My New Project

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I want you for US-Art :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

carlsson wrote:$10 is what, a Big Mac meal with extras? I think you have no problem at all to sell 30-40 copies of something for $10 each.
$10 works out at £6.02 British pounds. This is slightly more than a large Big Mac meal, but for a couple of quid extra you can go to the all-you-can-eat buffet at Pizza Hut and get unlimited pizza, salad, pasta and Pepsi refills :wink: .
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really wanted to make it a holiday gift (free), but somehow, things got out of hand and it's costing more than my last gift.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I'm interested, and $10 is doable.
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

English Invader wrote:
$10 works out at £6.02 British pounds. This is slightly more than a large Big Mac meal, but for a couple of quid extra you can go to the all-you-can-eat buffet at Pizza Hut and get unlimited pizza, salad, pasta and Pepsi refills Wink
You made me go back in time to year 2000 when I attended an english school in Brighton: Pizza Hut was a great discover, cheap and very tasty (even if not as much as cod & chips)!!! Anyway, yes I could be interested in this project but I only have a datasette at the moment, no 154x disk drive... (in case the game is distributed on a disk)
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Hey Jeff. Any more info on your project? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

85% done.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

0%. Always back up your work. The ueic led me into a false sense of security. I made huge progress in the last week (without backing up copies) and lost it all tonight. For some reason, it loads some files, but not the ones I need. When I move the SD card to the laptop, these files even crash VICE (producing a Load error at a nonsensical address). The files show the right Kb and even take the appropriate load time on a real vic, but produce nothing. It even takes the right amount of memory when I do a FRE(), but no program comes (just all zeros where a program should be -- i confirmed this by opening the programs on a pc in notepad). I had a feeling I should've been backing up to floppy disks.

It's late. I give up. It was a great idea, but even the drafts are corrupted and won't load. The data on that SD was so important, I can't believe I didn't have a backup.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Jeff-20 wrote: I had a feeling I should've been backing up to floppy disks.
That's why I love my 1541.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Yeah, I should have stuck with what worked. I lost literally dozens of programs in what would have been the greatest time investment I've ever put into a VIC project. It would be impossible to recreate it. Lesson: Always take quality over convenience.

I think I'm going to take a break from the VIC and Denial for a little while.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I'm sorry man. That's really, really crap. I blame corruption on the SD card. It's happened to me a few times on different equipment...Still, it sucks... :(
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

FYI: I just noticed the tiny wires of the uiec finally came apart. It moved about a few times as papers were shuffled around my VIC and eventually a few wires broke off the microscopic bit of solder holding them on. My theory is that this happened during some sensitive moment in reading/writing information.

Is it just me or is that thing terribly delicate? The soldering is impressive but too fragile for my use. I could barely touch the thing. I think it was the vibration of my typing that finally pulled a few wires off. I didn't want to mount it internally because i had hoped to use it on more than one computer, but once it was plugged in there was no removing it. Anyway, if anyone can make a better cable for the thing, I may be able to salvage the device for trade.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that, Jeff.

Are you sure it's ALL zeroes? There might be something recoverable.

I agree, the uIEC is rather fragile. I was thinking about making a little box for it, painted and decorated like a tiny 1541. The hard bit would be making the cables sturdy. Probably never happen :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

I recently bought a uIEC/SD. I'm awaiting delivery as we speak.

My intention is to use it as a means of transferring files from my laptop to the VIC and vice versa. I never really thought of it as a viable storage device. I'm a creature of habit and I would almost feel naked without my disk drive.

At this point, I don't do much programming beyond type-in-programs so my needs are probably very different to yours.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Jeff-20 wrote:FYI: I just noticed the tiny wires of the uiec finally came apart. It moved about a few times as papers were shuffled around my VIC and eventually a few wires broke off the microscopic bit of solder holding them on. My theory is that this happened during some sensitive moment in reading/writing information.
Egad, I'm so sorry this happened. Yes, the wire pigtail proved to be non-robust, so I now use a PCB with a regular IEC cable. Here is a picture: http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/uIEC/uIEC_SD . I have had no issues with the redesign. I'm happy to ship the better design to you for your use.

Is it just me or is that thing terribly delicate? The soldering is impressive but too fragile for my use. I could barely touch the thing. I think it was the vibration of my typing that finally pulled a few wires off. I didn't want to mount it internally because i had hoped to use it on more than one computer, but once it was plugged in there was no removing it. Anyway, if anyone can make a better cable for the thing, I may be able to salvage the device for trade.
Well, I would not write it off yet. I suspect the data is still on the card, we just need to image it and get it back. Any chance you want me to help?

There was a corruption issue in the firmwares prior to 0.8.2, but those who have upgraded to the newest firmware have the fix. We announced it on the list and I believe it's on the Wiki as well.

Jim
Last edited by brain on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.