Cheat/Hack Software

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Cheat/Hack Software

Post by English Invader »

The Game Genie/Action Replay carts on my Sega consoles are virtually indespensible to me. This has got me thinking about the possibility of similar software for the VIC-20.

As far as I can see, it wouldn't need to be a cartridge. It could just be a program that you could run on the uIEC with PRG files or games on the Mega-Cart; something that would enable you to hack into the game and get infinite lives, energy, invincibility etc.

Is this a viable idea?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

i love the idea. I agree it is wonderful on Sega consoles where games are much longer, but which games on the VIC would benefit? Most games have level adjusters (like Ms. Pacman, you can skip to an advanced level). Other games just sort of repeat without variation.

I would like to have help in Gridrunner, but that's the only game I could think of.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I was thinking of Arcadia. I rarely get beyond level 4 or 5 and I know that the only way I'll ever get to see all the different enemies is by cheating.

There are a number of games like Beast of Eden, Frogger 07, Return to Fort Knox that have different enemies and levels which only the most ingenious gamers would ever get to see.

Also, cheat software might inspire someone to create the world's first VIC-20 game ending.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

English Invader wrote: Also, cheat software might inspire someone to create the world's first VIC-20 game ending.
Most (almost all) of my games have endings. I spend hours making a giant robot boss for Robot Riot, but no one noticed because they didn't play it long enough. Ghost also has an ending a spent time making, but no one noticed. So does Only You, Zombie Yard, Spy Mouse, Night of the Ninja, etc. But those are just basic games :?

Well, anyway, I think it may be easier to modify the specific game. Consider Return to Fort Knox. I think VIC programs have less predictable locations for variables than Sega games.

Anyway, I would love for someone to make an invincible Gridrunner! :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

English Invader wrote:I was thinking of Arcadia. I rarely get beyond level 4 or 5 and I know that the only way I'll ever get to see all the different enemies is by cheating.
You're getting there. Some levels are much easier than others.
I can easily wrap Arcadia four or five times, once I spend a few games reacclimating myself.