Looking for a Commodore C16...

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Corsair24x2
Vic 20 Newbie

Looking for a Commodore C16...

Post by Corsair24x2 »

...to complete my collection. If anyone has one they are willing to part with, let me know! I've been watching Ebay, but they are few and far between.

Well I'm in the US, so I need a NTSC model!
Last edited by Corsair24x2 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-= Corsair24x2 - In 8-Bit Mode! =-
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Where are you from? If you're in Europe, I have a spare C16...
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I would be more interested in a C116 (with the rubber keys), since this was the original concept of the machine ($49 computer to compete with the Sinclair Spectrum). There is a nice talk of Bil Herd on c128.com explaining this in detail.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Looking for a Commodore C16...

Post by eslapion »

Corsair24x2 wrote:...to complete my collection. If anyone has one they are willing to part with, let me know! I've been watching Ebay, but they are few and far between.
Since you're not telling either in your post on in your profile where you are located, its impossible to tell wether you want an NTSC or PAL model.
Be normal.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Given the baseball cap and the fact that he bought a Plus/4 from a garage sale for five bucks, I'm going with NTSC.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

tokra wrote:I would be more interested in a C116 (with the rubber keys), since this was the original concept of the machine ($49 computer to compete with the Sinclair Spectrum). There is a nice talk of Bil Herd on c128.com explaining this in detail.
Always destined to fail though. It was too little too late to tackle the spectrum market. Should have been at least 48K to even stand a chance.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

16KVIC20 wrote:
tokra wrote:C116 ($49 computer to compete with the Sinclair Spectrum).
Always destined to fail though. It was too little too late to tackle the spectrum market. Should have been at least 48K to even stand a chance.
Probably true. We'll never know. Commodore screwed it up themselves with the Plus/4 and C16 and the higher price point. Trying to break into an existing market with a similar product is always going to be especially difficult. In later years the C16-series got quite a following in Eastern Europe if I understand correctly. Also when Commodore were selling of their old stock of the Plus/4 in Germany through Aldi (food discounter) for a VERY low price they ended up having to scrap together more, because demand was so high. Which - too late - proved Tramiel's point of the 264-series.
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Oge_user »

tokra wrote:Also when Commodore were selling of their old stock of the Plus/4 in Germany through Aldi (food discounter) for a VERY low price they ended up having to scrap together more, because demand was so high. Which - too late - proved Tramiel's point of the 264-series.
This is interesting to know..

Cheers,
Oge
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Loved the C16 almost as much as VIC 20 ... certainly more than C64.
And the C128 was in a different class altogether (at the time). I've got both C16 and Plus/4 now ... I really need to write something significant for C16. I only did applications with it back in late 1984 / early 1985, but then got C128 as soon as it was available in June 1985, because I had a paying computer programmer's job at the time and could afford one.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

rhurst wrote:I really need to write something significant for C16.
Just for your information, I'm working on a port for the C264 series of my CBM-FileBrowser program.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

He said significant :)
REALLY just kidding!

The C16 does look like a nice machine. Could do a lovely ray caster on it, what with all the colours and all. Hmm...