Porting LeMans (C64) to the VIC

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Speaking of fcbpaint, I made a quick shot at converting the screenshot above, here's the result: [...]
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

oh my god !!!

another dream could be true...

I discussed it with Nippur72, Victragic, Rhurst but for some reason we never started this project.

The Mike's mock-up is fantastic but we need to transform the picture to a game... I don't know if it's so easy :?
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Never played Le Mans, but here's a similar game that might offer some extra ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0n6EUAE-FQ
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

oh yes I think that Le Mans was "inspired" by Manaco GP, the coin up, I love this game too of course !!!
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Does Le Mans allow the racer to 'jump', too? I don't play that game, so is there a list of road types, hazards, power-ups, etc., and what is the primary objective -- fuel, timer, race position based?

I am a fan of Speed Racer's Mach 5, but I was never a fan of jumping cars ala Jump-bug or Monaco GP.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

rhurst wrote:Does Le Mans allow the racer to 'jump', too?
No, maybe you remember Bump and Jump.
what is the primary objective -- fuel, timer, race position based?
Take a look to this video for an idea.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Mike wrote: This is a 160x192 screen, 8x8 characters, tile-based display, BUT:

- the yellow roadside, your own car in cyan, and opponent in black are supposed to be foreground,
- within the roadside, and between main display, and scoreboard, the background colour is split in-line (green-blue-green-black), and
- all screen updates need to be done in the remaining raster-lines, ... :shock: but at least that guarantees a flicker-free update. :mrgreen:
Hmm, why use raster-splits and not just multi-color chars on the left (road) and hi-res chars on the right (score)? The VIC can mix those no problem at all, no vertical-raster-split needed. With a sensible color choice there still would be no "bleeding" of the cars into the roadside.

Torsten
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

tokra wrote:With a sensible color choice there still would be no "bleeding" of the cars into the roadside.
Granted, my approach would also lead to colour clashes.

For your own car touching the roadside, EORing the bitmap data is tolerable. The opponent cars avoid the roadside anyway. And if your own cars touches an opponent, this is counted as crash - and I wouldn't care about a colour clash at this point (it could even be used to highlight the impact - similar to how Omega Fury does).
Hmm, why use raster-splits and not just multi-color chars on the left (road) and hi-res chars on the right (score)?
Opting for multi-colour would halve the horizontal resolution of the road display, and cars. As for now, the cars do have distinctive features, multi-colour IMO would reduce them to blobs.

I didn't say my design approach would be an easy feat. It might prove impossible to do. But any lesser goal is just going to add this game to a pile of similar, even less inspired down-scrolling racers which can be put together on two evenings of a weekend. OTOH, ...
rhurst wrote:I am a fan of Speed Racer's Mach 5, but I was never a fan of jumping cars ala Jump-bug or Monaco GP.
... maybe I'm just spoilt by F-Zero MV:

this is Hot Violet, sustained speed 422 km/h, boosted top speed 579 km/h for 6 seconds. Just one fine of 10 different machines in the game (that one with the best paint job, methinks). And who needs wheels? ;)
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

i agree with you mike. . . If a new game has to be done, we should try to push hardware to the limits without making clone of the games already existing (it comes to my mind chariots race). . . Go on with your project maybe it could come out something superb!
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I think that both Clone and enhanced version should be nice :wink:

I consider that a clone is more fascinating but a real vertical scrolling car game without fanciful items (jump, missiles, enemy) could be a good choice.

Something with time level, fuel, car power/models is ok for me and yes if should be a new game it should be a game at least for a VIC+16K or more.