Should I develop for tape or disk or both?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

What version would you most like to see?

Tape ONLY - disk version is just wrong
No votes
Prefer tape
15%
Both tape and disk, please
26%
Prefer disk
41%
Disk ONLY - Tape version is a waste of time
15%
Cartridge - I refuse any other media
4%

Total votes: 27

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Prefer disk.

Please note that there are a lot of active vic user with a full memory expansion too: Ultimate Expander, Final Expansion, Mega-Cart for example

So 16/24k game with some data on BLK5 is not a big problem in these days :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Ok. I like disk too.. But I did choise cart.. Its so easy to use :D

But maybe there can be only one cart.. Megacart.. 8)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Drats! I wanted to develop something for tape format. Now it seems no one will really want it!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You could make a game which sequentially loads "endless" amounts of data. If you use a tape turbo that is at least 5X regular transfer rate, you could fit about 300 kB per side on a C60. That should not be impossible to do.

If you can get ahold of a tape turbo that loads at 10X without errors and combine with C90 media, I believe you could cram in 900K per side. That is more than five sides of a floppy disk. Imagine a VIC-20 mega game that has some 500-700K of sequentially loading game data.

Yes, the difference between a tape turbo and a disk turbo is that while both make loading faster, the tape turbo will also use less magnetic media so you can store a lot more on the same amount of tape.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Do you need a Turbo-Tape ?

Take a look to my Turbo-Tape 2.0, it is included on Mega-Cart and when you have turbo-saved programs or datas you don't need it for turbo-loading.
You may turbo-save your programs with Turbo-Tape 2.0 and users do not need it for turbo-loading your program, just LOAD with a normal Vic without any tool.

For example, this is the tap file of the turbo-taped version of Tetris+ for Vics+3K, if you try it on Vice you may see that it takes about 10 seconds for loading.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I don't know about you guys, but I think the stringy drive is the wave of the future:

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/06/strange_compute.html

:wink:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

nbla000 wrote:Do you need a Turbo-Tape ?
how exactly does this work? How does
it speed up the program without lowering reliability?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:how exactly does this work? How does
it speed up the program without lowering reliability?
Normal kernal routines writes the program to the tape many times while turbo-tapes simple write programs once, so you need good tapes if you think to preserve it.

TurboTape 2.0 code is based on Compute!s gazette TurboTape (July 1985 - Issue 25, Vol. 3, No. 7), after Fixed by DR. B. v1.2 there is a full detail of a first version published on ISSUE 56 / JANUARY 1985 / PAGE 124.

My version allows to speed-up any vic program for any memory configuration and unexpanded program that uses all 3.5kb.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

nbla000 wrote:Normal kernal routines writes the program to the tape many times while ...
Twice, to be exact. The copy is there to check whether it is identical to the original. Otherwise a ?LOAD ERROR results. Errors can only be detected with this scheme, but not corrected.

The turbo-tapes also use an own, faster, signal modulation. This really doesn't pose any problems regarding signal quality, as the highest frequencies involved are still lower than, say, 4 kHz - while a good tape makes good recordings at 8 kHz, or more.

More important is the resilience against different recording speeds. Whether a slow tape read back on a fast tape works, and vice versa, sorts out good tape speeders from bad ones. Tape speeds can differ by 10%.

Michael
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Jeff-20 wrote:Drats! I wanted to develop something for tape format. Now it seems no one will really want it!
Why not make BOTH a tape and a disk version?
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.