Mattel Aquarius

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Mattel Aquarius

Post by robinsonmason »

Hey all, I picked up a Mattel Aquarius with Mini Expander and some carts on Ebay. More so than even the games (got Tron Deadly Discs, Nightstalker, Astrosmash and Utopia, all complete with keyboard overlays - some new in box) I'm excited to get into using the LOGO cart (was new in shrink wrap!). Next up, I hope to get a recorder and the Aquarius version of Treasure of Tarmin: http://www.vdsteenoven.com/aquarius/dungeon.html

Anyone here have an Aquarius? I only have the carts so far, expect the system ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT ) to arrive in the next couple of days. I find the design and history of this little known computer very intriguing.

There was still a new-in-shrink-wrap LOGO cart on Ebay last I checked, as well as some reasonably priced systems if someone else wants to join the fun.

Edit: 4 left with free shipping! http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEALED-LOGO-198 ... 2eabfc47c8

I think it was well worth it for the thick user's guide even if you just want to enjoy in an emulator - very cool and you get to play around with "programming" on the Aquarius.

Last edited by robinsonmason on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Really amazing shape!

The only experience I have with the Aquarius, is a few years back, when I held our very first vintage computer meet up, in Ottawa.

One of the attendees brought one over.

Hope you have much fun with it!
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

vic user wrote:Really amazing shape!

Hope you have much fun with it!
Thanks vic user! - I also got Nightstalker new in shrinkwrap, haven't opened that one yet. Not much to read I suspect, unlike the beefy spiral book that came with LOGO.

Despite being ports of Intellivision titles, the Aquarius games look quite different - more like a Commodore 16 vs. a 64 due to lack of programmable graphics(?). Nightstalker is sure to play differently, too, as you can't run into walls accidentally --- it almost looks more like one of those tabletop LED Pac Man games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ih4diTHVDI

Treasure of Tarmin also looks quite different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjk9i5w ... re=related Did they add the overhead minimap of the levels for the Aquarius? I only recall a "level map" in the Intellivision version.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Thanks for the Tarmin youtube link!

Wow, that first creature looks pretty cool.

That's right, the original Tarmin game did not have a mini map.

You used one of the top side buttons, to view the castle map, but only of use for the levels that get first displayed on the screen, I think 12 max.

I am really interested in your views on playing Tarmin on the Aquarius.

I am envious you get to play it!

Off to go watch more of Tarmin on youtube :)
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

vic user wrote:Thanks for the Tarmin youtube link!

That's right, the original Tarmin game did not have a mini map.

I am really interested in your views on playing Tarmin on the Aquarius.
Well I haven't been able to find a cartridge for Tarmin yet at auction (I surely will buy it if I do!)...BUT if you want to give it a go, here's an easy to run emulator+ROMs pack that already includes the AD&D Tarmin game as well as a bunch of other Aquarius games!

http://www.reocities.com/emucompboy/

Direct link: http://www.reocities.com/emucompboy/Vaq72a.zip

The graphics (for example, the walls) don't look as "clean" in the emulator as on the real machine as you can tell by comparing to the YouTube vid, and you don't have the benefit of the keyboard overlay (the controls are a bit unusual) but it's a good substitute!

Here's how to play (enjoy!):

At level 1, you begin your invasion in search of the Dragon King, to slay him and claim the treasure. There are 99 levels, each more perilous than the last.
Starting out with 30 Physical points and 15 Spiritual points, a single bow and shield, you have your work cut out for you. The walls and floors are blue, the doors are bright green, and most of the objects on the floor are bright red, at least to begin. Your pack holds six objects, which you may rotate at will. Your hands also hold two more objects, usually a shield and a weapon.

COMMANDS
Below is the table of keyboard commands you'll need to penetrate the maze:
K - Move forward
M - Turn left
; - Glance right
J - Glance left
< - Retreat
> - Turn right
N - Attack
D - Go down ladder/levels
H - Open door
W - Pick up item on floor or put back on floor
S - Rotate pack
R - Select new weapon for your right hand
E - Switch Left and Right hands
Here are the other key commands you'll need to know, concerning game difficulty:
3 - Easy
2 - Medium
1 - Hard
4 - Well nigh impossible
It is strongly recommended that you start with the Easy game, which shifts to a very hard level at level 19, if you can make it even that far. To be sure, even the Easy game will have you fighting for your life.
Unlike the Intellivision Treasure of Tarmin, with its smaller, more compact maze, AQU Tarmin boasts a daunting 11 X 11 labyrinth. Invisible doors and ladders that are tucked away in obscure corners will complicate your journey down.

WHAT YOU'LL FIND IN THE MAZE
A wide variety of objects and guardians are distributed at random.

FOOD

Food Units are scattered throughout the maze. Pick them up wherever you find them. They are crucial to maintaining your game score.

WEAPONS - TYPES

There are four different types of weapons. Only bows and crossbows are reusable.

Bows
Axes
Maces
Crossbows

WEAPONS - COLORS

Each weapon comes in one of four colors.
Red - Regular Power
Yellow - Medium Power
Violet - High Power
White - Super Power

DEFENSE

There are five different defensive objects you can pick up in the maze. As is the case with the weapons, the strength of defensive objects varies according to color.

Small Shields
Large Shields
Rings
Helmets
Breastplates

BOXES

There are two types of boxes. These also come in four colors.

Unlocked Boxes
Locked Boxes

TREASURES
Within the boxes, you will find two types of treasures. The color scheme follows the same pattern as all the other objects, with white accorded the highest value.
Necklaces
Chalices

USEFUL ITEMS

Keys - Red, Yellow, Violet, White. A White key will open any locked box.

POTIONS

Potions have several uses. The physical and spiritual potions turn your scores in these areas different colors, making it harder for the monsters to damage you. Only one potion can be used at a time, so if you take a spiritual potion, you end your physical spell. The reverse is true as well. The large potions, on the other hand, will refresh or increase your scores.
Physical - Turns score red, green, yellow, or blue
Spiritual - Turns score red, green, yellow, or blue

LARGE POTIONS

Red - Refreshes your score after going down during a battle
Yellow - Raises your physical score by 10
Violet - Raises your spiritual score by 6
White - Be careful! This variable potion can either raise or lower your scores.
Additionally, it should be noted that using any of the large potions will take away one of your turns during a battle with a monster.

MAPS

The maps you'll find in boxes can be enormously useful, though they are delicate and will usually vanish after a few uses. There are four kinds of maps.
Red - Shows where you are in the maze
Yellow - Shows both you and the ladder
Blue - Shows you, the ladder, and the monsters
White - Teleports you through the maze safely, avoiding monsters
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Thanks!

And with your instructions, I can just print out your post, and keep it beside my keyboard.

I wonder if the programmers for the Aquarius were involved with the original Tarmin, or were they people just porting over the game?
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

It's a good question -- I found the original manual scans for the game that appear complete. I verified with my Tron Deadly Discs game that they end in the same way and don't list the programmers involved in the first or last pages of the manual: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/ ... 042738356/

Might be easier to look at this for commands: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/ ... 042738356/

I'm a big geek so I took all of the images and put them into a PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/?0y15mowg2gk
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Hooray! Got it all today:

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I like the Night Stalker box art!

Going to have fun looking at the pdf of the Tarmin manual, too.

Tom Loughry was the guy who programmed the original Tarmin game.

On a side note, have you ever seen a pic. of the original version for the Intellivision computer console?

As far as I know, they scrapped that and went with the Aquarius.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Quite a nice collection of Aquarius stuff you have there :D

My only experience with the Aquarius was back in the day I recall a friend purchasing one and inviting me over to take a look.

I had a ZX Spectrum at the time and he still had a ZX-81, after seeing my spectrum he decided he was going to get one too, but somewhere between going to the bank to get the £££ and the computer shop he had a change of heart and got the Aquarius instead.

Still to this day thats the only one I have seen.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I like the Night Stalker box art!
Tempting to leave it in the shrinkwrap since it looks so nice, but I've always been about enjoying - so I'll need to keep it well protected - you can't tell from the photo but the Utopia cart box took a real beating.
On a side note, have you ever seen a pic. of the original version for the Intellivision computer console?
I'd only heard of it, never saw it. Looks very cool, if a bit oversized. I would have designed it without the top half of the surround, and allow the keyboard to be used off of a telephone type spiral cord like the controllers. That way you could store the unit on a desk shelf - there's no reason to have your hands all over an Intellivision anyway. I have a copy of Intellivision Lives! for the PS2, and used to have a PC disk as well, and there was a lot of cool Intellivision history like that on both.
after seeing my spectrum he decided he was going to get one too, but somewhere between going to the bank to get the £££ and the computer shop he had a change of heart and got the Aquarius instead.
I didn't have the money to collect multiple systems back then, so I'm sure I would have been disappointed by the relative lack of software for and short market life of the Aquarius. But for today it's a neat system to own with just enough programs to make it worth having.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

ooh, Astrosmash!

Just noticed you got that one.

I don't know how it plays on the Aquarius, but I find it is one of those simple, addictive, games for the Intelli.

Based on the condition of your system, it must still have quite a bit of life in it, and I hope you get to use it for a long time.

How is the LOGO software?

A current, kids review would be interesting.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

King Trode;

I wonder what made your friend decide to get the Aquarius?

Based on what I know, the Spectrum was really popular where you are.

Was it the price? Flashy box art? What it included?
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

vic user wrote:King Trode;

I wonder what made your friend decide to get the Aquarius?

Based on what I know, the Spectrum was really popular where you are.

Was it the price? Flashy box art? What it included?
It was such along time ago and hard to recall, pretty sure his decision was all of the above (though I don't recall how much £££ he spent), as he did have quite a few bits and pieces for it on day one.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I had a chance to try out the LOGO software last night. Really neat. Very simple and easy to follow so far, and the cool thing is that you can see the results of your "program" instructions up on the screen immediately. I look forward to doing more. Later in the book it recommends a data recorder to save programs, so if I see one for a good price I'll probably pick it up.

My RF modulators are cruddy - one is near unusable the other OK but still not as clean as I'd like, I need to get a new one it seems. Tried Astrosmash and Tron Deadly Discs, too -- I like the Tron one!