What systems do you play?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

What systems do you play?

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been watching a lot of G4TV. This is the all videogame channel on cable here in the US. It is interesting to see videogame programs all day, everyday, but I think there is a very different aesthetic for modern gaming.

Comparing VIC games to modern gaming is like poetry to epic fiction. It is difficult to be in a proper mind state. I played my Atari 2600 games on an emulator and was reminded of what the 80s game aesthetic should be. My games are really good when you look at them from an 80s mind set.

Anyway, I want to know. Emulator or real, what systems do you play? Be realistic. Although I enjoy atari, I probably spend more time on the dreamcast. So, here is my frequency in estimation:

gameboy advance
dreamcast
genesis
saturn
vic 20 (sigh, I have to be honest)
super nintendo
atari 2600
and misc (arcade, neo geo pocket, nes, etc.)

This changes from time to time, but as of this month, that is the order of popularity.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Lloyd Mangram
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

At the moment its mostly C64, SNES, Amiga and Vic-20 (as I have just bought one). I do have emulators that cover most systems but never seem to have enough time in the day to use them!
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

we (my daughter and i), don't play very often, and if we do, its usually only for about 15 or 20 minutes.

however, when we do, we spread our platform playing pretty evenly i think.

this has much to do with the fact that all the consoles can be found in one room in our house, and we just pick what game we want to play, and go from there.

one minute we could be playing burger time on the intellivision, then missile command on the 2600, then off to street fighter on the sega genesis, etc..

once in a while we will play some games for longer durations, before watching a movie, say on a friday night, but that mostly happens in the winter.

once the days get longer here, we spend far less time inside.

i do have some ongoing games however.

treasure of tarmin on the intellivision
- i adore this game, and still have yet to get to level 256 on the hardest level. i have a small part of my basement all themed up, just to play this game!
sadly no save feature, and in order to go all the way to level 256, you have to play for a LONG time, and i just can't justify leaving a very warm intellivision on in my house, unattended. emulation of this game does not do it justice.
- i play this say on a long weekend, when i know i have an extra day to kill. this is one of those games that i am sure i will be playing for decades, as i am hooked and it always draws me back.

fifa 2002 on the playstation
- playing a team in the Norwegian league, and play a game maybe once or twice a month.

fifa 2004 on the GBA
- AWESOME game, and i am again playing in the Norwegian league, and play a game on this maybe once every couple of weeks.

spyro 2 on the playstation.
- still have not finished it, and only pop it in once in a blue moon

other than that, i am sure we would be playing more games (like Pac Land for the C64) if my daughter had more influence ')

chris
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

For me it's MAME in a cabinet for the true retro feel plus the added little bonus of a kick-ass sub-woofer system hooked up to it :wink:

(Click my website at the bottom border of this frame) if you wanna peek at it....not perfectly built but does the trick!

I have the NES, C64/Vic and Pinmame roms to go into this system but haven't had a desire to load them :shock:

The 2 (Vic-20 and MAME) remind me of the high school years in the 80's where everyday go to the Arcade after school and come home and play on my Vic-20.

Anybody else here into Pinball Machines?
Brian
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

man, what a cool room brian!

my mother would lose her mind, as she is a huge pinball fan, and i know she has played a couple that you have, like whirlwind and gorgan?

do you remember the name of the pinball machine that you could have 6 balls (i think 6) going at once, if you managed to get 5 trapped and then have them all release later.

it had a spaceship theme i think, started with the letter 'f' in the title?

chris
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

vic user wrote:man, what a cool room brian!

my mother would lose her mind, as she is a huge pinball fan, and i know she has played a couple that you have, like whirlwind and gorgan?

do you remember the name of the pinball machine that you could have 6 balls (i think 6) going at once, if you managed to get 5 trapped and then have them all release later.

it had a spaceship theme i think, started with the letter 'f' in the title?

chris
Thanks Chris!

My grade 8 yearbook back in 1981 said under life's ambition: "Arcade Owner" and I had to live up to it :wink:

Whirlwind is a 3 ball multiball with spinning disks on the playfield and a fan blowing topper! Funhouse next to it has a talking head that laughs at your shots and is sarcastic at you :twisted:

A multiball machine that starts with "F" and a space theme...hmmm...the only one I can think of is Firepower which is a 2 ball multi or F-14 which is a 3 ball Fighterjet themed.

I would have to guess you mean a 13 ball space themed game and that would be Apollo 13....CRAZY multi-ball madness that is!!!

If you're in the GTA area drop me a email, games are always on freeplay :wink:

Brian
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Yep, Firepower, thanks!

man, i must have been pretty bad back then, to think i had to deal with 6 balls, when in reality i only had to deal with 3!

are you serious about the apolo 13 having 13 balls?

must have been an interesting design!

chris
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

vic user wrote:Yep, Firepower, thanks!

man, i must have been pretty bad back then, to think i had to deal with 6 balls, when in reality i only had to deal with 3!

are you serious about the apolo 13 having 13 balls?

must have been an interesting design!

chris
Firepower was the 1st Solid State (old Electro-mechanical with bells and score reels had a few games made with multiball) pinball with multi-ball and 2nd game with voice (Gorgar being 1st). That Firepower rocks!

Apollo 13 does have 13 balls for real! I think at that point though the balls just bash into each other and it looses it's multiball effect personally of having free rein of the playfield 8)

Brian
SuperPsycho
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by SuperPsycho »

Here's a ist of all my systems in the order in which I aquired them:

(1) NES
(2) GameBoy
(3) Genesis
(4) GameGear
(5) Nintendo64
(6) Commodore 64
(7) Atari 5200
(8 ) Atari 2600
(9) GameCube
(10) Apple IIgs - good for earlier Apple II games as well
(11) SuperNES
(12) Dreamcast
(13) SMS
(14) Sega CD
(15) Atari 7800
(16) Sega 32X
(17) Saturn
(18 ) GameBoyAdvance:SP
(19) Atari Lynx
(20) Intellivision
(21) Neo Geo color Pocket
(22) Nintendo DS
(23) Odyssey^2

Sorta duplicates... in addition to my C64 I also have an SX-64.... both setups have JiffyDOS installed.

I also have two of each for my older portable systems... Lynx and Game Gear (two player!)

I'd say the Apple IIgs is really my favorite...
-SuperPsycho
"Why yes, I would like some cerial with my sugar please."
Sparky
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sparky »

systems i play honestly…

TG16 ( hooked on this baby :D )
Vicky
atari 2600
Dreamcast (love the fishing and shooting games)
GBA
SNES

these not as much cause its on the basement TV…

Sega Genesis with CD, 32x and mouse
Sega Saturn
Sega Master System
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Sparky wrote:SNES
That is another system that has some great games :P

Chrono Trigger, Zelda III, Brianlord, Final Fantasy :D

Brian
Sparky
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sparky »

i like my shoot'em'ups…
Raiden Trad, Darius Twin & Gradius III i have so far

sparky likey!!!! :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Turbo Grafx is amazing! I have the portable (with TV) and I play the home system for NEctaris! Amazing game! If you don't have a TG16, try the playstation version... (if you can find it).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Sparky
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sparky »

Jeff-20 wrote:Turbo Grafx is amazing! I have the portable (with TV) and I play the home system for NEctaris! Amazing game! If you don't have a TG16, try the playstation version... (if you can find it).
That portable (Turbo Express) is a hard find in Canada even more with the TV tuner. I own about 60 games for the Tg16 & most are great but ya got to watch out cause when the game is bad its really bad. :shock:
6502dude
megacart

Re: What systems do you play?

Post by 6502dude »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've been watching a lot of G4TV. .
I used to watch this channel on regular basis when it was known as "Tech TV". It was then focused on new technology, tips for computer users, and hardware.

After it morphed into G4TV, and changed focus to be dominated by gaming, I lost interest.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20