Maze game not on the list.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

vyssen
Vic 20 Newbie

Maze game not on the list.

Post by vyssen »

Hi everyone.

I just checked a list on this forum listing all games for the VIC-20, and found that none of the maze games listed required extra memory to run.

However, I remember playing a maze game on my VIC back in the day, which took forever to load, even by VIC standards, and which required some extra memory ( A lot I think actually ).

The game required you to first input the desired dimensions of your labyrinth, and then you had to find your way through a randomly ( I think) generated maze in 1 person view sporting vector style 3-d graphics. Does this ring a bell to any of you?

Basically I am just curious if I have something to contribute to the collections of old VIC-20 software people are compiling.

-Vyssen
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Caves of Ice from Compute magazine was like that I think. It used the predefined set and required an 8k expansion to run. It made a maze with multiple floors. It would run on either the Vic or 64. I thought it was very cool on the Vic and not the 64 because of the way Commodore defined the diagonal line on the 64.
Rob
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I have Caves of Ice in GB20, but listed with +3k RAM not +8k. Has anyone got the original listing from Compute? I don't have a year, publisher or programmer listed against it yet...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

If the game is from a Compute! magazine, it was most likely coded in Basic which explains why it took such a long time to load.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

"Program 1 is Caves of Ice for the VIC (with 8K or more expansion memory) and 64." That's a quote from the article itself in Compute Sept '83. Though I haven't a copy of the program file. It was originally written for the Apple by Robert Tsuk called "QuintiMaze". Later It was converted to the Vic and 64 by Marvin Bunker. There is also a version for the PET in this article and various other unmentionable computers. :D
Rob
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yep, that's the one in question, cheers :)
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Mayhem wrote:Yep, that's the one in question, cheers :)
But.... this is for unexpanded VIC. Perhaps same name different progs.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Huh?
Rob
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

GreyGhost wrote:Huh?
vyssen asking for a caves program than, as they remember, need lots of memory. The Cave Ice program listed, at least apparently, only need 3k for work. I think that, perhaps vyssen asking for another program.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Ok, sorry. I don't remember talking about any unexpanded program in this thread. But anyways, I also remember another maze program for the Vic called "Cave In" where you ran around a 3-D maze looking for trapped miners within a time limit. This one is for the the unexpanded Vic. It was in Compute's Gazette. I'm off to church, so I'll Look it up later.
Rob
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The listing states +8k RAM for Caves of Ice, so I have actually changed the setup in GB20 to accommodate this apparent stipulation. Although it did appear to work fine with just +3k.

As for Cave In, I have an entry for it in GB20 but no typed up version to play...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I know I'm just throwing stuff out there, but It wasn't really specified what memory it needed, and what it was loaded from. As we all know a tape game, even the little ones, seem like an eternity to load at the time when you are sitting there waiting. He may be referring to OlDorf Castle. That one would take "a lot of extra memory" and take a millennium to load.

A quick scan of Compute's Gazette archive I have located 2 vector type maze games.

Cave-In - June '84 <--Not in GB20
3D Labrynth - Dec. '84 <--Already in GB20(though it appears it was typed in for the 64, some of the wall lines are fat. hehe
Rob
vyssen
Vic 20 Newbie

RE: Maze Game

Post by vyssen »

Well, my maze game was nothing like this ice-cave game. Instead of having doors, like on the screenshots posted, the wall would just turn, and continue along a new corridor. If that makes sense? I remember the lines comprising the labyrinth as being green.

Also, there were no different levels in the labyrinth. However, you had to enter the labyrinth from a platform on the outside, and if you walked outside this platform the game told you that you died because you fell over the edge of the world.