So, who just did this search?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Jeff-20 wrote:You wouldn't believe the crazy searches that bring people to this forum.
Do give us some examples of crazy searches!

I did queries like the above a few years ago, and recently since I picked it up again.
I managed to make a scroll text with 4 pixel jumps, but it doesn't look the same in Power20 from Vice. The split line seems to be on different values of the raster counter.
About time I pick up that real Vic, fix a power supply and test it for real.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Witzo wrote: I managed to make a scroll text with 4 pixel jumps, but it doesn't look the same in Power20 from Vice. The split line seems to be on different values of the raster counter.
Is one of them set to emulate PAL while the other one emulates NTSC?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Boray wrote:
Witzo wrote: I managed to make a scroll text with 4 pixel jumps, but it doesn't look the same in Power20 from Vice. The split line seems to be on different values of the raster counter.
Is one of them set to emulate PAL while the other one emulates NTSC?
Good idea!
I did set Power20 to PAL, but never checked for VICE.
However, I tried Mike's colour test
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=5164
and it was all jumpy on Power20 and stable on VICE.
Am I right in thinking the colour test switches the screen background colour every so many lines?
I wanted to move the bottom 8 pixels right-to-left so I test for line $7a to $80, which works in Power20.
Anyway, I'll look for the 'PAL'-switch on VICE.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Witzo wrote:I tried Mike's colour test [...] and it was all jumpy on Power20 and stable on VICE.
It is also stable on real hardware, for both PAL and NTSC. 8)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Mike wrote:
Witzo wrote:I tried Mike's colour test [...] and it was all jumpy on Power20 and stable on VICE.
It is also stable on real hardware, for both PAL and NTSC. 8)
Hm, then I think I should reduce my trust in Power20.
I tested in VICE on NTSC, my scroll was on the wrong line then as well.
Pity, Power20 is much easier to use than VICE because of its ability to edit disassembly and keycaps and not-confusing disk images / HD attaches.

Sorry if I derailed too much, maybe I should have gone to the Emulation subforum.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Try my program PRG Starter with VICE:
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Boray wrote:Try my program PRG Starter with VICE:
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/
Yes, I looked jealously at your tool before, but I'm using a Mac.
Hm, I can try it in Wine maybe. Or I'll try the link to Robert Hurst's Linux vice-runner.
Anyway, I'll get around it. Next up is to adjust the line-to-shift to a line number that works in Vice. I get the impression Vice is closer to the real VIC than Power20.

Edit: Line $7a worked smoothly in Power20, but is too early in Vice. In Vice, $7d is too early and $7e is too late. So I've inserted a list of NOPs and edited the length until I had no more jitter. This first attempt at a sort of demo made in assembly is becoming one ugly beast, haha.