World of Commodore 2009

Discuss anything related to the VIC
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

World of Commodore 2009

Post by gklinger »

Please visit the new World of Commodore or TPUG websites for more information about the show. The TPUG website also has forums now so if you have any questions or suggestions about the World of Commodore or TPUG in general, please feel free to post them in the forums (they're open to members and non-member alike).

So, who's coming?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Is this an annual thing? It's a bit short notice for me at the moment but I could probably just about make it for December 2010.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really wanted to go this year, but it may be too short notice. I have no idea where even to stay in Toronto. I only vaguely remember how to take a bus from the airport to the shopping district, but that was years ago. I was really excited about the idea of going this time. :( If anyone is coming up from the midwest and have already made arrangements, let me know!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

English Invader wrote:Is this an annual thing?
Yes, it is. Next year's World of Commodore will be held on December 4, 2010.

Jeff-20 wrote:I really wanted to go this year, but it may be too short notice. I have no idea where even to stay in Toronto.
The easiest thing to do would be to stay at the hotel the event is being held in. I would be glad to pick you up and drop you off at the airport. I do that for quite a few out of town guests including the guy that organizes ECCC (he flies in from Chicago). Last year he and I and a couple of other guys hit a retro toy and video game store, had some lunch and then checked in at the hotel and relaxed for a while. There's always an informal dinner gathering on Friday which is usually quite fun and we usually have time to squeeze in some silliness on the Sunday before people fly out. Basically, you come to Toronto and I'll sort the rest out.

Check out the website for more info on the hotel. It's quite nice and affordable by Toronto standards.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I'll be there! I plan on doing a VIC demo, probably on the MIDI stuff which will have matured significantly by then.

I'll also have my (now functional) VIC-1001 on display.

Jeff, hope you can make it (and those two things may entice you).
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Can't promise anything right now, but rest assured that if I do attend, I will bring my camcorder and post footage for all to enjoy like I did last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=354iGpIFW6k
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

I've done the homework and a trip to Canada for Dec 2010 is just within my means :D . Passport renewal £77.50, return flight to Toronto £329 and a week's accomodation at the Admiral Inn £420.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

English Invader wrote:I[...]and a week's accomodation at the Admiral Inn £420.
If you're thinking of spending a week and visiting Toronto I would recommend spending Friday and Saturday nights at the Admiral Inn and then switching to a downtown hotel for the remainder of your stay. The Admiral Inn is about 30kms west of the part of the city with the museums, art galleries, nightclubs, historical sites and all that sort of thing. Come to think of it, staying an extra night at the Admiral Inn would make it easier to take a day trip (one hour's drive each) to see Niagara Falls. It's considerably more impressive in person than in photos and well worth your time.

Back to WoC 2009 for a second... if you're coming and/or have any specific hardware needs, please let us know here. The more we know in advance, the better we can plan. Thanks!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

English Invader wrote:Passport renewal £77.50
Wow! I suppose it is a very advanced multifunctional passport which can be used as national ID and lots more? An application for passport in Sweden costs "only" about £35, which is less than half of what you'd pay.

On the other hand it seems a round-trip to Toronto would cost me around £400 if not more. While not unthinkable, I would have to look a bit more before making a decision for a future event.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

gklinger wrote:Come to think of it, staying an extra night at the Admiral Inn would make it easier to take a day trip (one hour's drive each) to see Niagara Falls. It's considerably more impressive in person than in photos and well worth your time.
I second that. When I was ten my family had a 4-week vacation in Canada and the USA. We drove through parts of Ontario, Québec, and down the US east coast to Washington, D.C. Niagara Falls is still one of my fondest memories from that trip almost 30 years ago.

Which reminds me, I just have to visit North America soon - haven't been there as an adult. Can't make it to WoC though :-(
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

carlsson wrote:
English Invader wrote:Passport renewal £77.50
Wow! .
I was pretty shocked when I saw it as well. When I bought a passport eleven years ago it was about £35.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Thought I'd give this thread a bump as a reminder, so one can book their hotels for the event before they forget :P

Also, I was wondering if anyone has a spare wired router (something that won't kill my speed like an "N") (don't need wireless) and 20' of LAN cable (with appropriate connectors of course) they could bring to the show that they don't require anymore?

Looking to hook my Blu-ray up to the internet, but don't want to spend the $75-$100 on a $189 player that I don't know how much I'd use the feature (firmware updates and Youtube playing on the plasma that I can see as I don't like paying for movies when you can... :twisted: )

Let me know what you'd want for them and when you're going to be there etc...

Thanks
B
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

:cry: I can't go!!! :cry:
Be normal.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

eslapion wrote::cry: I can't go!!! :cry:
Aw, crap. No chance at all?
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

eslapion wrote::cry: I can't go!!! :cry:
And I had an idea for a new hardware project to discuss :twisted: