New Release: Balls to the Walls

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

New Release: Balls to the Walls

Post by vicassembly »

This is my initial release of my first completely machine language game.

"Balls to the Walls" runs on a Vic with 16K of memory. If you own a Blackberry this game may seem 'vaguely familiar.' <grin>

There are 34 screens in the first round. If you can get through all 34 they repeat at a much faster pace. I will not spoil the game play but there are all sorts of hidden 'things' throughout the game. There are special functions, ammo, etc. Have fun.

The program can be downloaded here:

http://home.comcast.net/~aedb15t/balls% ... 0walls.prg

A few screen prints: (Title screen, Screen 1, and Screen 13)

Image[/img][/url]
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Seems like a nice game! But... hey- those pictures are huge!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

Boray: Lol I am new to this screen snap-shot with my MAC. I guess the resolution is pretty crazy big. Next time I will go smaller.
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

Excellent game, vicassembly!!!! A very good variant of the old "arkanoid style" game... and I would add that it's one of the best one!!!! May I report you some kind of bugs?
Well, let's start:
1. Once the ball passed through two different blocks placeded diagonally;
2. I noticed that firing with laser, a trace of the sprite remains on the top of the game area
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

nice game :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

Ivanhoe76: Thanks! It was a labor of love and learning. Due to how my hi-res routines and collision checking are coded I determined that the diagonal passing through would be a 'feature' for now. There are a couple of other things that I don't like as well (the most irritating being when some ball trajectories do not meet the object cleanly when bouncing). This is due to the choice of using a multi-colored ball and having to move 2 pixels at a time.

The laser sprite does randomly get stuck and I have seen that. For the next release I will get that taken care of (when I can nail down what is taking place when it happens)

Once again... Thanks.

nlba000: Glad you liked it. The funny thing is when I was testing the game on my real Vic I found myself experiencing the 'addiction factor.' I wanted to continually play again so I could experience the next screens. Cheers.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Very cool, and nice to see you get it completed too. Congrats for a job well done!!

I think it's time for a Le Mans racing game, don't you? You seem to have VIC raster manipulation down pretty good, so it's time for a nice breakthrough in that genre and also make our dear friend nbla000 very, very happy. 8)
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

yeah, those pics are big, but I can't wait to try this! No emulation for me. haha
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok, the Start and Game Over screens are amazing. I wasn't thrilled about hitting F7 between levels, but the F1 Help screen is an welcome extra. I love that I can decide the initial trajectory of the ball. I don't think I've seen that in any breakout game. Overall, amazing!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

rhurst wrote:I think it's time for a Le Mans racing game, don't you?
so it's time for a nice breakthrough in that genre and also make our dear friend nbla000 very, very happy. 8)
oh yes :D
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Nice game! Collecting the "bombs" etc. is very Arkanoid.
IMHO, the ball is a little too small and square.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I played it for a little while today. I got a hi score of 1920 on level 6 or 7. I liked the laser drop. It helped out on those pesky last 1 or 2 blocks. I wish it didn't switch to the game over screen so quickly or maybe displayed score and level on it. But, that screen in itself is very cool. I hope to be at least half as talented with ML programming as you guys on here. Again, nice game.
Rob
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

Enough people mentioned Arakanoid that I thought I better "Youtube" it. I have never heard of the game but what I saw was pretty cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44rceRqY8_k

A couple of tidbits....

1. Can anyone name the tune on the startup screen? HINT: I am a musical theatre baritone and the stage is one of my passions.

2. I added a cheat key that will take you to the next level. It is not too hard to find.

Aha.... Score and Completed level will assuredly go on the game over screen in the next release. DUH!! :-) Totally forgot that.
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Very nice game. It is also well playable with a mouse - now I have another reason for always having a mouse attached to my vic ;-)

After some joyful playing I came across the level with the L-shaped solid wall. Tricky to get the ball behind the wall, but I finally managed it and cleared most of the bricks. The ball came back down on the left side of the wall and somehow "permeated" the solid bricks and vanished! I could still hear the *blip*s and another brick changed color from being hit, but the ball was completely invisible. Eventually it went of the field and I lost.

Thanks for this fun game!
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!