PRG Starter (v2.4.6)

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

By the way, the Windows icon used for the program (and all prg and p00 files) was actually scanned from a real vic-20! (European two prong model)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Just downloaded the new version, but it doesn't work - I double-click on it and then this error message appears (well, in Italian, but I roughly translate it):
Application not correctly initialized (0xc0000135). Click OK to close application.
:?:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

What? Did the old version work on the same computer?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If it was on the same computer, then wait for a while to install .NET I will send you a couple of test versions to see if any of them starts.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Boray wrote:Did you get it to work, Mayhem?
Not tried it yet... not got another PRG that needs ,8,1 just yet...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

orion70, Sent you three test version (and hope that your email service doesn't class all exe files as harmful dangerous emails).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you very much Boray. The old version didn't work on the same machine (my PC at work, Win XP SP1). I'm currently using a Linux netbook (away from home for the weekend), so I'll test the files you sent me as soon as I get back to work on Monday.

Hope they will work, as I'm not sure my sysadmin will ever let me install stuff on the PC :? .
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If the old version didn't work on the same machine, then there is no meaning in trying the the test versions I sent you so you can just delete those. From what I understand, you need to either have Windows XP SP2 or to install to .NET framework manually. I didn't know what Windows versions it would run on. I will write this on the download page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:cry: This means I'll have to discuss with the IT crew next Monday! Of course, I'll tell them a lie about the reason why I want .NET FW installed :wink: .
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Great idea! I tried it - it worked for 1 out of 3 games on Vice 2.2 x64 as follows:

Creepy Corridors - WORKS (though it comes up in Warp Mode and you have to turn WM off to play)

uber-leet.com_Vic_20--VIC 1939 Star Post-A000 - FAIL with corrupted graphics but some activity / sound

Night Forest, the (Y)(Your Computer) (8K) - FAIL

Not sure if this is something with my settings or PRG starter.

I think I DL'd these from some site with VIC-20 files, so perhaps these would work if they were from the VIC-20 V02 pack Sjakie and Mayhem put together.

If the tool is only meant to work with specific filenames found in the vic20_v02.rar , for example, then that should probably be included in the instructions.

If I can clear up my problems I'll be more than happy to blog about it and encourage others to use it. :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks for the test. PRG Starter doesn't touch the warp mode so that must have been your VICE setting.

I sent you an email now. Please send the two programs that didn't work to me so I can try them out.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Found the files.

uber-leet.com_Vic_20--VIC 1939 Star Post-A000.prg:

This file is not a working cartridge file. Try to attach it manually in VICE and you will see exactly the same result.

Night Forest, the (Y)(Your Computer) (8K).prg:

The file name is not allowed in VICE. Rename it and remove the "," and it will work just fine.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Before anyone else posts a bug report, then please try to start the file manually in VICE first. If it doesn't work, then send the bug report to the VICE team instead. ;) If you manage to start it with either cartridge attach or "autostart disk/tape image" in VICE but not with PRG Starter, then you are welcome to report the bug to me.

PRG Starter actually overrides a VICE bug. Try to manually attach a 4K cartridge file at $A000 in VICE 2.2. Then try doublecklicking it to start with PRG Starter instead...
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Thanks Boray!

I played some Star Post last night, so I must have loaded another file from vic20_v02 as I've since DL'd the big pack and am no longer doing single downloads of files on various sites like that (well, except for the Denial originals!). I'll have to do a purge of bad files and stick with the big pack in v02.

Certainly you're not responsible for hinky files I pulled from the interwebs. :P