Release: Night of the Ninja

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Release: Night of the Ninja

Post by Jeff-20 »

NIGHT OF THE NINJA

A game for the Unexpanded Vic 20, Joystick required. All BASIC.

Sneak into a fortress and steal a bunch of junk. Kind of stealthy. This game is really hard. There's an easy mode that alters the rules a bit. Just press any key during the title screen to activate easy mode. Read the brief instructions in the TXT file or you'll be totally lost.

DOWNLOAD

This is one of those games I never got around to posting. I made it last year, and never really optimized it since then. Just putting it up for the few who didn't get my last tape collection.

This game has four levels and an ending. Woo!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

You have an extraordinary fantasy for new games !
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

Excellent game, as usual, Jeff!!!! I'd like to learn to manage basic like you do!!! How can you make your game so fast? I'm going to analyze the listing to improve my basic skills: you're my basic-guru!!!
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks, guys! I drew that title screen myself too! :lol: I want to know if anyone can beat all four screens.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Great game as usual Jeff, thanks for releasing this - I have been looking forward to playing this for a while (nice ninja on the title screen as well!!!)

You should have been writing games 'back in the day'. Jeff minter once stated that he progressed to machine code as he found BASIC to restraining, I think your games show that good, tight coding can get around these limits. It's really cool the way the ninja's 'sneak' around the fortress instead of just acting like generic wandering monsters.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Pretty cool! I can't get past the second castle though :shock: High score 36 so far.

Are you supposed to be invulnerable when on a lantern? This trick saved me a couple of times.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Schema wrote:Are you supposed to be invulnerable when on a lantern? This trick saved me a couple of times.
Yeah, the lanterns can also be used as blockades and even safe spots, but the ninjas will eventually close in on you leaving no escape routes. :D
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by vicassembly »

Cool game, once again, Jeff.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re:

Post by Forbidden64 »

Schema wrote:Pretty cool! I can't get past the second castle though :shock: High score 36 so far.

Are you supposed to be invulnerable when on a lantern? This trick saved me a couple of times.

Just tried this game...after a while I got just exactly this score. 36. Did you ever beat this game from start to finish jeff?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Re:

Post by Jeff-20 »

Forbidden64 wrote:
Schema wrote:Pretty cool! I can't get past the second castle though :shock: High score 36 so far.

Just tried this game...after a while I got just exactly this score. 36. Did you ever beat this game from start to finish jeff?
Oh, wow. I can't remember. Forgot about this one. I think this was when I was making games really quickly. I'm pretty sure there's an ending. And now that I think about it, I did beat it! Many times while testing the ending song. It ends with the ninja on the roof with a song playing and some kind of message. I;m really happy someone is actually playing this. haha
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Release: Night of the Ninja

Post by siccoyote »

Just had a play on this for the past 45 minutes or so. I'm a Master Ninja, managed to rack up 190 points!

Hints:
The protectors can't go through or into lamps, so you can hide behind or inside them, unless they are the right letter then they can get you.
Draw the protectors out from around the lamps and take your time but be careful not to get boxed in.
ravenxau wrote:Jeff minter once stated that he progressed to machine code as he found BASIC to restraining, I think your games show that good, tight coding can get around these limits. It's really cool the way the ninja's 'sneak' around the fortress instead of just acting like generic wandering monsters.
I'd say the one place where basic really shows is the reaction to input, this one is good but still not perfect.
Forbidden64
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Release: Night of the Ninja

Post by Forbidden64 »

siccoyote wrote:Just had a play on this for the past 45 minutes or so. I'm a Master Ninja, managed to rack up 190 points!
You are a master ninja among mere mortal gamers...

I really want to beat this now. PS I didn't read the spoiler!

Jeff, you mean to say you actually played the entire game through for each test of the end sequence? I often make about 2 dozen tweaks in my code before I get it tuned in perfectly...you must have been playing it for WEEKS! Why not just "run 4000"(or where ever)? I guess it kills two birds with one stone...game testing and debugging/tweaking. That said, this game is pretty cool, and also quite hard.

On the control sensitivity subject, I find as long as you don't put FOR statements inside of a main loop you won't have problems. Instead just increment variables each cycle through the loop and you'll have great results. So if you want to move enemy just put:

Code: Select all

main:
e=e+1
ex(e) = ex(e) + 22
ey(e) = ey(e) + 1
if e=t then t = 0
goto main
The more enemy X's you have the slower they get, but your control will never fault.

Anyway, back on topic:

Edit: ARRG! I tried again and got to 88, but level 4 they just trapped me so easily. I'm going to beat this game! I just realized I died on the last level...