WIP: the Mystery of Silver Mountain

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

WIP: the Mystery of Silver Mountain

Post by orion70 »

Hello all. I just bought the manual of this Usborne Adventure, which makes a trio with Dungeon of Doom from "Write Your Own Fantasy Games" and the Island of Secrets. It's very well done, and resembles IoS in graphics and design (comic style, map, and fully illustrated story). I will scan it and produce a playable 40-column version ASAP.

I will be away from the PC for one week, so see you after Aug 24th :D .
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Good luck and see you then! :)

TBH: I got the book a while ago to give this a try but had no idea what to do with the 40 column programmy stuff so gave up... :(
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 is the hardest working man in the VIC-20 dev community today.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: WIP: the Mystery of Silver Mountain

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:I will be away from the PC for one week, so see you after Aug 24th :D .
Me too, see you next week :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ghislain wrote:orion70 is the hardest working man in the VIC-20 dev community today.
This is utterly exaggerated. :D
Done with the conversion, I'm currently play-testing the adventure, and waiting for the Sunday lunch with my fiancée's parents, who happen to have a scanner :wink: .
nbla000 wrote:Me too, see you next week :wink:
Nicola, my week on the mountains was wonderful... We had to sleep under a duvet, and this was relaxing after the hot summer :P .
How was your week off?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:Nicola, my week on the mountains was wonderful... We had to sleep under a duvet, and this was relaxing after the hot summer :P .
How was your week off?
WOW, exactly the same :shock:

Where you was ? in the National Abruzzo Park like me ?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Nope, the Alps. They are much closer to the place where I live. Silvia and I were in Val Badia (Marmolada). Wonderful place to visit (we slept in Campill/Longiarù, which is the same place in German and Italian/Ladin).

My grand-daddy was in the National Park in Abruzzo in his youth. He saw bears there... I'd like to go there in the future.

Welcome back Nicola! :D
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Job completed. As usual, please report bugs and/or problems. I didn't have much time to play-test it, but the conversion was made from the (tested) C64 version found in the Gamebase 64.

Have fun with it! :D

DOWNLOADS: see HERE.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Nice work, 40 cols is your specialization now :wink:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks- the real reason why I prefer 40 columns is that this mode brings the VIC to the same level of computers where most text adventures were played. I wish that also Z-code adventures were in 40 cols, but a resizable screen width and height with default characters is OK anyway.

BTW, TNT, where are you? Any news about the development of Z-machine on the VIC? I successfully tested all the Z2/Z3 games- why don't you publish the disk images for the working adventures?

See what I've got on the PC from the month of May... too bad others can't enjoy this handful of good stuff :D .

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
You and TNT have got all those gems running on the Vic?! I loved Planetfall and, of course, the Zork games...played them on the Miggy many moons ago. Them were the days. *sigh*

EDIT: Wrong name! :oops:
Last edited by Pedro Lambrini on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Yes, I'm one of the beta-testers helping TNT, who created a Z-machine interpreter for the VIC: with this, one can play virtually all the early Infocom gems, in their original splendor. See the original thread for more info.

No updates about TNT's work since June, when he wrote that he was busy at the Lemon64 forum. He took some more time to debug and release a final version of the V3 engine, before working on the V4/V5. Unfortunately, he told me that Sherlock (V5) was way too big to fit into the VIC memory, so bad news for me :cry: .

Hope he will read these lines, so that he can show up and tell us what's going on :P .
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Sorry to continue the OT but: I had been following that thread for a couple of pages but hadn't realised just how close it has become to a reality. That would really be amazing! Especially if we could use Inform for our own games...How fast does it run? Are there any big compromises being made, at all??

Anyway, back on topic *ahem*: Great work with Silver Mountain! I still haven't really sat down with it but I'm really looking forward to getting some quality time with it soon... :)

PS: Sorry about Sherlock - that would've been cool! Oh, and I bumped the original Z-code thread to try to rouse TNT!
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

OT:
Pedro Lambrini wrote:Especially if we could use Inform for our own games...How fast does it run?
Inform games are slower than those compiled with Zilch. I bet there is a PC interpreter which can show number of opcodes processed - play the original Zork I for dozen or so moves and compare numbers with Inform 7 Dungeon. That will give you a rough estimate of how many more opcodes Inform games execute compared to Zilch games. Note that opcode distribution is different (see The Z-Machine Standards Document: statistics) and different opcodes need different amount of time to execute. My Z-machine is optimized for Zilch.
yakumo9275
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by yakumo9275 »

comparing zilch to i7 is just wrong. i7 is so bleagh to begin with (That whole NLP garbage). You should compare to a straight I6 written game. I know I7 outputs I6 source but its a completely different beast.

I wouldnt think there would be a huge difference in a zilch v5 to inform v5 created game. Its been so long I dont remember but I think inform 5 could create v3 story files, which would make a more interesting comparision.

Dont forget too, comparing old zilch story files to inform, they have totally different world models underneath.