Some Vic's are much hotter than others!!!!

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Some Vic's are much hotter than others!!!!

Post by Barney »

I just bought a VIC 20 recently. It is a different model than my others. This one has a huge black looking heat sync on the right side of the motherboard. I noticed that while this puppy is turned on, this heat sync gets rather hot. In addition it, all the other chips on the motherboard get noticibly hot also. Has anybody out there noticed this on this particular model?

Barney
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Don't all 9VAC two-prong VIC's have this huge heat sink? The later DIN-style VIC-20CR looks different.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I believe the difference between the CR (DIN) models and the 2 prong models, may be that the 2 prong has part of the power supply, in the VIC20 case. Thus the need for the heatsink inside the case. Because the 2 prong only supplies 9V but the VIC20 requires 9V & 5V.

The wiki article on this is not very clear.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Does anybody know if it's necessary to install heatsinks on each chip to help cool them down?

Barney
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Eslapion recommended putting a heat sink on the video chip, which I think is a good idea. My Vic is like yours. I cut a hole in the RF shield lid over the VIC chip to accommodate one of Eslapion's heat sinks:

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Without these modifications, the color yellow turns grey on this computer:

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I probably overdid it on the following computer, but I had resoldered the power regulator so many times that the metal began to go bad on the motherboard.

I suspect that some of these troubles comes from the fact that they have increased the power voltage here from 220v to 230-240v...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I also think that heat was something of a design fault in the 2-prong model and that this was the one of the reasons why they made the CR model...
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I'm guessing they wanted to build the power supply entirely within the Vic 20 itself, to make it more like an appliance. I would imagine that a part of the power supply was moved outside of the Vic to help with overheating issues.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A funny thing is that the things left in the vic-20 seems to get a lot hotter than the PSU :-)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Boray wrote:I also think that heat was something of a design fault in the 2-prong model and that this was the one of the reasons why they made the CR model...
I have to admit mine has been fine since I got it from my brother's girlfriend years back. Although yeah, it does seem to get hotter than the C64...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I have 5 working Vics 2 of which are the older 9v versions. Although they do get hotter than the 3 CR versions I find them both to be more stable and have better composite video and audio output. All in all, I think they're the better machine. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I have 5 working Vics 2 of which are the older 9v versions. Although they do get hotter than the 3 CR versions I find them both to be more stable and have better composite video and audio output. All in all, I think they're the better machine. :)
I second this. I only buy two-prong VIC-20s now.

It also helps with the overheating if you remove the cardboard from inside the VIC.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

That is a very interresting observation about the 2 prong vics having a better composite video sinal. I tested that out myself and I agree with you.

From my observation, I tend to find that the Cost reducted VICs look better on a color TV Set than the 2 prong VICs.

Barney
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Throw the S-video mod into the mix and it isn't even close.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.