fcbpaint-0.5 (168*192, 8x4 char, inline splits)

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Re: fcbpaint-0.5 (168*192, 8x4 char, inline splits)

Post by Mike »

tlr wrote:HISTORY
-------

fcbpaint V0.5, 2009-11-19
This makes me wonder what other gems are hidden on other people's HDs. :shock:
tlr wrote:Not yet but I'd love people to make some pics using it!
Since the graphics mode used by fcbpaint is a true superset of the one used in MINIPAINT, a converter could serve as useful start point:

Code: Select all

10 REM ** MG2FCB V2
11 :
12 INPUT"MG FILE";S$:INPUT"FCB FILE";T$:DN=PEEK(186):@LOAD(S$),DN:B=PEEK(36879)
13 OPEN2,DN,1,T$:PRINT#2,CHR$(0)CHR$(81)CHR$(70)CHR$(67)CHR$(66)CHR$(0);
14 PRINT#2,CHR$(BAND7)CHR$(BAND7);:FORT=1TO250:PRINT#2,CHR$(0);:NEXT
15 FORY=0TO11:GOSUB21:NEXT:FORT=1TO32:PRINT#2,CHR$(0);:NEXT
16 FORY=12TO23:GOSUB21:NEXT:FORT=1TO32:PRINT#2,CHR$(0);:NEXT
17 GOSUB25:GOSUB25
18 A=PEEK(36878)AND240:FORY=1TO192:PRINT#2,CHR$(A)CHR$(B);
19 FORT=1TO30:PRINT#2,CHR$(0);:NEXT:NEXT:CLOSE2:@RETURN:END
20 :
21 FORX=0TO19:AD=4352+192*X+8*Y
22 FORT=0TO7:PRINT#2,CHR$(PEEK(AD+T));:NEXT
23 NEXT:FORT=0TO7:PRINT#2,CHR$(85);:NEXT:RETURN
24 :
25 FORY=0TO23:AD=37888+20*INT(Y/2)
26 FORX=0TO19:PRINT#2,CHR$(PEEK(AD+X)AND15);:NEXT:PRINT#2,CHR$(8);:NEXT
27 FORT=1TO8:PRINT#2,CHR$(0);:NEXT:RETURN
28 :
29 REM ** MG2FCB V2 WRITTEN 2019-03-02 BY MICHAEL KIRCHER
(download)

As an example, I've converted the Smurf image I recently did in MINIPAINT, and loaded it into fcbpaint:

Greetings,

Michael

Edit: repaired defunct links (again)

Edit 2 (2019-03-02): decommissioned original version of MG2FCB. Link updated, please reload and use only new V2 version!
Last edited by Mike on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: fcbpaint-0.5 (168*192, 8x4 char, inline splits)

Post by tlr »

Mike wrote: Since the graphics mode used by fcbpaint is a true superset of the one used in MINIPAINT, a converter could serve as useful start point:

As an example, I've converted the Smurf image I recently did in MINIPAINT, and loaded it into fcbpaint:
Very useful, nicely done!
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

amazing work, tlr... you're achieving something incredible, even for the "back in the days programmers"!!!!
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

After toying around with fcbpaint a little bit, I found some of those edges, which could be rounded off:

- I'd like a directory display, preferably accessible from the main menu. Running it on VICE I often caught myself using the preview of 'Attach disc image ...', but of course that wouldn't be available on a real VIC-20, ;)

- Starting out from an empty canvas, it would be nice to be able to preset background, border, and auxiliary colour globally; so it isn't necessary to change them on every raster instead,

- In a related matter, being able to copy&paste the splits of a raster line would save a lot of time. In the mock-up screen of LeMans I had to re-do 3 splits, and 4 colour settings on all 192 rasters ...

- More a matter of ergonomy: the hectic cursor blinking is just short of annoying. It would be better if it only blinked at, say, the same rate as the normal text cursor.

- Finally, a quick key reference accessible with a hot key would a very useful addition. I found myself having a text window open to the right of the VICE window just for that reason.

Greetings,

Michael
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

Mike wrote:After toying around with fcbpaint a little bit, I found some of those edges, which could be rounded off:

- I'd like a directory display, preferably accessible from the main menu. Running it on VICE I often caught myself using the preview of 'Attach disc image ...', but of course that wouldn't be available on a real VIC-20, ;)
True. Shouldn't be too hard.
- In a related matter, being able to copy&paste the splits of a raster line would save a lot of time. In the mock-up screen of LeMans I had to re-do 3 splits, and 4 colour settings on all 192 rasters ...

- More a matter of ergonomy: the hectic cursor blinking is just short of annoying. It would be better if it only blinked at, say, the same rate as the normal text cursor.

- Finally, a quick key reference accessible with a hot key would a very useful addition. I found myself having a text window open to the right of the VICE window just for that reason.
Good suggestions, will consider those!
Mike wrote:- Starting out from an empty canvas, it would be nice to be able to preset background, border, and auxiliary colour globally; so it isn't necessary to change them on every raster instead,
This is already possible but undocumented.
If you change colors in the editor, then exit to the menu and initialize the picture it should use the current colors.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Exin has drawn a great picture (a Fire Pokemon?) with fcbpaint.

He noted, that a stand-alone viewer is still missing. Maybe, as alternative, a PC hosted converter could compile the fcb picture into a executable?

A bump also with a question whether there has been some progress with the editor in the meanwhile.

Greetings,

Michael
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Mike wrote:Exin has drawn a great picture (a Fire Pokemon?) with fcbpaint.
It is a very nice picture! But, as a Pokemon expert ;), I can tell you that it is not a Pokemon. Similar to one though.
I'm also interested to hear if there's been any activity with this project.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »