Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

ral-clan wrote:Have we ever done an age poll here on Denial? I'm pretty sure 80% of the users would be in their 30s, based on the time it takes between getting one's first VIC as a kid and becoming nostalgic about it.
Good idea. Just launched a new poll :wink:
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

The name I use here is just my last name... Not too exciting... ;-)

But my "handle" is Balzabaar. That's just a name that I made up when I first signed up on QuantumLink in 1987. I guess I just liked the name because it sounded sort of demonic, but was't. hehehehehe Then I started using it on local BBS's. I still use Balzabaar as my handle on AOL Instant Messenger, and it's also my handle on my own BBS (Cottonwood - 951-242-3593).

The way I came up with the name for my BBS is also a sort of interesting story. I was trying to come up with a name for it when I opened it in 1987. I wanted something that sounded nice, but no one else had already used. I went on vacation that summer to Sun Valley, Idaho. While I was there, at some resort community, they had names for the different neighborhoods. One of those neighborhoods was "Cottonwood". I liked it, and when I got back home, I opened my BBS with that name. I don't think I've ever told anyone that... :-)

-Andrew
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

wiskow wrote:The name I use here is just my last name... Not too exciting... ;-)

But my "handle" is Balzabaar. That's just a name that I made up when I first signed up on QuantumLink in 1987. I guess I just liked the name because it sounded sort of demonic, but was't. hehehehehe Then I started using it on local BBS's. I still use Balzabaar as my handle on AOL Instant Messenger, and it's also my handle on my own BBS (Cottonwood - 951-242-3593).

The way I came up with the name for my BBS is also a sort of interesting story. I was trying to come up with a name for it when I opened it in 1987. I wanted something that sounded nice, but no one else had already used. I went on vacation that summer to Sun Valley, Idaho. While I was there, at some resort community, they had names for the different neighborhoods. One of those neighborhoods was "Cottonwood". I liked it, and when I got back home, I opened my BBS with that name. I don't think I've ever told anyone that... :-)

-Andrew
Welcome Andrew!

We could use a little "Demonic" around here somedays :lol:
(Must of been that 80's death metal thing we were into :wink: )

Brian
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

name

Post by damnstraight »

Damnstraight , just a reflection of my personality. I am direct and to the point. I just joined recently after getting a couple more vic's. I have been collecting commodore and amiga for years, but till recently the vic's sat dorment. Not anymore. :D
I thunk once and it hurt!
Centallica
Pinballer

Re: name

Post by Centallica »

damnstraight wrote:Damnstraight , just a reflection of my personality. I am direct and to the point. I just joined recently after getting a couple more vic's. I have been collecting commodore and amiga for years, but till recently the vic's sat dorment. Not anymore. :D
Welcome to the boards and look forward to reading your threads!!

I thought your user name meant that you were proud of being "straight" :P

Glad to see another Amiga User in the group too :D

Brian
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

proud of being straight

Post by damnstraight »

I am straight, I dont know how proud as I haven't been active in quite a while. ;) but thats another story. :roll:
I thunk once and it hurt!
ssjlance
super saiya-jin

Post by ssjlance »

SSJ is from the first anime I anxiously awaited the next episode of when it was new (AKA Dragonball Z). It stands for Super Saiya-Jin, which was a level of power that a member of the alien Saiyan race could reach if he was strong enough and had a heart of either pure good or pure evil at the time.

And Lance is my name. :twisted:

I would like to go by my real-life nickname, Stalker, but it's a bit awkward to introduce yourself as Stalker. And my other nickname, Kitty, is kind of embarrasing....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps you could go under the suspicious name as Kitty-Stalker.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ssjlance
super saiya-jin

Post by ssjlance »

You know, I never thought of that....

Kind of makes me sound like a furry fan, though....
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

Hi All,

Just joined Denial after hearing Schema mention it a few times other places. The Vic was my first computer - around 1983 I believe but I don't remember exactly. It had been sitting dormant and keyboardless until very recently and is now just awaiting it's revival. It won't be long...
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Well, I guess I've posted enough now to explain 'Victragic'

That's not a slur on the VIC, I took it from an expression used to describe our prime minister, his eye-browness John Howard.. he is a 'cricket tragic', which just means someone who loves the game but can't play it at all...

Same with me - I love the VIC, but am not especially skilled with it...

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
C2N
Vic 20 Drifter

username origins

Post by C2N »

Mine's kind of obvious. C2N after the beloved Datassette! My VIC is in for repairs at the moment and I'm missing it badly! Old Computers.com is great but a web site devoted solely to the VIC-20? Fantastic! Believe me, it was REALLY hard to find a repairman who didn't charge an arm and a leg due to the "exotic" nature of the computer! Of course, they're calling it a "love job" an excuse to take a million years to fix my baby.
hugsnballoons
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hugsnballoons »

hi!
I got my name after a album i made., it was a complexed piece, based on modularsynth's like serge, and buchla.,but still was very techno like, but minimal.
Lately my music goals has drifted abit, as always. However i found a vic-20. and got a superexpander cart with it, and the thing works! Im old enuff to remember the vic, mostly as the vic64., but one cool thing is that a friend of mine and his family was "models" for the handbook/manual of vic-20, i've seen a pic somewhere in the last days of browsing. atleast the europa edition.
well im here to learn and have some use of my machine. Other vintage computer i use is yamaha's cx5m, and a atari2600 ...and ofc a setup with drummachines and synth's etc.

peace all!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

hugsnballoons wrote:but one cool thing is that a friend of mine and his family was "models" for the handbook/manual of vic-20
That is cool!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

hugsnballoons wrote:Im old enuff to remember the vic, mostly as the vic64.,
So I guess you're a swede then?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)