New Gameboy reminds me of Iphone

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New Gameboy reminds me of Iphone

Post by Jeff-20 »

Has anyone seen the new Nintendo Gameboy XL? It has a distinct tablet feel with it's full size pen. It makes me think Nintendo is going for the young game players with an approach similar to iphone to the adults. It's a freaking netbook! It's also pretty soon for an update to the DSi.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4fnUYnf ... r_embedded

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I though that one of the main reasons for the larger screen was to make it easier for older people to read.

Looking at my DSlite I can see how people with vision problems might have trouble playing Sudoko on it.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Richard James wrote:I though that one of the main reasons for the larger screen was to make it easier for older people to read.
That was my understanding as well. I like my DS Lite but I find it difficult and uncomfortable to use because of its size and staring at the tiny screens always results in eye strain. The DSi XL looks like it may solve those problems but I still don't think I'll be buying one though. The only handheld I care about right now is the Pandora.

Edit: Will the same linkers work in the DSi XL as the DS Lite? I know they work with the DSi but Nintendo is forever trying to lock these things out.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

. . . And the Dingoo is tempting, but honestly, I feel perfectly happy with my GBA SP and a flash cart. It feels sturdy and comfortable in the hands. Even seems more reliable to take on trips. Combined with the iphone and emulators for GBA, I feel like all my handheld needs are met.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Truth be told, the handhelds I've spent the most time playing with and enjoyed the most were Palms/Clies. My Palm TX is on the fritz right now and it's bumming me out. I'm debating whether I should spend the money to get a new digitizer or buy a Nokia N810 to run the emulator.

I know it will never happen but my dream is that I could run Palm software on the iPhone. That would be fantastic.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

DopeWars was never as good on any system as it was on my cheapo Palm z22. I just don't feel like charging it up for one game. I wish there could be a version on the iphone, but it probably wouldn't pass Apple's rules.

*I'm aware of the online version, but it doesn't feel the same.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

There must be a sanitized version for the iPhone. I remember a few versions where the theme was changed but everything else was the same. I found myself with a little addiction to a version called SolarWars which was sort of a DopeWars meets Space Empire Elite hybrid.

Ever thought about doing a VIC-20 version of DopeWars? :)