Cave-in and Auto Proofreader

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Shamusboy
Vic 20 Newbie

Cave-in and Auto Proofreader

Post by Shamusboy »

In the course of doing research and becoming familiar with Basic 2.0 again, I typed in a game from Jan 1984 Compute! Gazette called "Cave-in". I'm using the proofreader and a disk drive, so checking the entries, saving, etc are not an issue.

So here's the problem. I carefully typed in the program, the checksums matched but the program doesn't run properly. I've rechecked the lines as my first thought was perhaps I missed entering one but all appears well.

The "error" is in that when the map is being built ("Mine being dug"), it overwrites the title screen with wacko characters. It's not supposed to do this :D and then it appears to be trapped in a loop (check out this working version)

The next step is to check for "transposition" errors as this appears to be something the proofreader doesn't catch. Just not sure what I'm actually looking for though.

Has anyone else run into this type of problem when using Proofreader? What did you look for? What am I missing!? :D

Thanks for your time in advance!
Stay on target!
Shamusboy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Shamusboy »

Fixed it.
I did a file size comparison and saw a discrepancy (mine was a few bytes smaller). I then did a line by line comparison and found that I'd missed a few spaces (something the proofreader I have doesn't check for). Well, now it works and I'm able to run the program on my Vic no problem.

Lesson learned: No Space is empty space.
Stay on target!