Post by brain »

http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/con ... uerade_PCB

Interest is being gauged at this time.

Jim
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

What is it? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Vic to 64 adaptor - what can I do with it?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Ian is correct, it electrically allows 64 cartridges to plug into the VIC-20.

If the cart is an IO cart (64NIC+, SL, T232, etc.), it will show up in IO2/IO3 for your programming enjoyment. If it's an EPROM cart, you'll need to ensure a VIC-compatible version of the program is on the cartridge.

Jim
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Vic to 64 adaptor - what can I do with it?
Nope, IMHO more a C64-to-VIC20 adaptor. It enables you to use C64 cartridges on a VIC-20. For this you need to solder a socket on the C64 side of the PCB.

Mirroring the PCB ie. making a VIC20-to C64 adaptor of it, makes less sense. IO2 of the C64 is only able to cover 256 bytes, to less to read the 8192 bytes of BLK5 for example.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

What price range are we talking about? I surely could be interested if the costs are moderate. Among other things, it would allow you to manufacture or buy newly made C64 cartridge boards and use those on the VIC-20 in case you want to manufacture own VIC cartridges on a whim. I'm sure someone could manufacture real VIC cartridge boards too if the demand is high, but this adapter device adds more function as Jim points out.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

brain wrote:If the cart is an IO cart (64NIC+, SL, T232, etc.), it will show up in IO2/IO3 for your programming enjoyment. If it's an EPROM cart, you'll need to ensure a VIC-compatible version of the program is on the cartridge.
Very cool. I'd love to use my 64NIC+ on a VIC - might be the easiest way to get an RR-Net compatible cartridge for it. But you'd need a cart expander and memory expansion too, unless there's a TCP/IP stack in 3.5 K :wink:
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Schema wrote:
brain wrote:If the cart is an IO cart (64NIC+, SL, T232, etc.), it will show up in IO2/IO3 for your programming enjoyment. If it's an EPROM cart, you'll need to ensure a VIC-compatible version of the program is on the cartridge.
Very cool. I'd love to use my 64NIC+ on a VIC - might be the easiest way to get an RR-Net compatible cartridge for it. But you'd need a cart expander and memory expansion too, unless there's a TCP/IP stack in 3.5 K :wink:
I can add RAM, but that's going to increase the board size and price a bit. And, if I do that, should I add FLASH ROM, switches to bank in various RAM combos, etc.?

Let me know.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If it can co-exist with a cart expander and other cartridges, e.g. memory expansions I'd say go for the easiest solution. This is not a mass market product that needs to cover all bases, rather it would be a very specific developers' tool I think. Otherwise you are soon halfways to the Final Expansion but with a C64 cartridge port at the end.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It reminds me of the Famicom to NES converter found inside of Gyromite. Cool.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I picked up one of these from brain at World of Commodore.

I haven't been able to do much with it yet, apart from confirming that I get a Link light on a 64NIC+ connected to my VIC using it.
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Schema wrote:I picked up one of these from brain at World of Commodore.

I haven't been able to do much with it yet, apart from confirming that I get a Link light on a 64NIC+ connected to my VIC using it.
I picked one up as well, but as yet it is not tested. It occured to me that this would make an easy way to backup C64 cartridges since they won't autostart... or would they... hmmm. Anyway, something to try.

Steve
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

sjgray wrote:It occured to me that this would make an easy way to backup C64 cartridges since they won't autostart... or would they... hmmm. Anyway, something to try.
Excellent idea!

They wouldn't autostart since the VIC kernal is looking for "CBMA0" instead of "CBM80" (as used on C64 carts).