Visible Solar System Bug?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Visible Solar System Bug?

Post by BBQedIguana »

Hi guys,

I recently bought the VIC-1930 cartridge - The Visible Solar System. Seems to work excellently, except when in "P" mode (for Planets), I can only seem to toggle through Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn using the "P" key. The instructions clearly indicate I should also be able to view Mercury and Venus, but alas they do not come up.

I tried it also in VICE using a download of the .prg from Zimmers, and it does the same thing - so I'm guessing it's either a bug in the software, or I missed something in the instructions.

Has anyone else run into this? Just curious if old age is catching up on me, or if there actually is a problem.

Thanks!

Rick
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Visible Solar System Bug?

Post by orion70 »

Hi Rick,
BBQedIguana wrote:I'm guessing it's either a bug in the software, or I missed something in the instructions.
I think you missed something in the instructions (page 7):
The VISIBLE SOLAR SYSTEM contains detailed models of the planets Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Mercury, Venus, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are outside the viewing range of your starship.
"outside the viewing range of your starship" = "outside the RAM capabilities of your VIC-20". :wink:
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

So it's about time to reprise Visible Solar System, with all planets - and their data ...? :mrgreen:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:D Absolutely.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Now there's a fun idea. Visible Solar System 2009 Edition!

And Pluto isn't a planet anymore, so there's one less to do ;-)
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Visible Solar System Bug?

Post by BBQedIguana »

orion70 wrote:I think you missed something in the instructions (page 7):
The VISIBLE SOLAR SYSTEM contains detailed models of the planets Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Mercury, Venus, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are outside the viewing range of your starship.
"outside the viewing range of your starship" = "outside the RAM capabilities of your VIC-20". :wink:
Ah! That would be it! Thanks for pointing that out. :) I appreciate it. (Must be getting old and low on RAM myself...)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

How about an extended version that loads data about all known bodies in space, including stars and galaxies far, far away? While Commodore were limited to 8-16K of space, a modern version could easily use 166K of a floppy disk or even multiple disks if required.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

It would be great. Something like a scaled-down version of Stellarium or Dance of the Planets...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Give it until Thursday, and I'm sure Mike has whipped up at least a working prototype using Mini-Grafik. 8)
Anders Carlsson

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Mike, are you reading this thread? All amateur astronomers here are waiting for your suggestions... :D
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Yes, I'm reading it. :)

Some quick research about the amount of data: I envision the program should at least display stars up to 4th magnitude, that'll be ~700 stars with their rectascension and declination, name, magnitude, and class.

Then Sun, Moon (with phase), Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus (although that one already is 5th mag) - for Neptune you already need a small telescope.

The Sun, and the planets already require your position on earth to be taken into account, so positions of some big cities will have to be included as well. And the date calculation.

Only some rough thoughts at the moment, and preferably I'd like to do that not as a one-man project. Any volunteers?
carlsson wrote:... using Mini-Grafik.
Of course. :mrgreen:

Greetings,

Michael
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I could collect positional data from tables in the internet, and provide physical data about stars and extra-galactic objects, along with their Messier catalog number.

Let's give us some day to think about the program structure, and let people join the project, then we will be able to open another thread: the Very Integrated Cosmology (VIC) program. :P
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I've already begun on a very crude adaption of Uranus by Holst. :lol:
Anders Carlsson

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Excellent- even if it's unusual to begin with the soundtrack :wink: .
Uranus is also a great name for the program itself:

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, I made that music a year ago or more so no new developments. And I'll freely admit the working title in my music program is "your anus". :oops:
Anders Carlsson