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Big compared to cartridges for most other machines.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

It's about the right size for its time. Remember, when the VIC was designed 8K of RAM, which would have needed 16 2114s and a 74LS138, would just about fit in a single cart.

Lee.
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Ah, so it is more to do with the fact that it's a RAM expansion slot. For game carts the VIC footprint is pretty big compared to game consoles of the time so I figured it would have to be something to do with RAM.

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense to me now. :)

I suppose my next question would be; Why didn't the RAM expansions have pass through ports so that they could be left plugged in permanently? Maybe the uptake and standardisation of RAM expansion usage might've gotten a better foothold?
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

(a) Expensive.
(b) Mostly unnecessary, since ROM carts generally don't need RAM too.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

(c) Because they wanted to sell expansion port slot expanders such as the vic 1005, 1010 and 1020.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've given the original question some thought back in the day. I imagined that the machine was admittedly under-powered even for the time considering what was obviously coming in the future machines. I thought the cart size would allow for large size expansions that may not have been imagined yet. All sorts of hardware could potentially fit in there!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Maybe also
d) Bigger carts are more handy for little kids, who were the target buyer for the VIC.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I've never thought of VIC-20 cartridges as being big; certainly not in comparison to NES or, from what I've heard, Neo Geo cartridges.

As it happens, I've always thought of the Mega Cart as rather small in comparision to the features it contains (all cartridge games, all RAM configurations, an extensive list of utilities, some choice PRG files and a reset button).
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: Why are Vic Carts so Big?

Post by nbla000 »

MicroPet wrote:Just wondering really. Is there any reason for the size of the cartridges on the Vic? Is it because the port is also used for memory expansions and they need all those connectors? :)
Because 25 year later someone will release the Mega-Cart :lol:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Serendipity :D
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've given the original question some thought back in the day. I imagined that the machine was admittedly under-powered even for the time considering what was obviously coming in the future machines. I thought the cart size would allow for large size expansions that may not have been imagined yet. All sorts of hardware could potentially fit in there!
I think you are actually on the money, Jeff. I do remember some electronic experiment boards that, to my surprise, plugged into the cartridge slot. Thing is, the boards I saw are only about half the width of the port so I thought it was odd to insert a board that only took up part of the slot.
I figured that much more elaborate boards, customised hardware or hobby/amateur hardware was what they had in mind.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

The carts are almost exactly the same physical size as a Super Nintendo cart!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The 44 pin .156" connector was an industry standard so no need to design their own custom connector.

As I said in another post, it was and still is in use in elevator control systems.

If something is already in production, made in the millions every year and is readily available then... its cheap.
:wink:
Be normal.