Dead VIC chip?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

maguman
Vic 20 Newbie

Dead VIC chip?

Post by maguman »

Hi

I have just tried to use an older style VIC-20 after a few years of relative inaction. When first plugged in, I got a standard screen border but no text. Next, this reverted to a partial screen checkerboard of random characters and some random noise. Now no picture at all - just a back screen.

My immediate reaction, since both screen and (initially) sound went wrong was the VIC. Has anyone seen something similar and/or do you have any better ideas of the problem? Appreciate any help I can get.

I plan to hunt around for another 6561 anyway...
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Doesn't sound good. Sounds like character rom first then maybe the Vic to me.

I would get the PSU checked out before plugging it into another Vic20.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
maguman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by maguman »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Doesn't sound good. Sounds like character rom first then maybe the Vic to me.

I would get the PSU checked out before plugging it into another Vic20.
I thought about the PSU. It is the older two prong type. These are meant to be 9V AC. I checked the one I have and it is reading a solid 10.6V AC on a multimeter. I thought less than 12V AC would be fine. Is this likely to be the cause?
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Same thing happened to me. I thought it was the Character rom but that wasn't it. Sombody else on Denial diagnosed it as a possible RAM problem. One of the ram chips is likely bad and needs to be replaced. Good luck.

Barney
maguman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by maguman »

Barney wrote:Same thing happened to me. I thought it was the Character rom but that wasn't it. Sombody else on Denial diagnosed it as a possible RAM problem. One of the ram chips is likely bad and needs to be replaced. Good luck.

Barney
I think I secretly hoped it wasn't a RAM problem but a socketed chip. Finding a known working PAL VIC will probably take a while to eliminate that potential problem.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Power it up a few minutes and touch the ram chips, the failed one may be hotter than the others - from a previous diagnosis this worked for me.

You might find ram chips on ebay.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
maguman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by maguman »

After pulling it apart, and picking up a second VIC, I managed to find a dead BASIC ROM. Switched it out - came up pretty quickly.

Seemed a bit odd (to me) for a dead BASIC ROM to produce this set of effects, but that was the cause.

Thanks for all the help.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Now you got me a little excited maguman. Maybe my Vic doesn't have a ram problem. Maybe it's a ROM issue. Anybody out there have any spare ROMS? If you do, how much? Thanks.

Barney
maguman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by maguman »

There seem to be some places on line that have them, such as the following:

http://www.arcadecomponents.com/customroms.html

I thought $4.99 was pretty reasonable.

The real tell-tale was how hot the ROM became - very hot after 5 minutes. That wasn't enough, though. It was actually hotter than the VIC chip (a pretty big effort for a ROM). Funnily enough, I had checked the temp on all the other chips (besides the ROMs) previously, so I never spotted it.