PRG Starter (v2.4.6)

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

ral-clan wrote:Here's some wierd behaviour: When I start certain PET .prg files (blitz.prg for example) your loader program starts it up in BOTH PET and VIC-20 emulators simultaneously! :shock: I have two emulators running on the screen at the same time (of course the program doesn't work in the VIC).
That is on purpose, because there is no way of knowing if it's a PET program or a Vic-20 + 3K program. (Look what PRG Info says about the identification of the program.) I thought it could just open both and then you can just close the one that was wrong...
ral-clan wrote:Other PET games ("polezei.prg") for instance will start up in VIC-20 mode and not in the proper PET mode.
Where would I find that program? You are welcome to send it to me.

Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

ral-clan wrote: Other PET games ("polezei.prg") for instance will start up in VIC-20 mode and not in the proper PET mode.
Tried to reply to your email but got this error message:
"Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.ca account"

Anyway... The file you sent me wasn't really a prg file, it was a p00 file renamed to prg. So just rename it back to polezei.p00 and it will work.

Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Okay thanks. Sorry about that.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I'm happy for all problem reports, so thanks!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Well, PRG_starter is now a permanent part of my VICE setup.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

It's a simple, yet very useful idea ... I got to double-click my way through dozens of Plus/4 games in an archive I never would have bothered to take the time to LOAD before. But double-click from the native filesystem and have the game boot up instantly, that's v-e-r-y convenient.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I noticed that with VICE2.2 I can also drag and drop programs onto the VIC screen. Is this a new feature or was it always present?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's not new in 2.2 anyway. I have used that feature for a long time.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

V1.2 is released:
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/prgstarter/

V1.2 - 17/3 2010:

* It's now possible to change the starting address of programs that have a $XX01 starting address. (All normal program ram spaces ends with $01). If this is the case, a "Change" button will appear. So if it's obvious that's the wrong emulator is used for a file, you can now change it to the right one. Some programs do have the wrong starting address if for example someone have loaded and saved a program with a computer that it wasn't made for. In the change address dialog, some choices will be shadowed and unavailable when it's not possible or unwise to save as those types.

* The file identification was fine tuned and expanded. For computers that share the same starting address (PET / VIC+3K and VIC / Plus4 / C16 ), not only the file size is looked at, but the file contents (and name) are now scanned for different things. And from this, a machine score is calculated. This also makes it possible for you to add the words PET, VIC, PLUS4 or C16 to the filename to add to the score in case that the wrong emulator is opened for a file.

* Memory settings changes to make it easier to start dual cartridge files for Vic-20. Do like this: Double click the non-A000 part. Then drag and drop the A000 part into the VICE window. Press Alt-R to start.

* The popup window now always opens in position (10,10) of the screen (upper left corner), which means that you can save VICE's settings so that both windows always will open beside each other.

* A counting down message is now shown in the pop up window. To prevent the window from closing, click on the message. The counting down will also stop if you press any of the buttons.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Sounds great! I'll download this as soon as I can get to a real computer. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Quick question... would I be able to use this program to change a PRG that boots via ,8 into one that needed ,8,1? I ask this because GB20 only boots via ,8,1 and so I have to load and resave out PRGs that don't comply with this...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Yes, that is what the new change button is for.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Great... now to figure out what I need to do in the program in order to <Picard> make it so </Picard>...! :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Did you get it to work, Mayhem?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If anyone want to compile rhurst's Linux version on a Mac and give me a Mac executable to put on my page, then you are welcome to do so!