My New Project

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

NO disrespect to the hardware. I love the uIEC. I wouldn't have attempted such a project unless I had one. The redesign looks lovely. I would like to immediately buy one of the new daughtercards (I'm sure the main unit is fine). Thanks so much for letting me know about it.

As for the lost(?) data, I have no idea. I opened the files in notepad and on the VIC -- PEEKING each memory location give me zeros, but the files are the right size. It has only affected the files I need (possibly saved in the same area on the SD as they were recent saves). I'll take any help I can get. I'll do some research on this, but I have no experience on pulling images from SD cards. I'll google it.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

brain wrote:Here is a picture: http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/uIEC/uIEC_SD.
There's a period on the end of the link which breaks it. Try http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/uIEC/uIEC_SD to see the image.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Anyone want to recommend recovery software? (preferably free)
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

I suspect the file chaining is gone, but we can probably grab the individual sectors and rechain them. I need a image of the entire SD card. Use this tool (http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12), which is a little Windows app that can image an entire SD card. Image the entire card and get the image to me.

Jim
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'm so sorry. I hope Jim or someone else can help you recover most of your project.

I just can't decide what is worse: get a lot done and see it go wasted, or never get motivated to start doing something, keeping procrastinating for months or years.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

carlsson wrote:I'm so sorry. I hope Jim or someone else can help you recover most of your project.

I just can't decide what is worse: get a lot done and see it go wasted, or never get motivated to start doing something, keeping procrastinating for months or years.
I concur a million times over. I once worked on a C64 project in the 1980s for about 4-5 months only to see it all be wasted because of a faulty 1541 disk drive. There were no backups.

I really hope that most of Jeff's SD card can be salvaged.

As for your dilemma, I'd say that the former is worse -- it feels like a bullet going right through your heart. I had forgotten what it was like to lose a lot of work on a project until Jeff came up with the bad news.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

carlsson wrote: I just can't decide what is worse: get a lot done and see it go wasted, or never get motivated to start doing something, keeping procrastinating for months or years.
From an emotional point of view, the former would hurt a lot more, but in the long-term you can learn from the experience to both avoid past mistakes and improve your next project.

The advantage with procrastination is that you get to consider the project in a lot more depth. Stanley Kubrick's last three films were made over a period of 19 years -- The Shining (1980), Full Metal Jacket (1987) and Eyes Wide Shut (1999). On the whole, I would sooner watch a film/read a book that took years to produce than something that was whipped up in a few months to meet a commercial deadline.

One way or another, I think you should persevere with your project, Jeff. If the boys can get your files back, great. If not, take the experience and use it to improve your work.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Now that a little time has passed, and I'm over my tantrum, I'm feeling much better about this. I've learned my lesson about backups and realized the project wasn't such a big deal. I have a new idea already.

I'm going to replace the cable to my uIEC and just use a disk drive for now. I'm uploading an image of my card as per Jim's instructions, but if the info is lost, I'm not going to sweat it. They're only basic games. I can make more in no time.

My short vacation from the VIC is over. Thanks for dealing with my drama. Back to programming... :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

FYI: I uploaded an image of the SD; Jim's going to take a look at it. If anyone else has experience rescuing data, let me know in case we need it. Whether the information is rescued or not, I still play to have a project (one way or another) ready and available November 28th. :D
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Good luck on the dead line! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

95% on Nov. 27th. I still need to make photocopy manuals and take a test package to the post office for weight. Even if I am done by deadline, I may not get pics up until Monday night.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Gee, you don't have a letter scale at home? I wouldn't survive without.. well, a slight exaggeration but you see what I mean.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I don't have a scale because I'm not a drug dealer. :lol: I want to estimate it at $5 shipping, but I can't calculate overseas shipping. So, maybe I should just say 5 - 10 donation to cover shipping. I wish I could make it another gift, but I don't have enough to go around.

I'm working on the last details. I don't know how much I want to say about it because I think much of it should be a surprise, but I think you'll all be impressed. 99% done. I hope to ship by next Friday. How long do you think it'll take to make the journey to your VICs?
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Hopefully not too long! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Jeff-20 wrote: How long do you think it'll take to make the journey to your VICs?
On average, goods from the US/Canada take anything from 10 days to 3 weeks to get to destinations in the UK (depending on Customs). I am occasionally surprised -- the Mega-Cart arrived from Toronto in the space of 3/4 days.