uIEC - loading VIC-20 cart prg?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Kerosene
Vic 20 Newbie

uIEC - loading VIC-20 cart prg?

Post by Kerosene »

Just got myself a uIEC, and after managing to get a few things loaded on a C64, I'm itching to get the VIC into action.

I'm using CBM FileBrowser on an unmodified VIC-20, when I browse to a cart.prg and select it, nothing happens.
The VIC just comes back with READY.

I'm obviously missing a few steps.
I'm right at the bottom of the learning curve here, and very very rusty with VIC/C64 commands.
Can somebody please give me a push in the right direction?
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

try list
then run

try sys64802 to reset if it is a cart.

Otherwise it might be a cart image that is protected and needs a ram pack in place configured to the correct Block of memory.

Try a more basic prg file first not from a cart.

Load"blitz",8 or ,9 depending on your drive if not file browsing.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@Kerosene:
Do you have RAM in the required memory areas?

Even a BASIC program requires you to type RUN (RETURN) to start.

The VIC-20 is not a gaming console, it is a computer.

Even loading a game cartridge requires a software or hardware reset to start.
Be normal.
Kerosene
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kerosene »

This is what I'm doing (wrong!):

Permanently changed uIEC default device to 8.
Start up the VIC-20.

Code: Select all

LOAD "*",8

RUN
CBM FileBrowser starts and I browse to avenger.prg or gorf.prg and hit RETURN

Then it drops out of CBM FileBrowser and back to the VIC-20 BASIC screen with READY. Typing RUN at this stage does nothing.

I've tried this with and without a 16K expansion cart.
I CAN get other prg files to work, just not cartridge images.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Ah, now something is ringing a feint bell here. In the summer I thought I had very cleverly worked out that because a cartridge image is a .PRG file, I could use a program (like WinTZX) to transfer it to a .wav file and copy it to tape, which I could then load.

The problem is, I would need the correct memory configuration, but also, I seem to recall there is an issue about which blocks you start the VIC in. Basically you need to know the blocks, and know how to start it from there, with the correct memory. That was pretty much beyond my patience, especially as WinTZX may well have not worked even then.

At least now I know it is not all plain sailing with one of these devices, contrary to what others say.
maguman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by maguman »

Kerosene wrote:This is what I'm doing (wrong!):

Then it drops out of CBM FileBrowser and back to the VIC-20 BASIC screen with READY. Typing RUN at this stage does nothing.

I think that most game carts, including Avenger and Gorf, load at $A000. Do you have a RAM cart (usually with little switches) that allows a block of RAM to be located at $A000?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Kerosene wrote:This is what I'm doing (wrong!):

Permanently changed uIEC default device to 8.
Start up the VIC-20.

LOAD "*",8

RUN

These aren't BASIC programs. They are cartridge image. Therefore they require, as specified by maguman, that RAM be enabled in a memory area called BLK5 (hex $A000-$BFFF).

You specified you're using an unmodified VIC-20 and therefore do not have the required extra 8K of RAM in this memory area.

Assuming you have a properly configured 8k RAM cartridge or a 32k RAM cart which covers all expandable BLK areas then you can do the following after loading.

These normally start at power-up on a real VIC-20, therefore you need to "fool" your computer into thinking the VIC-20 just powered up either by typing SYS64802 (RETURN) or using a reset button on your RAM expander.

BTW, I have no idea what CBM FileBrowser is.
By default a 16k RAM cart is configured to cover BLK1 and BLK2.

You must open your cart to toggle one of the two banks to BLK5.
Be normal.
Kerosene
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kerosene »

maguman wrote:Do you have a RAM cart (usually with little switches) that allows a block of RAM to be located at $A000?
Nope. Just the 16K expansion cart.
eslapion wrote: You must open your cart to toggle one of the two banks to BLK5
Does this involve soldering? I don't really want to modify my 16K cart (it was NIB/unused until this morning)... I might be better off just looking for an 8K cart with the switches.
eslapion wrote: BTW, I have no idea what CBM FileBrowser is.
It's a browser for sd2iec.
http://www.vic20.it/cbmfilebrowser/
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

What you are doing was not meant to be done ;-)

The ROM cartridge games run in different memory locations to those an unmodified ram pack. Yes you usually need to solder it to move the ram to Block 5.

Some games prevent this by having self modifying code which fails to modify in ROM but does modify in RAM to detect such activity.

Try some non cartridge games first - there are some on here to download and try.

The easiest solutions to your desire are:

0. Vice on a PC
1. FE3 once built and configured or
2. MegaCart cart once you have waited in the queue for delivery
3. Buy the original carts on ebay - I have some spares for free if you cover postage
4. Modify ram packs with soldering or find a configurable one

PM me if you want some cartridges.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Kerosene wrote:Does this involve soldering? I don't really want to modify my 16K cart (it was NIB/unused until this morning)... I might be better off just looking for an 8K cart with the switches.
The original Commodore VIC-1111 has switches inside to do this without soldering.

If you have another brand of RAM expander then I can't tell unless you post detailed pictures of its insides.
Be normal.
Kerosene
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kerosene »

eslapion wrote: The original Commodore VIC-1111 has switches inside to do this without soldering.
Yes, mine is a VIC-1111. I've removed the screw in the back, but don't want to force it open. Are there any tricks to opening the cart?
This is the version I have.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

It should be easy to open it with a thin blade (or something similar), forcing a bit on all four sides. Once you modify it, if you want, I have some D64 images full of 8K or 16K cart games. They are loadable through a dedicated menu, which automatically loads all parts of the game and runs it - very easy and fast. But of course you must have 8K in block 5 :) .
Kerosene
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Kerosene »

orion70 wrote:It should be easy to open it with a thin blade (or something similar), forcing a bit on all four sides.
Before I crack it open, can anyone confirm that the black & silver cartridge definitely has switches? I read this on the Denial wiki:
Upon opening the cartridge and exposing the circuit board, the user can usually find a set of DIP switches (or solder points to attach DIP switches)
My VIC-1111 was "new in box" until this morning (with receipt for $79 ON SPECIAL from 1983), and I'm really not ready to start soldering switches to it just yet.
orion70 wrote:Once you modify it, if you want, I have some D64 images full of 8K or 16K cart games.
Absolutely! Thanks.
TLovskog
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by TLovskog »

The VIC-1111s I have had, and has, does not have any DIP switches. Only solderbridges on the BLK select lines in question.
Last edited by TLovskog on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BR
Thomas Lövskog
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I was wondering the same, and I'm afraid you're right: IIRC, only the 8K cart has DIP switches (as you can see from the Data Sheet). Maybe the 16K RAM pack from Vixen was switchable, but not the Commodore one. If I was you, I'd try and carefully open the cart...