Space Invaders

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Startropic1
Vic 20 Drifter

Space Invaders

Post by Startropic1 »

I remember having Space Invaders for my Vic-20 when I was a kid but I can't find any mention of the vic-20 version anywhere. I remember it was a cartridge game and I know it said Space Invaders on it, so it wasn't one of those knockoffs. Does anyone else remember having this for Vic-20??
Gorf FTW
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Space Invaders

Post by folkoh »

Startropic1 wrote:I remember it was a cartridge game and I know it said Space Invaders on it, so it wasn't one of those knockoffs. Does anyone else remember having this for Vic-20??
AFAIK there is no VIC cart branded as "Space Invaders". Still, Commodores 1st cart (1901 - Avenger) is a brilliant Space Invader- Clone and there are many other clones and homebrews.

During the VICs commercial lifespan the brand "Space Invaders" has been owned by ATARI (for the video console and home computer market) and they never made a Invader-Cart for the VIC.

Really, I think your memory about a VIC cart branded as Space Invaders is not correct. If you were right, this would be a sensation in the well documented VIC cart history.

Greetings,

Folko
Startropic1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Startropic1 »

I just loaded up Avenger in VICE and that's definitely the game I remember playing, though I know the cartridge wasn't labeled "Avenger".

Maybe someone changed the cartridge label. I had this in Canada, maybe different titles were used in Canada?
Gorf FTW
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

It could also be a pirated cart, sold as Space Invaders... Don't know if there were much piracy for VIC20.
My other interest: http://channelf.se
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

e5frog wrote:It could also be a pirated cart, sold as Space Invaders... Don't know if there were much piracy for VIC20.
This is a real possibility, many atari 2600 games were pirated and sold as 're-branded' games
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I vaguely remember something I read in the book "On the Edge" (CBM history by B. Bagnall), or it was M. Tomczyk's "Home Computer Wars"?
Some arcade games were first sold in Japan with their proper name, but Commodore had to change it after legal issues with the original software houses.
This for sure was the case of Pacman -> Jelly Monster, Rally-X -> Radar Rat Race, and Galaxian -> Star Battle; but I can't remember about Avenger.

Cartzilla reports:
It is interesting to note that Commodore's first ever game cart was a version of Space Invaders. (See how popular SI once was?) It is also interesting to note that this is one of the rare times Commodore made no mention onscreen of this being copyrighted by them. In other words, there is no date or copyright displayed.
This could be a consequence of them being sued by Taito!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Startropic1 wrote:[...] that's definitely the game I remember playing, though I know the cartridge wasn't labeled "Avenger".
Even the user's guide mentions the - originally supposed(?) - name of the cartridge in the Preface:
Cartridges and tapes include exciting "arcade-type" games such as "VIC INVADERS" as well as educational programs to help you develop special skills, and home utility programs to help you solve problems and perform calculations.
Also, in the German translation it was called "VC Invaders".

In that case, there might pop up an early produced cartridge, even with a slightly different (in that case original) version of Avenger ... as had happened with Waterloo BASIC.
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

Or Startropic1 doesn't remember exactly right after some 25 years or so.

I have searched for a version of They Sold a Million III for C64 that I seem to remember that I have, I have gotten the versions that I've found but none of them feels the same way that I remember - I was under the impression the cover was a different color, but it seems I may just remember it incorrectly.

I guess I will only know if I DO find it, if I don't I will assume my mind has played me a trick. Not that it matters for the gaming experience though - I think. ;-)
My other interest: http://channelf.se
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Another good Space Invaders clone is Alien Blitz, it was released both in cart and tape, get it from Arma's 6502dude mirror.

Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
jjb1011jjb
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jjb1011jjb »

i was at a arcade bar tonight that had tons of old school games and they had a space invaders stand up arcade machine i played a round wile i waited for my drink and as i was walking away from it i said its alot easier on my vic 20 at home avenger is a million times easier with the joystick

it was kinda fun to see a space invaders arcade machine in person
TBCVIC
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TBCVIC »

The best thing about the Space Invaders arcard machine is the sound. That's some deep bass!
Ola Andersson
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Agreed! Amazing sound and great side art too. The one with the menacing alien throwing missles down at you. The only thing I don't like is that the cab is not designed for taller players. I have to stoop low to see inside to the screen.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Have you tried my Sprite Invaders ... standard VIC bass voice used, but yes, effective! :D

You might be able to play it online too.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing