School me on RAM expansion

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

School me on RAM expansion

Post by InfernalKeith »

OK, VIC is alive and well, Datasette (the old school model!) is working great... now on to the next great question. I have an 8K expansion cart. I've seen reference to 16K and 32K expansions. There's a 24K expansion module up on ebay right now.

Are 32K expansion modules hard to come by? I'm assuming I'll need one if I wanna play the new Realms of Quest game.

If anyone could break it down for me, or point me to where it's already been broken down, I'd appreciate it. I assume when you talk about writing a program for an "unexpanded" VIC you're referring to the actual 3.5K that's in the console, with no expansion at all?

Thanks, all!
Keith
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: School me on RAM expansion

Post by gklinger »

InfernalKeith wrote:Are 32K expansion modules hard to come by? I'm assuming I'll need one if I wanna play the new Realms of Quest game.
They're not that hard to find because one of your fellow Denial members, eslapion, designed and builds 32K RAM expanders. There's some info in a post I made last month which you can find here.
I assume when you talk about writing a program for an "unexpanded" VIC you're referring to the actual 3.5K that's in the console, with no expansion at all?
Right.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Final Expansion is what you need !
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Maybe it would be better for you to buy a Megacart or a Final Expansion.

This modern carts can act as a software configurable RAM expansion and has many other features additionally.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

The Mega-Cart is highly recommended and should meet all of your RAM expansion needs for the conceivable future. It's also available for sale now, although it's true that you'll be on be on a waiting list for a couple of months before you receive it. Still, it's worth it. I have one, and am very happy with it. It includes cart game images, disk game images, utilities, etc.

http://www.mega-cart.com/
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I have both the Megacart and the FE3.

They are both very good.

I prefer FE3 as I can flash tape games and utilities of choice to the cartridge for very fast loading and eventually I will have all my Vic20 software on one SD card on the built in SD2IEC floppy disk replacement.

It is a very neat solution to have floppy support via SD card and a mega configurable rampack and configurable flashcart all in one device.

Other modes untested include use of 512kb expansion in 64kb pages!
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Vic20-Ian wrote:I have both the Megacart and the FE3.

They are both very good.
Yes, my opinion is that the FE3 (that user needs to assemble for himself) is directed to "power" vic users while the Megacart is directed also to peoples that are new in the vic world, and just want to quikly play/test all cart games ever released for the Vic plus an easy to configure ram expansion and much more.
saehn wrote:The Mega-Cart is highly recommended and should meet all of your RAM expansion needs for the conceivable future. It's also available for sale now, although it's true that you'll be on be on a waiting list for a couple of months before you receive it. Still, it's worth it. I have one, and am very happy with it. It includes cart game images, disk game images, utilities, etc.

http://www.mega-cart.com/
From the Mega-Cart order page:
Units are currently in production, due order backlog there is about a 3 week lead time between order & shipping dates.

If you are lucky maybe a little bit less too :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

nbla000 wrote:From the Mega-Cart order page: Units are currently in production, due order backlog there is about a 3 week lead time between order & shipping dates.

If you are lucky maybe a little bit less too :wink:
Whoa, that's even better! Nice. :-)
Mermaid
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Mermaid »

3 weeks? I ordered my Mega-Cart on the 29th of September...

...and it was shipped October 7th!

Much faster than I had expected :)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mermaid wrote:3 weeks? I ordered my Mega-Cart on the 29th of September...

...and it was shipped October 7th!

Much faster than I had expected :)
You were very lucky :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

It took me two years from my first (non-working) Vic 20 purchase until I finally got everything out of boxes at our new house, set it up, and got it working. What's a few more weeks? :)

Thanks for all the information, guys. I'm not much of a hardware builder, so I think the Mega-cart will def. be the way to go for me. Now if I can just resist the urge to start collecting all the original tapes and carts, like I try to do for the TI, I'll be fine -- oh, who am I kidding. ;)