Why did everything but MSDOS die back around 1992?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Why did everything but MSDOS die back around 1992?

Post by RJBowman »

Mac doesn't count, by the way.

What I'm talking about was this strange phenomena, where everything that wasn't MS-DOS compatible went out of production in a period of about a year or two. It wasn't just Commodore; Atari also shut down. Apple discontinued everything that wasn't Macintosh. What the hell happened?

I stopped reading computer magazines at that time, because the only new breakthroughs being reported were X86-based machines that ran faster and had more memory, and improvements to printers and modems.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PC hardware got cheaper and more powerful than the competition. Sound cards for PCs also came and games like Doom were invented. Games were suddenly cooler on PC.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I wonder if it hyas been a completely good thing that there are only 2 major platforms now? If even the Amiga had survived as a mainstream option, things could be very different now. Maybe MS, intel, and Apple wouldn't have so much power.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I remember in the early 90's the price of RAM was just plain outrageous at something like 50$ per Mbytes no matter that you'd buy a simple little 1MB 30 pin SIMM or larger 16Mybtes 72 pin SIMMs.

Maybe that has something to do with it.

Personnally, however, I didn't move onto the PC until I found on it an OS that was more or less equivalent to the OS 2.04 that I enjoyed on my Amiga 3000 and that was in late 1994 when I got Windows NT 3.51.

Everybody told me I was crazy to go directly for NT as it was supposed to be "for networks only " but man did it run Netscape Navigator like nothing else! I pity those poor souls who were still babbling with Windows for workgroups or OSII/Warp.
Be normal.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

An Amiga 1200 was my main computer until 1999 when I got a PC with Windows 95.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

eslapion wrote:I remember in the early 90's the price of RAM was just plain outrageous at something like 50$ per Mbytes no matter that you'd buy a simple little 1MB 30 pin SIMM or larger 16Mybtes 72 pin SIMMs.
In 1993 the going rate (in Canada) was $60 per MB
A 250mb IDE hard drive was about same cost as 4mb of ram.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

I recall a weird paradox:

IBM, Microsoft, and sellers of MSDOS type machines convinced business users that graphics were not important to business computing, and machines with decent graphics were only for video games...

And Apple convinced business users that instant pie charts and WYSIWIG word processing were essential to business.
Frank
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Frank »

RJBowman wrote:I recall a weird paradox:

IBM, Microsoft, and sellers of MSDOS type machines convinced business users that graphics were not important to business computing, and machines with decent graphics were only for video games...

And Apple convinced business users that instant pie charts and WYSIWIG word processing were essential to business.
Oh and lets not forget the Anti competition practices of Microsoft. Nintendo was also famous for this.
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

Frank wrote:Oh and lets not forget the Anti competition practices of Microsoft. Nintendo was also famous for this.
I don't really remember that being a big factor until after Windows 95 was released and they set about to first kill OS/2 Warp and then Netscape. Did Microsoft do something to kill pre-windows hardware makers?
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

RJBowman wrote:...and they set about to first kill OS/2 Warp...
Actuall OS/2 was killed by IBM. First they spent a lot of money on developing and advertising warp 3, then they didn't sell it. Obviously IBM could afford to lose money.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!