Nufekop games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

hammerco
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hammerco »

I know this is a very old thread, I just thought I'd clarify a few things.

Nufekop authored every game it ever published except Exterminator, Widow's Revenge and a couple other utilities that it had exclusive distribution rights. Bubble Bus was a legitimate publisher that licensed most of Nufekop's titles as well as hundreds from other companies. Softsmith and Video Wizards also licensed Nufekop titles. There were dozens of companies that were pirating Nufekop software, the names Carter software, maybe Rabbit software come to mind.

Froggee was not a Nufekop title, not sure how that connection was made.

Bored? www.nufekop.com
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Neat info about Nufekop. Were you affiliated with the company?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, I'd seen the link a few days ago and had a look at the site. Rabbit Software, to my knowledge, was licensed here in the UK from Nufekop also. Most of the time it was either Rabbit or Bubble Bus, but there is one game (The Catch) that both published.

As per what Ral-Clan inquired, did you have something to do with the company? I hadn't got Widow's Revenge listed at all, so that's gone into GB20 now.

Also the Alien Panic linked on the site is different (quite a bit) to the TAP available for the entry in GB20. Are they the same game and different versions or something?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
hammerco
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hammerco »

Yeah, I worked there. Interesting about Rabbit, I know we licensed to Bubble Bus, but I've never seen or heard of Rabbit till a couple years ago I ran into some artwork of Rabbit's where they clearly had Nufekop games. I wonder if they were affiliated with Bubble Bus?

Several of the Nufekop games were quickly released, then a 2nd version was made that supported both keyboard & joystick and generally a little better play and more polished. There wasn't really an avenue to support updating versions, so they just shipped the latest. The unfortunate thing is that they aren't versioned (couldn't give up a couple bytes to include a version # :), and it appears to me that a lot of the copies floating around the net are the early versions.

Mayhem- I do want to clarify, Widow's Revenge is a C64 title only, I was just recalling out-of-house Nufekop titles. Sorry about the confusion I caused. If there is any info or titles I could help provide, let me know.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

To make this discussion more visible, I've split off the posts in their own topic ;)

Thanks for the clarification there. Rabbit Software here in the UK published titles from quite a few US companies, and generally credited them on the loading screens. This leads me to believe they were genuinely licensed rather than ripping the originals off, but I could be wrong. Rabbit had nothing to do with Bubble Bus.

Interesting note about versions there. The Alien Panic file I had is quite basic compared to the one on the website; it has no scoring mechanism and evidently no lives counter either. I own quite a few Nufekop originals so many of those in Gamebase20 are from my collection. If I do spot people who own Nufekop titles I may ask them to back them up to see if they are different to the ones I already have. I am likely to probably keep the latest version released, unless I can think of a suitable way to separate versions.

Cheers for noting Widow's Revenge, I've removed it from GB20. It's already present in GB64 so don't have to worry about finding it.

I have the following titles listed in GB20 for Nufekop. Ones marked with * I don't have any playable game file so if you are able to provide them, I would be grateful! Likewise more packaging scans...

*3D Man
Alien Panic
Antimatter Splatter
*Bomber
Catch
*Collide
Defender on Tri
Dodge Cars
Escape
Exterminator
Froggee
*Gallows
*Invasion
Journey
King's Ransom
Krazy Kong
Quirk
Rescue from Nufon
*Search
*Spelit
*Target
*Times+
Vikman

You said Froggee was NOT a Nufekop title? I know it got mentioned in the CDS thread, but I haven't found any information to show who else it might have been.
Last edited by Mayhem on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hammerco
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hammerco »

Yes, Froggee is not a Nufekop title. I should be able to supply you programs and box images for the missing titles you mentioned. What's the best way to get them to you.

btw- you might hit nufekop.com again, I just posted a prototype game and pics of prototype nufekop cartridges.

I've got a sizable collection of vic disks, is your 'missing' list posted somewhere?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Wow, those prototype cartridges are really rare and special! Thanks so much for showing us them. That's the sort of thing that is super interesting to us folks here on Denial.

I have a boxed version of Defender on Tri on cassette....but I think that one's very common. There was a whole bin of them in the late 1990s at a Toronto electronics surplus store. I had assumed for a while that Nufekop was a Canadian company because of that.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Defender on Tri common? I've only just got my hands on a cassette for that to be able to add to GB20...

(in fact I did it just today!)

Most of the Nufekop titles I have are just tape in case, I think I only have the boxes to one, maybe two of them, and only one instruction sheet. Guess people chucked out the packaging...

So... are you Scott Elder then? If so, pleasure to see you here... I might just have to go and buy the book now heh...

As for the cartridges, if you wish to let any of them go, please let me know ;)

If Froggee was not Nufekop, then I'll remove the tag against for it for the company. The hunt is then on to find out who actually published it... maybe it was CDS directly?

Sadly there is no "missing list" drawn up because it would be huge. And that's just what I know about from entries already in the database. Since v0.2 of Gamebase20 came out at Xmas, I've already made almost another 100 new entries! If you've got a substantial collection, who knows what might be on there that I need...

For the Nufekop titles I listed before, I have some year and programmer information but not all, so if you know all of those, that would be a start. Aside from the boxes to Alien Panic and Dodge Cars that you put up on the site, the only other box I've got is Krazy Kong, so I'd need packaging scans (300 dpi) for the rest. Anything can be emailed to my Hotmail address (linked in the button at the bottom of all my posts) but it has a 10MB per email limit I think. Or they might have relaxed that recently, I can't recall. But anything will be gratefully received ;)
hammerco
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hammerco »

There's a (kind of) funny story about all that surplus of software in Canada. Right about at the time of the big crash in 1984, a company (I can't remember the name...) out of Canada, with great credit references, offered to buy most everything we had in the warehouse, on 90 day terms. They seemed very legit, they haggled to get the price per piece way down, but it was a huge sale, maybe $150,000. We shipped, they never paid. Over the years I've heard the same story from several other small companies. I think it was a fairly organized attempt to either simply rip off starving companies or intentionally drive them out of business.
hammerco
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hammerco »

You caught me! (yes Scott).

I have more images and stuff than you'd want. That was actually the motivation for doing that silly book. By gathering all photos and scanning everything, I feel I preserved our little corner of classic gaming, if for no one else but my kids. Actually if you're into vic 20, I think you'll find it interesting.

I will email you some box scans, keeping each email reasonably small.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Ah! That explains the surplus in Canada then! I never imagined I'd hear the explanation from the "horses mouth"! Must have been disappointing to not get that pay out...

So I guess that Nufekop titles are only "common" in Canada!

Anyway, if either of you guys need scans of Defender on Tri let me know. I might have another Nufekop title but it's likely that hammerco has things covered.

Mayhem, I should go over my tape collection sometime and compare it with what you have. I don't have a huge collection, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have a few niche titles by very small Canadan publishers you don't have yet (on the other hand - maybe not - sounds like your collection is immense). :)

I don't even know where do look at Gamebase 20! Googling now...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Links to Gamebase20 (download v0.2) can be found within the GB20 thread here on Denial. I believe two people are directly hosting it for starters. Scott has sent me a huge bundle of stuff already, so I think I'll be spending today going through them all heh...