Any potential damage to VIC by powering on...?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

thebytewasbit
Vic 20 Newbie

Any potential damage to VIC by powering on...?

Post by thebytewasbit »

Sorry if this is a stupid question :oops: but is there any danger of potential damage to the VIC if it is powered on w/ out any cartridge inserted or any tape/disk drive attached?
6502dude
megacart

Re: Any potential damage to VIC by powering on...?

Post by 6502dude »

thebytewasbit wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question :oops: but is there any danger of potential damage to the VIC if it is powered on w/ out any cartridge inserted or any tape/disk drive attached?
Yes!
Vic-20 will not operate correctly without a MegaCart installed in cart slot. :wink:

On serious side, you should not have any problem powering up a vic-20 without any accessories attached.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
thebytewasbit
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by thebytewasbit »

:lol:

The MegaCart does look pretty awesome however I'm pretty broke at the moment. :cry:

However assuming that I'll have the time to get my VIC up & running soon, I'll take a look @ it sometime. 8)
channelmaniac
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by channelmaniac »

And now for the rest of the story...

There shouldn't be any damage by plugging in serial port devices with the power on... but I'd turn it off before plugging those in anyway.

Cartridges, user port devices, and cassette players should always be installed/removed with the power off.

Joysticks and paddles can be installed/removed with the power on, but you should be very careful of static electricity zaps to those ports. Many a VIC and C64 have been killed by that.

RJ

PS: Apologies to Paul Harvey fans. ;)
Call me a cheap bastard... I learned to fix things to save money... even surface mount soldering...

Visit my website: http://www.arcadecomponents.com