USB Sticks on the Vic

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

USB Sticks on the Vic

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I recently ordered a USB joystick from Legacy the other day and I eagerly await delivery. It got me thinking, though, about an adapter to use USB sticks on the Vic hardware as I'd ideally like to use the same stick during emulation and on the real hardware. I already have a Stella Adaptor so that I can use older 9 pin sticks on the PC and I thought: "What would happen if I reversed the sexes of the connectors?"...

How feasible is it to just buy a couple of sex changers and use the Stella Adaptor to connect a USB stick to the Vic? I presume it's not possible due to circuitry etc but I'd stick the idea out there. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

I actually use SD cards and my uIEC for this purpose because my notebook has a built-in SD Card reader. Simply remove my SD card from my uIEC and plug it into my computer then I open the same images in my emulator. It's just about the same as using a USB stick.

I guess the big difference comes if you have to plug the card into a reader that is external to your system. Too many gadgets hanging off your computers can make things a big mess.

Good luck!

Heather
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I would assume the Stella Adaptor does not support USB input. The two kinds of connectors are quite different in function so it is far from a passive pin converter. Frankly I would look up its function and ask the inventor/manufacturer before I tried. While probably nothing will happen, I suppose you also don't want to ruin your adaptor.

As for other means of interfacing USB, it has been discussed elsewhere. There exists some custom micro controllers which are considered highly suitable for a such application. Still you would need some driver software on the VIC end on how to deal with various kinds of USB devices. I know the BBC Micro Datacentre by Retro Clinic has USB input and a few devices are also already supported.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Pedro is talking about a USB joystick being converted back to CBM standard interface.

It would need some way to power the usb circuitry then decode and push out to pins using some logic.

It is feasible but would probably be too expensive and easier to just graft a 9pin plug and cable onto the existing switches and do it in hardware. i.e. have existing usb cable for pc and a second cable for cbm.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

It is not (easily) possible to connect your USB joystick to your VIC.

But within the joystick there are 5 or 6 switch and a USB adapter PCB. Remove the PCB and wire a new cable to your VIC, I have done it and it works perfectly.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think Ben Hack (of course!) has done the opposite. He took out a PS* controller from some GH guitar or so and inserted into an old Atari 2600 joystick to make it compatible with the console. In Pedro's case, Ian's idea to wire up an old style joystick cable next to the USB cable seems the best solution, in particular now when he is getting a qualified soldering station and needs something to practise on. :-D
Anders Carlsson

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I remember reading something on an Atari ST forum about how they had managed to make an adaptor to use modern PC mouses on the Atari ST or the Amiga.

I'm not sure if they were talking USB or the old ones from the mid/late 90s, but I'll try and look up the thread. If it can be done for a mouse, it seems logical to assume that it could be done for a gamepad.
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Here is a USB cartridge for the Atari 8 bit machines..

http://www.atarimax.com/usbcart/documentation/

The main problem is writing drivers for different USB devices. There is a program to dump bytes received to help driver developers.

Now all we need is for Jim Brain to build an adapter to connect ATARI cartridges to the VIC-20!!! ;-) If the C64 to VIC adapter was called the Mascuerade, imagine what an Atari version could be called... Perhaps the "Hide Your Head in Shame" adapter :lol:

Steve
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Pedro is talking about a USB joystick being converted back to CBM standard interface.
Ahh! Thanks for clearing that up. Don't I feel silly. :)

Heather
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

SkydivinGirl wrote:
Vic20-Ian wrote:Pedro is talking about a USB joystick being converted back to CBM standard interface.
Ahh! Thanks for clearing that up. Don't I feel silly. :)

Heather
Thanks for trying anyway! :P

I knew it wouldn't be as simple as a couple of adapters. I forgot all about the USB stuff needing power in my excitement! I think I'll probably take Ians advice and Carlssons encouragement ;). Wiring another cable on to the stick isn't quite as elegant a solution but it is some soldering practice... :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

You could buy a Competition Pro Retro and a Competition Pro USB to trick yourself.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

English: There is an open source project on how to build your own 1351 compatible interface too, primarily using a PS/2 mouse but with an adapter I think it will accept USB mice too. However I'm unsure if and to what point a VIC-20 can use a C= 1351 mouse so it might border to off-topicness.
Anders Carlsson