Problem with my Final Expansion (FE3)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

Diddl wrote:Normally there is no need to update to 0.9x, cause most changes are only REL files concerned.
Sure, if you like broken swap lists you can stay on 0.9.0...
FE3 has a normal SD2IEC hardware, so it is no problem of FE3 but from SD2IEC firmware maybe. Hope it is solved at 0.9.2
The only influence sd2iec has over the bootloader is the version code that's in the binary. There is nothing that I could change in a 0.9.2 release that would fix those flashing troubles.
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

nbla000 wrote:Maybe that it is the correct behaviour since now there should be a newer firmare (0.9.1) and in this case I need to wait a 0.9.2 version but there is an "emergency" firmware that will be always flashed from any version ?
That hypothesis is correct, the bootloader won't "up"grade to an older version. Grab http://www.sd2iec.de/Obsolete%20version ... naries.zip and use the binary from there, that one has an internal version number of 0 which is special-cased in the bootloader - it'll always flash a 0-versioned file unless the CRC in the file matches the CRC in the chip (to avoid reflashing the same file during every power cycle). Since 0 is smaller than any other version code you should be able to upgrade to any other version from that.
Maybe that the current firmware is totally corrupted and it is not able to autoupdate firmware.... so I need an ISP programmer
In theory the bootloader shouldn't be able to overwrite itself - but I didn't write it, so I won't vouch for the accuracy of that theory.
the green led of the SD drive still remain fixed ON.
Green on is interesting... The bootloader should turn on red while it runs, if green is solid after that the main firmware may have been corrupted while flashing.
In the sd2iec firmware page there is a bootloader subfolder with zip files with various things may I use some hex files to revitalize the internal drive...
Some day I'll rewrite that boot loader to be more compatible and more paranoid...
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Vic20-Ian wrote:
Diddl wrote:Did you make this 0.9.1 update? Did it work for your FE3?
No I haven't seen a need to upgrade it yet. Let me know if you want me to. I have time tomorrow.
No please don't until we know exactly the problem.

Excepting you have an ISP programmer able to flash directly without the bootloader.

I have lend my FE3 so in the moment I cannot really test it. But I will get back it soon ...

@unseen
thanks for your help

@nbla000
Please test version 0 file from sd2iec page. Could you report if it is successful or not?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

OK, Version 0 restored a working bootloader. :D

Thank you very much Unseen.

This time I've used the 2GB SD Verbatim card and I was able to restore the bootloader with "version 0" and reflash the latest 0.9.1 version.

Since I'm "headstrong", I will restore the bootloader with version 0 from the 2GB SD card then from the 512MB A-Data card I will reflash the 0.9.0 then the 0.9.1 to check if the problem occurs again.

This evening I will report you results.

Btw I've used the 512MB A-Data to update the external SD2IEC drive from 0.9.0 to 0.9.1 without problems....

wip
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I've restored the "0" version with the 2GB SD-Card then tried to reflash the 0.9.0 version with the 512MB SD-Card with same problems.

Btw by using the 512MB card from uIEC, I've noticed a strange 65535 DEL file, I've restored the "0" version again then i've formatted the 512MB SD-Card and directly flashed the 0.9.1 version without problems.

I assume the problems was the strange big DEL file even if from windows the file is not present.

That's all folks ;-)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Thanks for this information nbla000. So we don't have to write a warning, not to update FE3 - µIEc part.

Most important thing is, if problems occur, it is possible to reflash without ISP programmer. :)

Yesterday I also tested 0.9.1 successfully with my FE3. After successful update I made a downgrade and tried an update again with interrupt the flashing. It was no problem.

Bootloader update seems to be very stable.
Unseen
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Unseen »

nbla000 wrote:Btw by using the 512MB card from uIEC, I've noticed a strange 65535 DEL file
Interesting... In theory the readdir for FAT should not be able to generate DEL entries at all and looking at the code I can't spot any missed execution path that would result in a DEL entry. Was it starred (*DEL) and/or locked (DEL<)? What did the name look like?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Unseen wrote:Interesting... In theory the readdir for FAT should not be able to generate DEL entries at all and looking at the code I can't spot any missed execution path that would result in a DEL entry. Was it starred (*DEL) and/or locked (DEL<)? What did the name look like?
I'm sorry but I don't remember if * or < but the name was a deleted firmware file (for SD2IEC or uIEC) with loooong name, as said, I've reformatted the 512MB SD-Card for 0.9.1 FE3 firmware re-flash.