De-yellowing your VIC-20 case

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: De-yellowing your VIC-20 case

Post by Rich »

It nots that bad, is that the burn marks by the funtion keys and bottom left. It will be nice to see your progress.

Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Wayne / Art Ravers »

Rich wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:54 pm It nots that bad, is that the burn marks by the funtion keys and bottom left. It will be nice to see your progress.

I "Think" they re some sort of Burn Mark but... I do Not know what caused it ??? It was like this when I got it - Oh the Joy of Buying Vic 20's Off Ebay...

Having said that in a Bitchy and Spiteful way I will say - IT WORKS ! So I want to Improve the Look of it, Given the time to look again at yours Rich I have to say - NO, Mine is NOT as Yellow as yours, HOWEVER, I do think this Machine Can be Improved and DOES need the TLC, so I have took it upon myself to do so... The Burn Marks make it look Tacky.

Hoping to Post a Epoxy "Attacked" ( Improved Version ! ) Vic 20 soon... :D
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Yes they call it burn marks from the old cable touching it over the years and there's a chemical reaction between the two plastics :roll:
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Hi ! I'm Back ! So after a Lot of Stress and Hassle I have this -

https://imgur.com/a/1w5IKIN

What do you think ? Found it a HUGE PITA to be honest ! Kept going to the Wife after Filing a bit and saying "How is this ?"
And she was like "You need to smooth it down some more"
And I was like - :roll: :roll: :roll:
About to spray the Motha Ducker...
:D
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Rich wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:22 am Yes they call it burn marks from the old cable touching it over the years and there's a chemical reaction between the two plastics :roll:
That's a Bummer - Hopefully I can Improve what my Keyboard looked like !!!

So on that note... Here Is Another Picture -

https://imgur.com/a/Dot1M5W
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

I have to say and I can NOT say this enough - SMOOTHING it was a PITA ! I used a Fine Nail File as previously suggested by someone on here - Thanks Guys :D :D :D

Next Bit scares me - Spraying it With The Spray Paint !!! :shock:
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

This is great. You will be pleased when its all done, I was a bit hesitant when I did mine. A nail file was great to smooth it down.

Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !

Erm... Let me start from the Beginning...
So earlier, I started Spray Painting the Keyboard - I Unscrewed the Keyboard so I have 2 BITS, 2 SECTIONS, whatever. I started Spraying and I've Sprayed the "Commodore" Logo Bit ( I did put a piece of paper on Top of it but when I sprayed the Spray pushed the paper away and Coated Paint at the same time !!!
Also... ( Oh yeah, It gets worse... ) Spray Paint has got down the side AND on the Keys !!! :(
Am scared to go any further - And... I dont know what the F#ck to do ???
Part of me is like "STOP" let it dry, put it together and leave it the F#ck alone, The other part is like "NO" - Get a Key removing Tool, Remove all the Keys that have paint on and Individually Wash And Clean them :shock: THEN finish Spraying the Bl##dy thing !!!
Apologies for the rant - I was quite pleased with my progress, I really DO forget how CLUELESS I am with Stuff like this :(
Normally I wont even Swap a Computer Chip in a Computer...
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Additional : When I started Unscrewing the 2 Halves of the Vic 20 I could see there were MORE screws to take the Keyboard Bit away BUT, The presence of the Wires FRIGHTENED me, So I decided to "Wayne It" ( Dumb it down and keep it as simple as possible ), on reflection I should have asked someone for help - Even someone holding a piece of Cardboard would have prevented the Spray Paint on the Keys ! You Live And Learn !
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Wayne / Art Ravers wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:20 pm AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !

So earlier, I started Spray Painting the Keyboard - I Unscrewed the Keyboard so I have 2 BITS, 2 SECTIONS, whatever. I started Spraying and I've Sprayed the "Commodore" Logo Bit ( I did put a piece of paper on Top of it but when I sprayed the Spray pushed the paper away and Coated Paint at the same time !!!
Also... ( Oh yeah, It gets worse... ) Spray Paint has got down the side AND on the Keys !!! :(
Part of me is like "STOP" let it dry, put it together and leave it the F#ck alone, The other part is like "NO" - Get a Key removing Tool, Remove all the Keys that have paint on and Individually Wash And Clean them :shock: THEN finish Spraying the Bl##dy thing !!!
Apologies for the rant - I was quite pleased with my progress, I really DO forget how CLUELESS I am with Stuff like this :(

???? How come you did`nt remove everything, like I did :roll:

Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Rich wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:33 am
Wayne / Art Ravers wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:20 pm AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !

???? How come you did`nt remove everything, like I did :roll:

Cos I undid the 2 Parts saw the Wires and PANICKED like F#ck ! I DO NOT UNDO WIRES ( If they were coming out and NEVER going to be back in I would not care - I have a Dreamcast that Needs a New Power Supply so I am hoping to do that ( although after this I am Freaking out about the prospect !!! ) eventually, but unplugging wires and re-inserting them - They scare me ! As in - If I un-do them how do they go back together ???

Yeah, I've F#cked up bad. Tempted to throw it in the bin and give up - Cant do with the stress. And then the Wife is saying to me "Oh it's not Important" - Well YES it is to me - It's my Hobby and my Happy Place.
Really F#cked off TBH !
I need to re-assemble it and step away from it for a bit. CANT COPE ! :( :( :(

Anybody here from Bradford that can help me please ?
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

Ok, Ok, Captain "STRESS HEAD" has left the Building. Got myself a Big Glass Of Calm and had a Big Talk with myself. I am now Calm ( Well... As Calm as I get !!! :D ). I have got a Plan, The Plan is this - Take OFF all the Keys, Wash Them, Let them Dry, Put them back on, Put the Computer back together - Cross Fingers and hope everything is ok :lol: :lol: :lol:
If Not... I have a NONE Functioning Vic that needs ( I believe ?! ) a New Chip 6502 or the Kernal Rom, not sure which, I have already acquired a Kernal Rom Chip, just need to get a 6502 now - Any suggestions on Places that are reliable please ?

Either way, I DO plan on getting BOTH VIC'S up and running ! Long Live The Vic !!! :D

I WILL Post Pictures when I have Done. Silly Wayne - Getting yourself in a Tizzy ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually Amend that... I have already begun Cleaning the Keyboard, Now I Dont seem to be able to get "All" the Paint Off, but you know what ? It's got Character and MORE Importantly it's a Lesson for me in not been a Silly Billy ! Ahh, I feel better now - SOOOOO Stressed before !
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Wayne / Art Ravers wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:24 pm I have already acquired a Kernal Rom Chip, just need to get a 6502 now - Any suggestions on Places that are reliable please ?
I'm pretty sure I've ordered parts from this guy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325396424917
Wayne / Art Ravers
Vic 20 Drifter

srowe wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 pm
Wayne / Art Ravers wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:24 pm I have already acquired a Kernal Rom Chip, just need to get a 6502 now - Any suggestions on Places that are reliable please ?
I'm pretty sure I've ordered parts from this guy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325396424917
Hi Srowe - Thanks for replying ! :D
As Paddy Mcguinness would say "That'll Ding Dang Do for me !"
Many, Many Thank You's :)
( And an Extra Big THANK YOU for replying so quickly too ! 8) )
a4000bear
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by a4000bear »

Rich wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:22 am Yes they call it burn marks from the old cable touching it over the years and there's a chemical reaction between the two plastics :roll:
Al little bit late here, but some time ago, I found a way to at least partially remove 'cable burns' simply by cleaning the affected area with mineral turpentine. Cable burns appear to be some kind of chemical reaction between the ABS plastic of the case and the PVC of the cable. This leaves behind a shallow groove in the surface of the ABS, with a buildup of a dirty looking plastic material around the groove.

While the turpentine will do nothing to get rid of the groove, the buildup seems to be slightly soluble in turpentine, so gently rubbing the area with a clean cloth soaked in turpentine should remove it. Be aware that some formulations of ABS can be slightly softened by turpentine, so make sure the cloth is clean, non abrasive, and is well saturated with turpentine so it won't 'drag' across the surface. Rub gently. If it feels 'draggy' at all, add more turpentine and rub more gently. When finished allow the turpentine to dry off naturally.

The buildup should be removed, and although the groove will still be there, it is usually not too obvious.