PRG Starter (v2.4.6)

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Cool! Thankyou very much! This program has quickly become an essential part of my Commodore emulation experience. It's like all genius things - this should've been made a long time ago and it's a really simple idea but it took a genius to think of it and implement it! :)

It really should be a part of the Vice package. And stickied here at Denial!!

EDIT: Just as an FYI Boray: There's a thread regarding a cart image in PRG format of Ms Pacman. The image doesn't load with PRG Starter... :)

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4375
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks Pedro! :D
Pedro Lambrini wrote:EDIT: Just as an FYI Boray: There's a thread regarding a cart image in PRG format of Ms Pacman. The image doesn't load with PRG Starter... :)

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4375
Yes it does if you follow the instructions:

(from V1.2 release notes here http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/ )
"* Memory settings changes to make it easier to start dual cartridge files for Vic-20. Do like this: Double click the non-A000 part. Then drag and drop the A000 part into the VICE window. Press Alt-R to start. "
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A little tip:

If someone wants to try PRG Starter without making the file type associations, then you can just drag and drop files on PRG Starter's program icon. That has the same effect as double clicking a file.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

V1.4 - 14/4 2010

Main news: .D71, .D81 and .T64 support, file associations setup and new global overrides.

* PRG Starter now supports .D71, .D81 and .T64 files.

* With disk images, the whole directory is now scanned. Before, only the fist 8 entries were scanned.

* The "Set VICE path" button was replaced with a "Setup" button to both associate filetypes and set the VICE path. As the number of supported file types has grown since the first release (that only supported .prg files), I thought it was time to make the setup easier. (Windows only)

* New global overrides. You can now force a file to be opened with any emulator by renaming the file and putting any of the following keywords in the filename: (c64), (c128), (plus4), (pet), (cbm2), (vic_all) = Vic20 with ram in all memory blocks, (vic_none) = Unexpanded Vic20, (vic_3k) = Vic20 with 3k expansion, (Vic) = Vic-20 with automatic memory configuration. Only use the overrides when you find a file that doesn't open with the right emulator and when the Change button doesn't appear or help. This is mostly useful for files with strange starting addresses, for example autostarting files.

* Additional VICE options. You can now put additional VICE options inside {}-brackets in the filename to add these options to VICE. This is useful in case a file needs special features in VICE that you normally don't have in your VICE settings. Many demo disks need true drive emulation for example, for which you can add {-truedrive} in the filename. For example: bible1{-truedrive}.d81

* The time measurements are now much more accurate. It now measures in milliseconds instead of hundredth of a second. On my computer, PRG Starter analyzes most files in just one millisecond. That is... FAST!

* Adjustments for autostarting C64 and Plus/4 D64 images.

* Changed colors and design.

* Some other fine tunings to the program.

* Big changes to the web based documentation: http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/

PRG starter is now 62kb in size. That is exacly twice as much as the first release.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Wow! That's some improvement list. Downloading right now. :)

Thanks for all your work. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

V1.4.1 - 15/4 2010 (Minor update)

* Added support to display Vic-20 Minipaint pictures.

* Added support for .D41 files (Which is the same thing as D64)
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Just started using PRG Starter, very handy utility indeed - saves so much messing around 10/10 :D
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

You're updating it faster than I can download and install it! :lol:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

ral-clan wrote:You're updating it faster than I can download and install it! :lol:
Yes, Mike asked if I could add support for Minipaint just after I released V1.4 so that's the reason for the extra update.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Boray wrote:Yes, Mike asked if I could add support for Minipaint just after I released V1.4 so that's the reason for the extra update.
Thank you very much for including support for the MG picture format! :D

It works like a charm ... PRG Starter now has a permanent home in my VICE directory, and I've put a link to it on the desktop. :)

Cheers,

Michael
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Did anyone prefer the old colors?
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Boray wrote:Did anyone prefer the old colors?
I liked the old colours but I think the slightly more subtle shades work better on my desktop. :)

PS: Thanks for the Minipaint support.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Did the new file association setup work for everyone?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

There has now been 72 downloads, but that is for all releases in total, and there has been 4 major releases. So an estimate would be maybe around 72/4 = 18 users.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

But 18 very happy users! :)